ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Change Rumors

PicksForPaydirt

High school stud
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2019
Has anyone heard rumors regarding our coaching staff? I worry that our defensive coordinator will be an HC candidate or get an offer of more cash at a bigger school. I think it's fair to state that he did a great job with the scheme and propelling our defense to a top 10 conversation. The last time UTEP had a good defense was when we had Larry Hoefer leading the defense under coach Price. I think he lasted all of two years and moved on to Texas Tech as a position coach.

Through the years, UTEP has had some high scoring offensive teams but we never had the defense to match, well now we have the defense in place and we need to work on some key playmakers to improve the offense. Gavin Hardison has my support but some of his decisions have caused many to lose confidence. I recently watched a YouTube video on Jordan Palmer and how he is training some of the top quarterbacks in the nation, for the draft. At the end of the video, Palmer stated that he was open to the next step, which may be coaching and I wonder if UTEP has thought of or already offered, Jordan, an opportunity to return to UTEP as a quarterbacks coach. He would be someone who could tremendously help Hardison with his reads and his QB IQ.

There you have it; my two off season hopes. Keep BDP (defensive coordinator) and bring in JP to coach quarterbacks.

Has anyone heard rumors regarding our coaching staff? I worry that our defensive coordinator will be an HC candidate or get an offer of more cash at a bigger school. I think it's fair to state that he did a great job with the scheme and propelling our defense to a top 10 conversation. The last time UTEP had a good defense was when we had Larry Hoefer leading the defense under coach Price. I think he lasted all of two years and moved on to Texas Tech as a position coach.

Through the years, UTEP has had some high scoring offensive teams but we never had the defense to match, well now we have the defense in place and we need to work on some key playmakers to improve the offense. Gavin Hardison has my support but some of his decisions have caused many to lose confidence. I recently watched a YouTube video on Jordan Palmer and how he is training some of the top quarterbacks in the nation, for the draft. At the end of the video, Palmer stated that he was open to the next step, which may be coaching and I wonder if UTEP has thought of or already offered, Jordan, an opportunity to return to UTEP as a quarterbacks coach. He would be someone who could tremendously help Hardison with his reads and his QB IQ.

There you have it; my two off season hopes. Keep BDP (defensive coordinator) and bring in JP to coach quarterbacks.
It would be awesome to bring in! Jordan Palmer, but he would probably have to take a pretty substantial pay cut. Might as well ask him to see if he'd be willing to do it though.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Credit has to be given to the position coaches as well. Defensive Coordinator is a key position and it would hurt to lose him, however some of our improvement has to be given to the position coaches. Our line play, tackling and secondary have all improved vastly and much of that has to be given to assistants. Another area which may be overlooked is strength and conditioning, we have improved in that area as well, still not there completely but we don't get over powered as much as in the past. Losing any of these keys would hurt.

Reactions: PicksForPaydirt

I loved Hoeffer's only year here as DC and agree with the basic overview of your post, but you are way off on the Hoefer timeline. Hoefer was our DC under Nord during the 2000 championship year and was gone long before Price arrived. Hoefer also went to Kentucky from here, as opposed to Texas Tech. I spent some time talking with him when his Son played at Coronado. Really liked the guy and wish he could have stayed longer.

Hopefully BDP will stay a little longer.

Defense was good but when they played good teams it wasnt good. Utep didnt beat anyone good.

I loved Hoeffer's only year here as DC and agree with the basic overview of your post, but you are way off on the Hoefer timeline. Hoefer was our DC under Nord during the 2000 championship year and was gone long before Price arrived. Hoefer also went to Kentucky from here, as opposed to Texas Tech. I spent some time talking with him when his Son played at Coronado. Really liked the guy and wish he could have stayed longer.

Hopefully BDP will stay a little longer.
You are absolutely, correct. I had my timeframes a bit mixed up. Hoeffer was the defensive coordinator for Nord. My bad but good catch.

Credit has to be given to the position coaches as well. Defensive Coordinator is a key position and it would hurt to lose him, however some of our improvement has to be given to the position coaches. Our line play, tackling and secondary have all improved vastly and much of that has to be given to assistants. Another area which may be overlooked is strength and conditioning, we have improved in that area as well, still not there completely but we don't get over powered as much as in the past. Losing any of these keys would hurt.
No doubt that the assistants were a big part of the turnaround but the scheme that BDP brought to UTEP, translated to success. I'm hopeful that we will have an even stronger defense with the new additions and another year of running the same scheme.

Not a rumor but UTEP asst coach Theron Aych is leaving to be the OC at Tennessee State. Best of luck to him.

Not a rumor but UTEP asst coach Theron Aych is leaving to be the OC at Tennessee State. Best of luck to him.
Oh yeah, this was the Angelo State coach who put up incredible numbers. I thought after the Arizona gig he'd get a HC gig at a mid major somewhere. Dude is a traveling Willbury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT