ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Johnson

So let me make sure I’ve got this straight. According to you it’s possible Barbee would want come back but you can’t elaborate on that, even though as of a couple weeks ago, you were 70% sure that Ron Sanchez will be our next coach. Change in winds, or what?
First of all, please read and comprehend! Did I say he's going to be the next coach? Or did I clarify that he has expressed interest? Sorry for your confusion.

Natty, just because Barbee has interest doesn't mean Senter does.
Wow some people can't read. Please re read and express to me where I said Barbee will be next coach and Senter is interested in him and I'll by you Season Tickets to Utep Football!

First of all, please read and comprehend! Did I say he's going to be the next coach? Or did I clarify that he has expressed interest? Sorry for your confusion.

I did read what you said and I understood your wording just fine. I was looking for clarification to BETTER comprehend the CONTEXT in which a couple of your statements were made.

If it is NOTHING more than mere interest on the part of Barbee, in the possibility of coaching here again, I’m just not sure why that would need to be kept on the downlow. If there was more to it, I could understand.

And...if there is more to it, does that decrease the chances of your previous statement that you are 70% sure Sanchez will be our next head bb coach? Did that have any legs or was that just a stab in the dark?

By the way, I wasn’t calling you out. Just curious.

Barbee showed he wasn’t interested in El Paso when he was here. He used UTEP as a steppingstone, which is fine. I hope the next coach does the same, which means we will be winning. Who ever that coach is needs to a least pretend to be interested in the community. Let Barbee stay where he is at.

Reactions: miner1liner
Who ever that coach is needs to a least pretend to be interested in the community.

If UTEP wins I don't care if that coach is interested in the community. Floyd loves El Paso and look how that turned out.

Last edited:
If UTEP wins I don't care that coach is interested in the community. Floyd loves El Paso and look how that turned out.
I believe that was a factor in fans not showing up to the games. Hope it was that and not his race. We know he can recruit and coach.

I believe that was a factor in fans not showing up to the games. Hope it was that and not his race. We know he can recruit and coach.

In Barbee's last year, UTEP was 58th in attendance at 8,697 per game. Ahead of Notre Dame, UCLA, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, San Diego St, and Butler. Only about 600 per game less than Duke.

People came, just not everyone buys tickets to see the awful Non-Conference games.

8700 in arena that holds over 12000 is not packed, yes the attendance was way better than it is now but the teams we played were better. Utep would love that 8700 now. But I believe we can do better.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
8700 in arena that holds over 12000 is not packed, yes the attendance was way better than it is now but the teams we played were better. Utep would love that 8700 now. But I believe we can do better.

There were many games over 10,000 and some sellouts. Non-conference games don't draw well when you're playing crappy teams.

I did read what you said and I understood your wording just fine. I was looking for clarification to BETTER comprehend the CONTEXT in which a couple of your statements were made.

If it is NOTHING more than mere interest on the part of Barbee, in the possibility of coaching here again, I’m just not sure why that would need to be kept on the downlow. If there was more to it, I could understand.

And...if there is more to it, does that decrease the chances of your previous statement that you are 70% sure Sanchez will be our next head bb coach? Did that have any legs or was that just a stab in the dark?

And that's what I was referring to. Maybe you should write more clearly.
A LOT of times I don't type what I am thinking and it comes out as jibberish...much like yours did.

TBH, other than this message board, I have never heard anything about Barbee not being liked while he was our head coach. He brought in some of the arguably most popular players. If anything, everyone I was around was excited about the street ball aspect. Especially post Doc.

TBH, other than this message board, I have never heard anything about Barbee not being liked while he was our head coach. He brought in some of the arguably most popular players. If anything, everyone I was around was excited about the street ball aspect. Especially post Doc.

It was awful when he got booed when they had the 1966 celebration when they showed him on the video board. There are some fans that don't like him, but it's not that many.

Winning cures everything. If we do hire Barbee and he turns things around, the fans who booed him and don’t like him will be at the games.

And that's what I was referring to. Maybe you should write more clearly.
A LOT of times I don't type what I am thinking and it comes out as jibberish...much like yours did.

Wait...what? Why you knocking me?

I was addressing natty, not you.

Yes Barbee said if asked he and his wife would be interested in returning ok. Now is there interest on Uteps side that I do not know

I remember Barbee was on Sportstalk a couple months back and he talked about how he and his wife still had friends in El Paso who often visit them in Kentucky.
Personally I don’t care who we get as long as it’s the best candidate. Just like in football, we all thought the Dimel hire was trash because it wasn’t a candidate we had heard of but at the moment it looks like it is a good hire. If Barbee, or any coach for that matter has the right vision and drive to get it done then I’m all for it.

Bring back Barbee. If we we hired Nick Sabans top assistant to be our next football HC all of us would be ecstatic. Don’t see why we wouldn’t be happy with Barbee. He has already proven he can recruit, win conference titles, make NCAA tournament, advance in the post season, sell out the Don, etc what more proof do we need?

Reactions: unihom and EPTUTEP
Bring back Barbee. If we we hired Nick Sabans top assistant to be our next football HC all of us would be ecstatic. Don’t see why we wouldn’t be happy with Barbee. He has already proven he can recruit, win conference titles, make NCAA tournament, advance in the post season, sell out the Don, etc what more proof do we need?
I was always alienated by what I interpreted as an arrogant and unfriendly demeanor. He always demonstrated an attitude that I felt indicated that he really did not want to be in EP and couldn't wait to get away. I can't recall specifics, but I know he did not endear himself to El Pasoans during his stay. Can't argue with his W-L record here but it was just the opposite at Auburn in fact it stunk.

I'm not saying he's coming and I can't say exactly what he said, cause that's not your business or my business to tell unless I was told tell everyone. I'm not media, but if I have inside Utep info I find I gladly share. In this case I was told not to. All I'm saying is your wrong that hedh have no interest in coming back. That's All Folks!

He would gladly accept a head coaching job again even if it was UTEP! He would be so lucky to even be considered once again.
Proved nothing! A few years and left the cupboard completely bare! Moved on and couldn't win. If he is absolutely the best candidate for the job, then let's get him. Too many better fish out in the wide sea of qualified assistants out there. #noshrimponthebarbee

Reactions: Dmanminer
I personally don't feel he'll be the top candidate even rhouth he's interested. Again I don't know for sure, just people I've talked to say Ron Sanchez is No. 1 candidate and then Steve Forbes. Sanchez we could probably get for $500-600,000 Forbes would probably come with a $750-900,000 price tag and I don't know that Natalicio and Senter will pay that kind of money. I think they should as Steve Forbes will be a High Major coach very soon and could spark this program back to respectability. Lastly I loved the last year Barbee was here and just had a sour taste after he left. Probably, due to the fact that we all know had he stayed and all the pieces including Character staying that following year would've been a sweet 16 or even better type team. Oh what if and how far we've fallen

Its the popular thing to do.

St Johns hired Chris Mullin
Georgetown Hired Ewing

Now its Uteps turn.

Its the popular thing to do.

St Johns hired Chris Mullin
Georgetown Hired Ewing

Now its Uteps turn.

Mullin is 35-56 and is in his 3rd year at St. John's. Currently 2-11 and dead ****ing last in the Big East.

Ewing loaded up on cupcakes in the non-Conference and is in 8th place in the Big East.

Not really two good examples for those wanting Hardaway or Foster. Danny Manning isn't doing so hot at Wake.

Can you name 1 solid NBA player who excelled at being a college coach?

Dan Majerle is doing pretty good at Grand Canyon.

He has made 3 CITs, finished 2nd in the WAC, and wouldn't have made the NIT or NCAA even if they would have been eligible. Unless they win the WAC tournament, they aren't going to the NCAA or NIT either.

That's pretty good for a WAC school, but for anyone else?

Mullin is 35-56 and is in his 3rd year at St. John's. Currently 2-11 and dead ****ing last in the Big East.

Ewing loaded up on cupcakes in the non-Conference and is in 8th place in the Big East.

Not really two good examples for those wanting Hardaway or Foster. Danny Manning isn't doing so hot at Wake.

Can you name 1 solid NBA player who excelled at being a college coach?

Bob Hurley?
Kevin Ollie?

Point Guards are better coaches

He has made 3 CITs, finished 2nd in the WAC, and wouldn't have made the NIT or NCAA even if they would have been eligible. Unless they win the WAC tournament, they aren't going to the NCAA or NIT either.

That's pretty good for a WAC school, but for anyone else?

Very true, but I think his record is good considering Grand Canyon has only been Division I since 2013.

If Grand Canyon was eligible I think they would have a shot, but we'll see this year. They were up by about 10 points against NMSU on Saturday, but ended up losing by 4.

Reactions: unihom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT