ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
UNT (Benford) and LSU (Jones) fired their MBB coaches -- who's next?

Success at every level he was at. That is definitely what I would like to see.

Benford seemed to me like a walking cluster....Knowing how to play at the highest level (he was a former NBA player) and coaching at mid major level was just not Benford's thing. Take Tim Floyd for example; he probably couldn't do a cross over dribble consistently against a passed out drunk patron at L&J's if there was $500 on the line. But Floyd could draw up a X and O a game like a Russian chess player.

Success at every level he was at. That is definitely what I would like to see.

Benford seemed to me like a walking cluster....Knowing how to play at the highest level (he was a former NBA player) and coaching at mid major level was just not Benford's thing. Take Tim Floyd for example; he probably couldn't do a cross over dribble consistently against a passed out drunk patron at L&J's if there was $500 on the line. But Floyd could draw up a X and O a game like a Russian chess player.
That's freaking funny.

BREAKING NEWS: TIM FLOYD OUT AS UTEP HEAD COACH. MINERS GO BOLD, HIRE ROY WILLIAMS, NORTH CAROLINA

Headlines we'll never see.

How about just: "UTEP FIRES FLOYD" as a headline you will never see.
The others you may choose from:
UTEP makes the NCAA tournament.
UTEP wins CUSA
UTEP beats 15th ranked.........

So sad because this was normal years ago. Now it is normal to be ok with having none of these headlines. Maybe the big headline should be this one:
NEXT YEAR UTEP WILL............

How about just: "UTEP FIRES FLOYD" as a headline you will never see.
The others you may choose from:
UTEP makes the NCAA tournament.
UTEP wins CUSA
UTEP beats 15th ranked.........

So sad because this was normal years ago. Now it is normal to be ok with having none of these headlines. Maybe the big headline should be this one:
NEXT YEAR UTEP WILL............

Either one works.

Wow I am impressed with your demental ability.

GO Miners...

I would think someone with a handle "Haskins Fan" would expect more from their basketball program. Floyd is .593 at UTEP. While some may cheer that as "winning" for such a storied program, I'd prefer he was .600 and better. Overall, given his coaching history, .593 is second from the bottom.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Sorry if my inability to accept mediocrity doesn't exist.
Point is you are talking to hear your head rattle. You aren't changing anything by posting your irrational drivel. I suggest you support what's there and maybe you'll be a happier more useful person.

Point is you are talking to hear your head rattle. You aren't changing anything by posting your irrational drivel. I suggest you support what's there and maybe you'll be a happier more useful person.

Anything to the contrary of what Tribal is saying is the same thing. Different side of the same coin. This is a message board. Part of what makes it a useful vehicle is that we have an opportunity to express our own opinion. Tribal is not constantly on here bashing CTF. As far as I've been able to tell, he's a rational fella, as are you, and as are 95% of the posters on here. Just sayin.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
So Floyd's 2 blowout losses in the NIT don't count as him taking this team to the pinnacle lmao. I recall his Press Conference about having a Utep a regular top 10 team and we all drank the coolaid. We have quickly found out that coolaid had no sugar and we all have a bitter taste in our mouth.

I would think someone with a handle "Haskins Fan" would expect more from their basketball program. Floyd is .593 at UTEP. While some may cheer that as "winning" for such a storied program, I'd prefer he was .600 and better. Overall, given his coaching history, .593 is second from the bottom.

Your ability to communicate is that of a disgruntled and miserable person.
Attacking others the way you are doing shows matureness.
Have a great day. I will pray for you.

Go miners...

No the point is you're willing to accept Floyd and his inability to sustain improvement in the program. I posted his overall win percentage because that's a reflection of his time at UTEP. However, he didn't even reach .500 this season. You're willing to applaud him and accept pedestrian but want to shake your fist at someone who expects more. Sorry what athletic universe do you live in? Oh that's right, the happy with average crowd. Sorry to disappoint you. I will always expect more from UTEP's athletic program. Too bad you and your pals above don't.

Your ability to communicate is that of a disgruntled and miserable person.
Attacking others the way you are doing shows matureness.
Have a great day. I will pray for you.

Go miners...

When did you start being so sensitive Haskins Fan? Just because I don't comment all the time, doesn't mean I haven't seen your other posts. Where and how did I attack you - you of all people? What makes your post bizarre is you're accusing me of being "disgruntled and miserable" and citing that I have a lack of maturity. I'd ask how you became the online clinician, but that's irrelevant to the discussion. You obviously missed where I was called an ahole for simply posting a headline that I'd love to see, but won't. So that makes me an ahole? lmaooo. You - you yourself said "demental" - I said nothing about your word usage (cause that's not even a word), but you're telling me about how I communicate. Pot meet Kettle.

Last I checked and until 45 tries to change it - this is still a free country and this is a free room to discuss UTEP's athletic program. I am not anyone's sheep. I'm not required to simply stand behind your "Tim Floyd's My Guy" flag and cheer. I expect UTEP's basketball program to improve each year, not decline. I expect them to be competitive. But according to you (and others) I'm asking for too much. Thank goodness your name wasn't Wilbur or Orville Wright.

I get it tho. Maybe I should accept UTEP's program not showing greater improvement each season for a coach who's been in place for seven years. You think Kentucky, Kansas, (merely examples) would tolerate a coach for seven years who's gotten worse over the years? No need to answer that question because we already know.

Once again.....Tribal (or whatever you are) just keep mumbling and enjoy your miserable life if that's your solution. Lots of luck with that.

Once again.....Tribal (or whatever you are) just keep mumbling and enjoy your miserable life if that's your solution. Lots of luck with that.

The beautiful thing about this Miner is you get to keep your head in the sand, which is probably the best place for it cause the mirror you're looking into isn't that appealing, is it?

I will point out to you - so see if you can comprehend this. I justified why I'm not a Floyd fan, but you haven't once offered any reason other than the annoyance of you banging on your keyboard as to why you are. So those little mindless insults you're trying to toss my way, this isn't elementary school. Grow up. Man up. Defend yourself. Or are you just the angry man in the crowd screaming until he's blue in the face at anyone who disagrees with you? You remind me of a wimpish, wanna be bully. Stop. I'm not that guy. This isn't that environment. And you're not very good at it.

Last edited:
That I may be, but if you're ok with the status quo of the basketball program or the athletic program in general, who's the real ahole?
There you go with your false arguments dude. No one said/insinuated/suggested that anyone is happy with the status quo. Get it? Good. The reason you always get called out is because this is a UTEP Miner Sports Fan Forum. Emphasis on "Fan". All "fans" don't support their teams blindly. They love and bitch and hate and praise their program with the best of them. Trolls on the other hand, constantly harangue, demean and marginalize a program that they pretend to be fans of in order to satisfy their own impotent egos. A cursory examination of anyone's posting history will immediately identify which is which.

Why is thread about coaching changes being hijacked?

Any rumors to who the RICE HC will be? Any word on either FAU or FIU making coaching changes?

You are on now on ignore along with all of your other handles.

There's only one handle bud. I'm not hiding.

Now you're acting like a spoiled brat. Throw a rock and have one thrown back at you and you run in the house.

Last edited:
There you go with your false arguments dude. No one said/insinuated/suggested that anyone is happy with the status quo. Get it? Good. The reason you always get called out is because this is a UTEP Miner Sports Fan Forum. Emphasis on "Fan". All "fans" don't support their teams blindly. They love and bitch and hate and praise their program with the best of them. Trolls on the other hand, constantly harangue, demean and marginalize a program that they pretend to be fans of in order to satisfy their own impotent egos. A cursory examination of anyone's posting history will immediately identify which is which.

False arguments? Really? Rule number one for a discussion is not accusing someone of a false argument unless you can actually cite, with facts, that it's false. Number two, I didn't imply anything about anyone being happy. I actually said a certain poster must be happy with the state of UTEP basketball because I articulated that I'm not - and wouldn't mind seeing a different coach in place.

However, for YOU to return after calling me an "ahole" for posting I'd like to see UTEP get a different coach, and then try to educate me on the psychology of what being a fan is - is completely laughable. Maybe you should reread what you wrote and apply it to yourself first. Then you'll actually have some credibility.

Mr Tribal, the facts WERE cited: I pointed out that I had NEVER posted that I was happy with the "STATUS QUO". That was what you falsely accused me of in order to make your lame argument.
And I didn't mean to call you personally an Ahole, I meant that your post and constant haranguing of our program was Aholish.
As for me attempting to educate you on being a fan, by all means, show me what a true UTEP fan you are. That would be really interesting.

Mr Tribal, the facts WERE cited: I pointed out that I had NEVER posted that I was happy with the "STATUS QUO". That was what you falsely accused me of in order to make your lame argument.
And I didn't mean to call you personally an Ahole, I meant that your post and constant haranguing of our program was Aholish.
As for me attempting to educate you on being a fan, by all means, show me what a true UTEP fan you are. That would be really interesting.

1. I rarely post comments regarding the basketball program. That doesn't mean that I don't care but there's already enough posters commenting. No need to add to the wash. 2. After their loss to Mid-Ten I was just as frustrated as I'm sure a lot of other people were. 3. It doesn't matter if it was Floyd or another coach. Few coaches are sacred cows but to be that you need wins. Floyd isn't UTEPs sacred cow. Given his tenure and production, it's a legitimate discussion, here or center court in the Haskins Center. Seven years of coaching a program there should be an uptick in consistency. He hasn't shown it and rather than make continued excuses for him, I'd rather the program look elsewhere. Big would be nice, but we know the fiscal limits of the program (hence the headline I'll never see) 4. I am as supportive of UTEP's programs (football and track mostly) equally, if not more, than the next person. I've sat in the Sun Bowl and shook my head with the small crowds. I'd like to see the school be more competitive than they are. But there has to be a mesh point between a vision for the program(s) with the supportive action(s) behind it. I don't think that's too much to ask for. 5. I've never made a comment about the Miner's basketball players. If I was dragging them across shredded glass, then I'd understand someone taking offense. But a coach??? They know going in they're fair game. Floyd in this case has to do a better job.

Good and Smart hire by Rice....

That should Keep their core intact for next season, they could be scary good next year if no one ends up transferring.
Marcus Evans is the first player to transfer out from RICE. They are going to take a few steps back this upcoming season. It sucks for them they just had one of their best seasons in history. They can't seem to keep any momentum going.

Now the hiring of Pera doesn't seem so good anymore. If he was able to keep the core players then they could have had a decent team team. With two of the top three scorers transferring and a brand new coach without any HC experience I can't see anything better than a few games over .500 for RICE.

Now the hiring of Pera doesn't seem so good anymore. If he was able to keep the core players then they could have had a decent team team. With two of the top three scorers transferring and a brand new coach without any HC experience I can't see anything better than a few games over .500 for RICE.
Totally agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT