ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Terry Interview.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Here is a Youtube interview that Coach Terry did tonight. A few quick thoughts:

1.) The host stated that he has known Terry for over 20 years and he said that UTEP is Terry’s “dream job”. Coach Terry agreed.

2.) Coach Terry said that back when he graduated from College, that he was dating a girl from here in El Paso. He said that he used to drive a lot from Austin to El Paso to see her.

3.) Coach Terry really seemed to know a lot about UTEP’s history and our overall program. He mentioned Roy Smallwood being from Houston Milby high school like it happened yesterday.

4.) Coach Terry appears to be really connected amongst Texas High Schools.

5.) There is a little bit of Mountain West Conference talk. The conversation seems to imply that Gonzaga moving to the MWC is a done deal.

The Rodney Terry part of the interview starts around 1:13.

That was a pretty good listen. Feel like Terry is very grateful to be back in Texas, and at UTEP, but kind of feel like the host put words in Terry’s mouth about this being his dream job, though.

Finally had a chance to also listen to CRT’s press conference.

Offensively he says we are going to play fast, exciting and aggressive basketball. Damn, that was music to my ears. With the exception of a few brief stretches where ctf let the horses run, our offense has been a real snoozer.

Despite the good news in regards to how he wants to run the offense, I was really glad to hear coach say that our identity will rest as a defensive ball club first, though. Puts a lot of emphasis on not being outplayed or out hustled and playing hard til the end. So many times over the last half decade it has looked like our guys were just going through the motions. Not expecting an overnight turnaround, but I am ready for some hard nosed, maximum effort, grind it out, play for the guy next to you basketball.

Says he will begin using our rich bb history as a selling point while out recruiting. Seems to really want to keep Texas HS kids in state, and sell that we are still the only university in TX with a natty. Wants to go after Big12 caliber players. Really looking forward to seeing how things develop over the next couple of months.

Says he will begin using our rich bb history as a selling point while out recruiting. Seems to really want to keep Texas HS kids in state, and sell that we are still the only university in TX with a natty. Wants to go after Big12 caliber players. Really looking forward to seeing how things develop over the next couple of months.

Do you really think that a kid will want to come to UTEP just because they won a National Championship over 50 years ago?

Do you really think that a kid will want to come to UTEP just because they won a National Championship over 50 years ago?

What I think, is irrelevant. We have a coach who obviously thinks the answer to your question just might be “yes”, though. Not “just” because of the natl championship, but as a selling point.

What I think, is irrelevant. We have a coach who obviously thinks the answer to your question just might be “yes”, though.

To me as a coach I wouldn't talk about the past and would sell the city. Talk about the great weather, safest city in the country, AAA baseball team, close proximity to skiing, etc.

El Paso is unlike any other city in the Untied States and I would sell El Paso.

Reactions: LaserCoog
With today’s access to media, he just needs to sell his brand of winning basketball. Kids know they will get noticed if they deserve it. If he can win and the players like the style and the coaches they will come.

Terry is going to sell this program as he sees fit. You have to have a certain conviction in what you’re saying or people won’t buy it. You’re always going to have people say “UTEP won a title 50 years ago. So what.” When you try to sell El Paso people will say “It’s a town in the middle of nowhere.” There will always be potential negative spin to everything. You to trust the coach, I think he can play up the tradition of the program and the city. He knows what he’s doing.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Believe it or not UTEP's history does play with some recruits. I said some. I believe Antoine Gillispie was sold on it when recruited to UTEP, I'm not one hundred percent certain. I think Gilyard was sold on it as well. Look, what Fanati said is on the money, it's irrelevant what we think but then again I doubt he would have left Fresno State for Incarnate Word. Just sayin'.

To me as a coach I wouldn't talk about the past and would sell the city. Talk about the great weather, safest city in the country, AAA baseball team, close proximity to skiing, etc.

I've said this and ill say it again. Stop using El Paso as an Excuse.... Gonzaga is in Spokane for God Sakes! Just stop it!

I've said this and ill say it again. Stop using El Paso as an Excuse.... Gonzaga is in Spokane for God Sakes! Just stop it!
Don't forget Pullman and you can't leave out Lubbock, TX. Lol!

I remember a retired Marine Colonel whom I know who had a kid at Gonzaga and he told me how great it was that kids had to go to mass (yes, Gonzaga is Catholic). I don't if that's true? Hangovers at Sunday mass suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: nattybry
Coach Terry should use our National Championship in the context of the team trying to win the next one rather than just reliving the last one. We've done it once, we can do it again. Chris Long can brag about having a famous father, but Howie Long can also brag about having a famous son. It goes both ways.

To me as a coach I wouldn't talk about the past and would sell the city.

Go ahead and show "Amigo Man" to a 17 or 18 year old from L.A. who has 5 mid major offers and just got a double-double in state playoffs. Get back to me with results. :p

Those selling points might work if you're trying to recruit some business professional to El Paso, but I'm not sure it works for an 18yr old kid looking to get the "college experience".

I think Dimel and staff did a great job recruiting. Taking the players to South West University Park and dining overlooking the field and city was cool. He also brought up the point that El Paso does have a major airport that makes it accessible to families that want to visit.

I feel like a lot of times we aren’t impressed with the good points of this city because many of us have lived here for most of our lives. I get that we’re not LA, Dallas, etc. But there are a lot of good points that we sometimes fail to appreciate. For what it’s worth there isn’t a lot of violent crimes or a rampant opioid epidemic. And for what it’s worth we’re not wraught with racial tension. I’m sure these are great selling points for a lot of families along with the weather.

Say what you want about El Paso but at least it’s not littered with feces and needles.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Diseased-Streets-472430013.html

Sucks that the NCAA limits coaches to only 4 selling points for your city and/or university.

Yup, let’s encourage our basketball players to go skiing during basketball season. Makes sense. Great recruiting talking point.

For what it’s worth there isn’t a lot of violent crimes or a rampant opioid epidemic. And for what it’s worth we’re not wraught with racial tension. I’m sure these are great selling points for a lot of families along with the weather.

Say what you want about El Paso but at least it’s not littered with feces and needles.

Another nice thing about El Paso and something that probably helps to contribute to our low crime rate, is that we have a very low unemployment rate.

As of the most recent reporting(November), El Paso County has a 3.0% unemployment rate. By comparison, Albuquerque is approaching almost double our unemployment rate(as they currently have a 5.1% unemployment rate or 70% higher amount of unemployment). Tuscon's unemployment rate is exactly 40% higher than El Paso's as they are at 4.2%. We might not have the highest paying jobs, but people here are working and going to their jobs every day.

A mentioned, El Paso has also fortunately avoided some of the larger meth problems that has impacted cities like Albuquerque and other parts of the country as well.

Reactions: UTEP Grade

I am not sure how you inferred that I am using El Paso as an excuse because I stated the exact opposite.

Yup, let’s encourage our basketball players to go skiing during basketball season. Makes sense. Great recruiting talking point.

This was in reference to basketball, but this goes to all sports. I know some people like skiing or maybe they have family that wants to come down and visit them. Either way, you have to sell the El Paso region.

Reactions: Minerforlife
Its a hard sale to Dallas SA and Houston kids honestly, but we should
I am not sure how you inferred that I am using El Paso as an excuse because I stated the exact opposite.
Wasn't directed to u. Was pointed out in general.

Any recruiter worth his salt is going to use every selling point he can. Talk up the historical significance. Talk up the city. Talk up the vision he has to rebuild the program. Talk up the wide open opportunity for possible immediate playing time. Yada yada yada.

Those selling points might work if you're trying to recruit some business professional to El Paso, but I'm not sure it works for an 18yr old kid looking to get the "college experience".

18 year olds don't like great weather, baseball, and skiing? I think they do.

Any recruiter worth his salt is going to use every selling point he can. Talk up the historical significance. Talk up the city. Talk up the vision he has to rebuild the program. Talk up the wide open opportunity for possible immediate playing time. Yada yada yada.

You think San Francisco brags to recruits that they won back to back National Championships in 1955 and 1956. I don't think so.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

How many times did you see Miner bb players at the Chihuahua games? I would venture to bet that not one Miner, save maybe Flags, went skiing? The good weather thing...you’re probably right about.

As an outsider, I marvel at the fact that some of the biggest detractors of the City of El Paso seem to be UTEP fans. Not all, but some. You've got a great product to sell, not everybody may buy it, but the city, weather, topography, culture, international airport, etc. are huge competitive advantages in recruiting, IMO. Try selling Pullman, Manhatten, and Stillwater. Or my favorite - Lubbock! Or maybe Ruston, Hattiesburg, or wherever the hell Western Kentucky is located, probably somewhere in Kentucky. And the fact that UTEP is still the only school in Texas to win a national championship is, well, a fact. Embrace and celebrate, but unlike some UTEP supporters, don't dwell on it.

With the black lives matter movement I think younger kids would appreciate the historical significance of the national championship. It’s not so much that we won one it’s what it represented for the black community and America.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
[Removed]

UTEP Grade, I’m not quite sure where you’re going with your questioning. It sure seems like you think I am the one who thinks that talking up our national championship from 1966 is our ace in the hole to getting recruits here. Maybe your reading comprehension skills lack in some capacity. While I do think it can be a strong selling point amongst some recruits, it is by no means a comprehensive recruiting plan. Go back and read and hopefully you can gain an understanding that I was basically quoting CRT, and his plan to use that in the recruiting process. Just passing along info from his presser. Easy enough to understand?

Reactions: LaserCoog

I don't think kids care about minor league baseball. Selling the city is important. However, selling the campus is more important. What UTEP lacks is spirit and a campus community. Someone mentioned Pullman and Lubbock. Neither are prime places. However, when you step on either one of those campuses they ooze with pride. You see school colors and gear being worn all around. People are excited to be there and that kind of pride and energy gets kids excited. UTEP is severely lacking in campus enviornment.

I don't think kids care about minor league baseball. Selling the city is important. However, selling the campus is more important. What UTEP lacks is spirit and a campus community. Someone mentioned Pullman and Lubbock. Neither are prime places. However, when you step on either one of those campuses they ooze with pride. You see school colors and gear being worn all around. People are excited to be there and that kind of pride and energy gets kids excited. UTEP is severely lacking in campus enviornment.

JTown kids couldn’t care less about Jutep athletics. They want to cheat their way to a degree and go manage a maquila and talk about trips to France.

Aside from that, most local kids have pride, as do out of town folk. Problem is we have sucked for some time now and that has damaged the brand. Not much to be proud of during the Kugs/Floyd era.

How many times did you see Miner bb players at the Chihuahua games? I would venture to bet that not one Miner, save maybe Flags, went skiing? The good weather thing...you’re probably right about.

I have seen a number of UTEP athletes at Chihuahuas games.

Am I missing something, but why would Jake be the only player who would want to go to Ruidoso?

I'm not PROBABLY right about El Paso having great weather, El Paso has great weather.

Some college kids like minor league baseball and some don't. This is why you sell the El Paso region as a whole because there is something for everybody.

As an outsider, I marvel at the fact that some of the biggest detractors of the City of El Paso seem to be UTEP fans. Not all, but some. You've got a great product to sell, not everybody may buy it, but the city, weather, topography, culture, international airport, etc. are huge competitive advantages in recruiting, IMO. Try selling Pullman, Manhatten, and Stillwater. Or my favorite - Lubbock! Or maybe Ruston, Hattiesburg, or wherever the hell Western Kentucky is located, probably somewhere in Kentucky. And the fact that UTEP is still the only school in Texas to win a national championship is, well, a fact. Embrace and celebrate, but unlike some UTEP supporters, don't dwell on it.

You mention Lubbock, Manhattan etc, those are real college towns. Texas Tech and Washington St are not commuter schools. They have tons of student housing and pretty much that's the major entertainment of the city. I bet the parties on the campuses you mention, blow any that are on the UTEP campus out of the water.

I would venture to say that is attractive to a lot of potential student athletes. You know what's not attractive? Hearing spanish all over campus. Not everyone speaks it and not everyone "appreciates" international students. If you're Hispanic, you probably have no issue with it, but if you're a white boy from Dallas, there's a chance that's not your "thang".

El Paso and UTEP are a special place and its definitely not for everyone.

Ok unihom, wherever you are. Now you can say it...UTEP Grade =777, chi, yada yada yada, no doubt. So so easy to see. Me...I'm ALL about the MINERs. At any rate, I suggest everyone don't waste any time and put him on ignore immediately as I just did.

Last edited:
With the black lives matter movement I think younger kids would appreciate the historical significance of the national championship. It’s not so much that we won one it’s what it represented for the black community and America.

:rolleyes:

Please don't compare the black live matter movement to UTEP winning the Championship.

:rolleyes:

Please don't compare the black live matter movement to UTEP winning the Championship.
My only response to you bob before you go back on ignore. You’re absolutely nobody to tell me what to do. Desperate troll.

Man, I hope a potential recruit doesn't find this board. The way some of you "Miner fans" are talking about El Paso, it would make me think twice about coming here. I do not live in El Paso anymore and I miss it everyday. I love where I live (Henderson, NV Las Vegas metro area), but there is a unique hometown magic about El Paso that is unexplainable. It really is a big city with a small town mentality and that's not a bad thing! Contrary to popular belief, UTEP and EP have great reputations outside of the 915. I am a UNLV season ticket holder and all I ever hear from Rebel fans is how much they'd like UTEP back in the MWC. They talk about UTEP's history and pass on their condolences for The Bear. Also, it is not just UTEP fans that talk about the '66 championship. When I mention I am a UTEP grad, I always get some kind of kudos on what the school did for the game of basketball. My students of color who play ball all know the story of Texas Western. It is a story that transcends EP. Maybe if you UTEP/EP bashers would get up off your lazy butts and do some traveling for a change, you would see what a special university and city we have by talking to some outsiders. I know that scares some of you, but instead of hating, maybe try that. I'm out. I'm on my way to take a UTEP flag to a TX BBQ place here in Henderson who wants to proudly display the orange and blue at their business.

Wore a UTEP t-shirt to physical therapy last week and ended up speaking with several of the therapists about the Miners, “Glory Road,” and the current state of our basketball program. I live in Shreveport which is a little more than an hour from LA Tech but most locals around here are LSU fans yet the folks at the clinic knew about the Miners. If I could find a job back in ELP that paid what I make here I’d move back just so I could watch the Miner games in person, even when they are struggling.

I have to agree with MinerinVegas.
I have travelled all over and at times I would wear a UTEP jersey or t-shirt.
Sometimes I would get a thumps up or someone would ask questions about
UTEP and its history. Once you get out there you will be surprised how many
people know about UTEP and El Paso.

Go Miners...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT