ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Johnson

Does anybody thinks Johnson knows what he's doing?
This game was somewhat painful to watch. On paper it's an officially sanctioned NCAA D1 game but I have my doubts. Two not so good teams that did not look like they could beat Sul Ross.

This game was somewhat painful to watch. On paper it's an officially sanctioned NCAA D1 game but I have my doubts. Two not so good teams that did not look like they could beat Sul Ross.

I actually think UTSA is on the right track. I've been impressed with their coaching staff. UTSA and UNT have built really solid foundations. The next hire is big for UTEP because for now UTSA and UNT have passed us. This is no time to fool around with unproven assistants. This is tough job there is one man who we know can win here. Bring Barbee back!

Reactions: El Paso 777
Just watched another fiasco. Wade hardly played, Smith only played briefly and had a positive impact, Omega didn't start and might as not have played at all, Thomas fouled out again, nobody can make free throw and where was Frazier? They pass the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds and then shoot an off balance brick after passing up open attempts. I still feel that there is talent on the floor, but it's being stifled by inept coaching. Tonight, even our most reliable free throw shooters Gilyard, Touchet and McGee were a combined 3-9 while the team was 16-34...47%. There's got to be some coaching influence involved with those pathetic numbers.
The answer is NO in capital letters; there is no coaching at all.
Next season is an eternity away.

Don’t understand the love affair with Barbee. He left as soon as he could, don’t believe he cared about this town.

It could be the fact we've been terrible for the last quarter of century. In that period we've been in top 25 one time that was barbee's team. This is a one bid league if a coach wins they will leave. I want other schools to want our coach's to want our coaches. The man's last team included three guys in the starting five that would go on to play in the NBA. The guy can recruit they all show up he plays an exciting brand of basketball and he wins. He would own this league.

He did well here and bolted. I don't blame him. He sucked horribly at Auburn and was fired. So the question I have is why hasn't he been given another shot? Easy answer: he isn't thought of as highly as some here think of him

Reactions: Dmanminer
He was a finalist for the Nevada job. I am not sure how many other jobs he applied for. Haven't heard his name mentioned for any other past openings.

After watching Johnson and his body language at the game tonight, I get the impression he doesn’t give a fu$$ and just wants this season just to be over with.

I would love for Barbee to be back, but he will never come back. He didn’t like it here and always having to hear comments about how his street ball style of offense will not work and the only way to win is by tough defense.

One thing for sure - Floyd pussied out and left his assistant's and everyone else associated with the program to stay and take the shit that was all his. If he had any character/integrity he would give Johnson and Braswell any remaining money he had coming to him this year.
General Douglas MacArthur he's not.

One thing for sure - Floyd pussied out and left his assistant's and everyone else associated with the program to stay and take the shit that was all his. If he had any character/integrity he would give Johnson and Braswell any remaining money he had coming to him this year.
General Douglas MacArthur he's not.

I don't think Floyd is getting paid for the games he didn't coach.

Johnson and Braswell don't deserve any extra money.

Johnson should have stepped down weeks ago. I hope he has a good retirement plan because he is done after this cluster fck of an effort in conference. His rotations are put together by a roulette wheel in the locker room. His in-game coaching is like watching a baby gazelle being chased by a lion. He sabatoges any player that gets in a rhythm.

This game tonight was the last I could attend this season...and thank god. I wasn't even mad. I just sat there and shook my head in disbelief. Our offense is just non-existant. We got "crushed" on the boards by a smaller team. We missed 18 free throws and 18 3-pointers. We got our token technical foul and still only lost by 4 points.

Basically both teams were a steaming pile of shit, but UTSA had an orange peanut on top. Now we've been swept by both NMSU and UTSA.

I can't wait until the end of the season when Senter introduces our next coach and we find out which players will stay. The end.

Last edited:
The end is near, and will likely come with the embarrassment of not even making the conference tournament. In many respects this season has been an even bigger disappointment than even the disastrous football season. In football, I think most anticipated a major struggle, albeit probably not a winless season. However, in basketball, the expectations were much higher based on the end of last season, the loss of just one major contributor, and the addition of a "Calvary" of new guys. Unfortunately, the season became an nearly unfathomable series of disappointments, led by a coach who quit on his team. I recall the the early season trek up to Mount Cristo Rey, and the inspiring speech given by Floyd. All that meant nothing, and I give the guys credit for continuing to compete. Senter has a huge hire to make in order to start to get this turned around. His early work engaging with the community is a nice start, but his biggest sell may be in getting buy in from the top on the importance of being successful in athletics.

Johnson should have stepped down weeks ago. I hope he has a good retirement plan because he is done after this cluster fck of an effort in conference. His rotations are put together by a roulette wheel in the locker room. His in-game coaching is like watching a baby gazelle being chased by a lion. He sabatoges any player that gets in a rhythm.

This game tonight was the last I could attend this season...and thank god. I wasn't even mad. I just sat there and shook my head in disbelief. Our offense is just non-existant. We got "crushed" on the boards by a smaller team. We missed 18 free throws and 18 3-pointers. We got our token technical foul and still only lost by 4 points.

Basically both teams were a steaming pile of shit, but UTSA had an orange peanut on top. Now we've been swept by both NMSU and UTSA.

I can't wait until the end of the season when Senter introduces our next coach and find out which players will stay. The end.
Absolutely perfect description of the sinking of The Titanic. The head shaking is exactly what I'm infected with. I've said it probably many times before, but let's hope Jim Senter has things in motion.

Reactions: axingfools1
After watching Johnson and his body language at the game tonight, I get the impression he doesn’t give a fu$$ and just wants this season just to be over with.

I would love for Barbee to be back, but he will never come back. He didn’t like it here and always having to hear comments about how his street ball style of offense will not work and the only way to win is by tough defense.
I know for a Fact your Working lol just saying. Straight from Barbees mouth. So sorry, but you are absolutely incorrect, not opinion, Fact!

I actually think UTSA is on the right track. I've been impressed with their coaching staff. UTSA and UNT have built really solid foundations. The next hire is big for UTEP because for now UTSA and UNT have passed us. This is no time to fool around with unproven assistants. This is tough job there is one man who we know can win here. Bring Barbee back!
And I hope this is a joke!

CPJ has done an admiral job with the cards dealt to him. The kids have never given up and proof is that they have been in most every game they have played! Tonight is a great example, they fought and clawed and almost pulled it out! This season was doomed when Floyd quit on the team, yet they fight every game!

Reactions: Jimmy the Miner
Just watched another fiasco. Wade hardly played, Smith only played briefly and had a positive impact, Omega didn't start and might as not have played at all, Thomas fouled out again, nobody can make free throw and where was Frazier? They pass the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds and then shoot an off balance brick after passing up open attempts. I still feel that there is talent on the floor, but it's being stifled by inept coaching. Tonight, even our most reliable free throw shooters Gilyard, Touchet and McGee were a combined 3-9 while the team was 16-34...47%. There's got to be some coaching influence involved with those pathetic numbers.
The answer is NO in capital letters; there is no coaching at all.
Next season is an eternity away.
Who cares about Frazier! He has been a bust at every school he has been to. He is not a team player, and he is selfish! I could care less if he plays another minute in a Miner uniform.

Last edited:
Reactions: PickAx
UTSA is 14-11. They're not a bad team.

This is hilarious. If UTEP was 14-11, you would say they are a horrible team.

CPJ has done an admiral job with the cards dealt to him. The kids have never given up and proof is that they have been in most every game they have played! Tonight is a great example, they fought and clawed and almost pulled it out! This season was doomed when Floyd quit on the team, yet they fight every game!

Dude, what the hell do you smoke? Can I have some? Good lord man....Johnson sucks....Floyd sucked....these kids are ballers and DO want to win. They play as best they can to try to get the win. It's just a shame Johnson ties their hands and prevents wins.

It’s a big world out there. No need to consider Barbee. We collectively complained about Bob Stull only hiring from within the UTEP family tree but yet we would want to bring Barbee back?

Reactions: Dmanminer
Well then what has come out of Barbee’s mouth about a return?
I'm not saying he's coming and I can't say exactly what he said, cause that's not your business or my business to tell unless I was told tell everyone. I'm not media, but if I have inside Utep info I find I gladly share. In this case I was told not to. All I'm saying is your wrong that he has no interest in coming back. That's All Folks!

Last edited:
It’s seems to be pretty evenly split about bringing Barbee back. He built a solid program in quick fashion. I’m one that would take him back although I question whether or not he’d have the same recruiting prowess he had 10 years ago.

Ultimately it’s the results he ushered in that I want. I honestly don’t care who the architect happens to be.

I'm not saying he's coming and I can't say exactly what he said, cause that's not your business or my business to tell unless I was told tell everyone. I'm not media, but if I have inside Utep info I find I gladly share. In this case I was told not to. All I'm saying is your wrong that hedh have no interest in coming back. That's All Folks!

So let me make sure I’ve got this straight. According to you it’s possible Barbee would want come back but you can’t elaborate on that, even though as of a couple weeks ago, you were 70% sure that Ron Sanchez will be our next coach. Change in winds, or what?

This is hilarious. If UTEP was 14-11, you would say they are a horrible team.

Dude, what the hell do you smoke? Can I have some? Good lord man....Johnson sucks....Floyd sucked....these kids are ballers and DO want to win. They play as best they can to try to get the win. It's just a shame Johnson ties their hands and prevents wins.

No I wouldn't. This is a team with a coach in his second year and they are already sweeping UTEP.

Well I hope they want to win and they don't want lose.

It’s a big world out there. No need to consider Barbee. We collectively complained about Bob Stull only hiring from within the UTEP family tree but yet we would want to bring Barbee back?

But Barbee proved that he can win here when CUSA was much better. Big difference.

I'm not saying he's coming and I can't say exactly what he said, cause that's not your business or my business to tell unless I was told tell everyone. I'm not media, but if I have inside Utep info I find I gladly share. In this case I was told not to. All I'm saying is your wrong that hedh have no interest in coming back. That's All Folks!

So all you are saying is you might have rumor that you can't can't share. LOL!!

If UTEP was that record, you would absolutely be saying they were a bad team. Everyone on this board knows that.

You can speculate all you like. UTSA is tied for 5th place with a second year head coach. They are certainly not a great team, but not a bad team either.

Natty, just because Barbee has interest doesn't mean Senter does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT