ADVERTISEMENT

College Football 2021- Post Covid Edition

Where are all these schools getting the money? Are they making the same investment into the classrooms? Doubt it!
Bigger question, where are they getting materials? Our grocers are having to buy shelving from China because the factories here can’t produce any.

Where are all these schools getting the money? Are they making the same investment into the classrooms? Doubt it!
Bigger question, where are they getting materials? Our grocers are having to buy shelving from China because the factories here can’t produce any.
Don’t shoot the messenger but after the financial crisis of ‘08-09 colleges have had to get very creative in raising money for scholarships and on the athletic side. Basically hitting up alums with big money. A good example close to us is NMSU. They have had constant financial challenges and while we know the story of Mario Moccia and his creativity with their athletic side, the school has had to hit the regional NM farmers big time to help with financial aid/scholarships.

Second, just because a school can secure the money for that new athletic facility that doesn’t mean it will be built in a timely manner pre-Covid. There is a big shortage of labor all over, no matter if big daddy big bucks owns a major construction company. Labor is a major factor in economics.

Decades ago large domestic production of steel went overseas. Bethlehem Steel built our country but but corporate wanted cheaper steel and it went to China and Mexico. Anyways, it has gotten slightly better but as stated above, colleges will have to get in line on the materials and labor.

Time parameters are critical, so if colleges can secure contractors will get labor and materials in a timely manner, those “we’re ready to break ground” prices will go up when all is said and done. I almost guarantee it.

I’m conclusion, scholarship money is not labor and material dependent and colleges all over have done a good job securing it. Building that athletic “indoor facility” or “Enhancement Facility” is time and material dependent. If you live in moderate weather regions, do you really need an indoor practice facility?

Last edited:
This trend negates team play unless the coach can be the image on the cereal box. These days teams will be looking for do-it-all studs to build up star power and bring in more money.
Weird times indeed.

Yeah right. Football won 7 games and basketball 20. Senter probably got a 10 year extension because of that.
I can't speak for axing, but I don't think he was necessarily insinuating that either Wilson or Senter should be canned but rather that IF they don't get busy establishing the NIL collective(s), then perhaps they should be fired like the Wichita State AD was. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

I can't speak for axing, but I don't think he was necessarily insinuating that either Wilson or Senter should be canned but rather that IF they don't get busy establishing the NIL collective(s), then perhaps they should be fired like the Wichita State AD was. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?
Yeah I get that and I'm saying his bowl season and 20 wins in basketball pretty much locks in Senter regardless of what happens with any NIL deals.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yeah I get that and I'm saying his bowl season and 20 wins in basketball pretty much locks in Senter regardless of what happens with any NIL deals.
Got it. Not so sure about that though. Damn near everybody is figuring out how to create a collective. Schools considered “below” us even. I think it’s too big of a thing at this point in revenue sports. If Senter doesn’t figure that part out, even Wilson will recognize the NEED to let him go. I may be dead wrong.

I understand your reservations though.

Got it. Not so sure about that though. Damn near everybody is figuring out how to create a collective. Schools considered “below” us even. I think it’s too big of a thing at this point in revenue sports. If Senter doesn’t figure that part out, even Wilson will recognize the NEED to let him go. I may be dead wrong.

I would like to think Wilson would hold Senter accountable, but I just don't see it happening. I do think they should already have something in place. Plus, if Wilson isn't already actively involved in the creation of a collective, that says alot about her priorities.

Last edited:
I would like to think Wilson would hold Senter accountable, but I just don't see it happening. I do think they should already have something in place. Plus, if Wilson isn't already actively involved in the creation of a collective, that says alot about her priorities.
Yeah I thought she was buddies with Kennedy. If there was one guy we should have been/should be trying to keep its him.

Reactions: Lil_Train

Kind of seems like same game different names.

@Minerforlife seems to be in the know and he swears under Senter we're hemorrhaging corporate sponsors and big donors. In turn it seems Senter raises prices to try and make up a little bit of the difference and that leads to isolation of most regular Joe's. We're left with little fans and money. I just don't see how he'll be able to compete in this new era.

I read the article by KROD 600 on the Dimel extension and something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm probably reading something that's not there or intended. The concluding paragraph says that if Dimel fails the buyout and time of length is something UTEP could manage. Imo if we have to cross that bridge then the only contract and buyout we should be working on is Senter's.

Kind of seems like same game different names.

@Minerforlife seems to be in the know and he swears under Senter we're hemorrhaging corporate sponsors and big donors. In turn it seems Senter raises prices to try and make up a little bit of the difference and that leads to isolation of most regular Joe's. We're left with little fans and money. I just don't see how he'll be able to compete in this new era.

I read the article by KROD 600 on the Dimel extension and something about it just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm probably reading something that's not there or intended. The concluding paragraph says that if Dimel fails the buyout and time of length is something UTEP could manage. Imo if we have to cross that bridge then the only contract and buyout we should be working on is Senter's.
Anyone who claims that SMU basketball is a “top 20 job and capable of winning March madness” and “UTSA is a bigger rival than NMSU”, is definitely NOT “in the know”.

Anyone who claims that SMU basketball is a “top 20 job and capable of winning March madness” and “UTSA is a bigger rival than NMSU”, is definitely NOT “in the know”.
USA Today should be publishing their annual coaches salaries and budgets soon. I'm eager to see how the donations stack up against previous years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT