ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball News 2021- '22

If we don't win the conference tournament let's win the CBI.
Agree. One of the few times that I’d be cool with playing in the CBI.

Play as much together this year as possible, add some important pieces in the off season, put yourselves in position to make the tourney next year.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Agree. One of the few times that I’d be cool with playing in the CBI.

Play as much together this year as possible, add some important pieces in the off season, put yourselves in position to make the tourney next year.
They have a neat setup this year. All games in one city. Feels like a true tournament. Playing in it would help the team get the experience for our eventual return to the NCAAT.

From the CUSA board...

NET rankings thru 1.27

https://stats.ncaa.org/selection_ranking...ties/22483

Current CUSA
UAB 37
North Texas 55
Louisiana Tech 83
Middle Tenn. 124
Fla. Atlantic 139
Western Ky. 143
Charlotte 160
UTEP 169
Rice 178
Old Dominion 225
FIU 243
Marshall 250
Southern Miss. 323
UTSA 331
Average 176

Future CUSA
Louisiana Tech 83
New Mexico St. 88
Liberty 94
Jacksonville St. 122
Middle Tenn. 124
Western Ky. 143
Sam Houston 162
UTEP 169
FIU 243
Average 136

Average comps based on future conference affiliations:
Big East 69
MWC 107
A-10 130
MVC 135
CUSA 136
AAC 137
SBC 200
MAC 205

If UTEP is going to be the second to worst team in the new CUSA then we're going to have a strong league.

Just watched 16-2 Colorado State vs 16-3 Wyoming. What a game. Both look to be tourney teams, however Wyoming pulled it out late. Definitely two of the better mid majors in the country. I believe they are 35 and 36 in the NET ranking.

Wyoming’s arena reminded me of the Don back in the day. Completely full. Loud. Rowdy. Definitely provided a boost for the Cowboys. Wenzel, who gave us a verbal a few years ago, went to Utah instead, plays for Wyoming now.

If it can be done in Wyoming…

Just watched 16-2 Colorado State vs 16-3 Wyoming. What a game. Both look to be tourney teams, however Wyoming pulled it out late. Definitely two of the better mid majors in the country. I believe they are 35 and 36 in the NET ranking.

Wyoming’s arena reminded me of the Don back in the day. Completely full. Loud. Rowdy. Definitely provided a boost for the Cowboys. Wenzel, who gave us a verbal a few years ago, went to Utah instead, plays for Wyoming now.

If it can be done in Wyoming…
I didn't realize Wenzel ended up at Wyoming after his stay at Utah. I saw he is getting good minutes for the Cowboys. He was a big time shooter in HS out of San Antonio. Good kid.

Look at that place!! They are loud af. That’s in ****ing Wyoming….and 3+ decades removed from their hey day with Dembo.
Mountain West is an extremely competitive conference this year as is the WCC. Both have 4 teams projected in this year. The road games in the Mountain West remind me of the old WAC. Boise, Colorado State, Wyoming and SDSU remind me of the BYU, UTAH, Colorado State, and Wyoming trips UTEP used to take. New Mexico also packs it in, just not sure this year.

That atmosphere at GCU is amazing. I rather have that than a small profit. I imagine a packed house brings in the loot too. Online there's only $5 standing room only tickets available for tomorrow's game. For their next home game there's only $5 GA tickets available. It seems pricing season tickets at under $200 is working for them. Since there's currently a waiting list to grab them.

Reactions: MinerManiac
That atmosphere at GCU is amazing. I rather have that than a small profit. I imagine a packed house brings in the loot too. Online there's only $5 standing room only tickets available for tomorrow's game. For their next home game there's only $5 GA tickets available. It seems pricing season tickets at under $200 is working for them. Since there's currently a waiting list to grab them.
Some on the wac board claim that GCU pays students to attend.

🤣 if it's true, it's working. Maybe we don't need a marketing department then. Transfer all those salaries to pay students to attend games.
Remember when college beer sales were going to bring more in and many college trustee boards all over the country scrambled to allow beer sales?

19ff2d447a6e2ad58e8e7fb116bc759b.jpeg

Why do the Students at Utep stink?? Why dont they like sports??

UTEP is a commuter school. Many students have families and have to work, besides going to school. It doesn't leave a lot of free time for a lot of students.

UTEP is a commuter school. Many students have families and have to work, besides going to school. It doesn't leave a lot of free time for a lot of students.
UTEP was a commuter school back when I went there in the 80s. We still had a large, enthusiastic contingent of students at each and every home game. You can try to come up with other reasons as to why the Miners don't have good student fan support, but being a commuter school isn't one of them

UTEP was a commuter school back when I went there in the 80s. We still had a large, enthusiastic contingent of students at each and every home game. You can try to come up with other reasons as to why the Miners don't have good student fan support, but being a commuter school isn't one of them

Obviously, fans and students would show up in droves if UTEP had great teams, like in the 80's.

All I'm saying is most students who go to UTEP have to work, besides going to school. It's much easier when you live on campus and walk to see a game vs. driving back to campus to attend the game and finding time to go to the game.

I've never bought the "commuter school" excuse. I understand that UTEP has lots and lots of students who have families to support and other commitments with their time but El Paso is and has been a city of eight hundred thousand for decades.

The "commuter school" excuse no longer works. People just have to want to attend Miners games. They are not attending because they don't want to be there. For whatever reason. Tickets are too expensive, concessions (beer) cost too much, parking costs too much or is inconvenient, the product on the field/court sucks, etc.

Stop with the "commuter school" excuse. That dog quit hunting long ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT