ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball 2020- '21

It should. Since you claimed we were gonna have 3 d2 teams and we’ve yet to announce one. You made several jabs anytime WKU or some other CUSA team announced a road P5. It would be nice to hear you give your university a little bit of love once in a while.

he loves on NMSU often

It should. Since you claimed we were gonna have 3 d2 teams and we’ve yet to announce one. You made several jabs anytime WKU or some other CUSA team announced a road P5. It would be nice to hear you give your university a little bit of love once in a while.

True that we haven't announced any D3 matchups, but those aren't the type of games that are announced or leaked anyway. I hope we have none outside of exhibition play.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Without knowing the final straw to break the camel’s back, it’s been my belief for years that the P5 will ultimately break away from the G5. As much as I hate the idea, it seems like the fallout from Covid creates as likely a scenario of that happening as anything else, if not more so. It’s gonna suck!!!

Reactions: Lil_Train
Without knowing the final straw to break the camel’s back, it’s been my belief for years that the P5 will ultimately break away from the G5. As much as I hate the idea, it seems like the fallout from Covid creates as likely a scenario of that happening as anything else, if not more so. It’s gonna suck!!!

It will be “interesting” for sure, if it happens. Believe it or not, teams like Texas and Tech WANT to schedule UTEP. They don’t want to play P5 teams every week. Coaches need the easy wins. While I’m referring to football, same goes for basketball.

If they truly do breakaway, they could pay them whatever and schools like UTEP will be left in the dust. Now you can say a school like UTEP has a “shot” at the national title in football, if this happens, they never will.

I hope they don’t breakaway, outside of a handful of team selections every year, it’s perfect.

It will be “interesting” for sure, if it happens. Believe it or not, teams like Texas and Tech WANT to schedule UTEP. They don’t want to play P5 teams every week. Coaches need the easy wins. While I’m referring to football, same goes for basketball.

If they truly do breakaway, they could pay them whatever and schools like UTEP will be left in the dust. Now you can say a school like UTEP has a “shot” at the national title in football, if this happens, they never will.

I hope they don’t breakaway, outside of a handful of team selections every year, it’s perfect.

Agree, however teams like UT and TT would still play the UTEP’s of the world, in both football and basketball. The G5 just wouldn’t have a place at the table in regards to a playoff spot. I think like Fran Fraschilla alluded to, March Madness as we know it, would morph into something more exclusive as well.

I hope it doesn’t happen, but I’ve long thought the G5 will become to the P5 what the FCS is to FBS.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Agree, however teams like UT and TT would still play the UTEP’s of the world, in both football and basketball. The G5 just wouldn’t have a place at the table in regards to a playoff spot. I think like Fran Fraschilla alluded to, March Madness as we know it, would morph into something more exclusive as well.

I hope it doesn’t happen, but I’ve long thought the G5 will become to the P5 what the FCS is to FBS.

It depends and we’re opening up a huge rabbit hole here. Say they do breakaway and then they don’t ever play games at a “left out” school, like FBS schools don’t generally play at FCS schools. The G5 tv contracts are less valuable. Not only will they be seen as “junior league”, those networks will not be able to televise those P5 at G5 games anymore. So the money will of course go down. You’ll have to hope UT brings in UTEP for $1.5million, even though, they would probably bring them in for less, since that’s how it works with FCS teams.

How many G 5 schools athletics would survive with out the money games and the March madness money?

It depends and we’re opening up a huge rabbit hole here. Say they do breakaway and then they don’t ever play games at a “left out” school, like FBS schools don’t generally play at FCS schools. The G5 tv contracts are less valuable. Not only will they be seen as “junior league”, those networks will not be able to televise those P5 at G5 games anymore. So the money will of course go down. You’ll have to hope UT brings in UTEP for $1.5million, even though, they would probably bring them in for less, since that’s how it works with FCS teams.

Yeah, that’s likely, imo. But like you said, the UTs and TTs will still want to play G5 competition at home for a couple/few “easy” wins. Well, P5 schools will have to pay out enough for that possibility to even exist. Somehow the P5 will help prop up the G5 but the field will be even less level than it is now. Being part of the UT system will keep utep stay afloat, imo. Inevitably, some programs will have to fold though.

It’s a terrible thought, but this is a conversation that has been going on for a while and has gained traction, especially over the last 5 years.

Hell, it was only 3 years ago when UH, UCF, USF, UConn, Memphis, BYU, Boise St and a few others put damn near everything on the line when the Big 12 talked about expanding. We’re talking university presidents just about selling their souls for their programs to be accepted into the club.

As much as it sucks, the possibility is very real and really only a matter of time.

How many G 5 schools athletics would survive with out the money games and the March madness money?

Probably only those who are a part of, or supported by the state’s flagship universities. Also, private universities that have a lot of financial backing from sources other than federal and state.

And it would probably only be football, basketball and volleyball that survive in many of the universities.

You have to think, if the FCS has made it work all these years, the majority of G5 teams would find a way for it to work as well.

I would add baseball and softball as well to a number of schools.

If only it were that easy. Even though Alabama could fund its football team with private money, I think the government would step in and withhold money from the school, because there’s not enough money-draining women’s sports.

If only it were that easy. Even though Alabama could fund its football team with private money, I think the government would step in and withhold money from the school, because there’s not enough money-draining women’s sports.

But some schools can support it. Texas Tech sells out their baseball season tickets. Other schools have good attendance for baseball and softball. Plus they get money from the College World Series.

Not a fan of the tweet where Emmert suggests a 32 team tournament. If you can put 32 in a bubble at one site, you can put 32 in another. Play down to the Final Four in the bubble. Neither side would have to enter a new setting for almost three weeks.

Bubble is all or nothing. Once you travel the bubble is broken. Its not possible for college basketball.

Bubble is all or nothing. Once you travel the bubble is broken. Its not possible for college basketball.

I could see CUSA putting up all 14 teams in a bubble in January and knocking out conference play in a month or so. Probably be cheaper to do so than if the conference schedule went on as normal.

College Basketball can never be in a bubble because these are full time students who enroll in these colleges for academics. Missing classes would be a huge issue because the NCAA is a student first organization.

College Basketball can never be in a bubble because these are full time students who enroll in these colleges for academics. Missing classes would be a huge issue because the NCAA is a student first organization.

Most of them aren't on campus anyway. They could do virtual classes from the bubble.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I could see CUSA putting up all 14 teams in a bubble in January and knocking out conference play in a month or so. Probably be cheaper to do so than if the conference schedule went on as normal.
That would be interesting! A lot of games to cover though. I could see maybe 6 weeks?

The NBA bubble is working, but the question would be how many self contained facilities are out there, that would be available to conferences like the NBA has with Disney? Disney has all the hotel rooms, kitchen & eating facilities, and two basketball arenas all behind one gate. But then even behind this gate there have been some minor issues with players not fully complying. I would imagine that keeping a college bubble clean would be even tougher, especially if you were not inside one fully contained/gated area like Disney. Not to mention the fact the cost of the NBA bubble is currently estimated at $150 million, which a conference like CUSA is not going to be able to accomplish.

I do like the idea of the bubble though and think it is probably the best option for this year. I just think that it would be much more challenging to pull off for the colleges and that it might not work out as great, when everyone is expected it to work similarly to how the NBA is working.

In regards to the students taking classes on-line for a month or so, I doubt this would be an issue, as there will almost certainly be some colleges out there that will still only be doing on-line learning anyway during the spring. There will be enough non-basketball playing colleges doing it, that it would not diminish some basketball players doing it for a short period of time as well. Especially when the reason for doing it is because hey are legitimately trying to provide a better option for student athlete safety.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT