ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big 12 + realignment talk going forward

If the Big 10 expands with Pac 9? teams, that is bad news for UTEP. Utah, Arizona, ASU like to Big 12 then. Only leaves Cal, Stanford, OSU, WSU left. Cal and Stanford are allegedly backups for the Big 10.

Doesn’t look like the MWC will need UTEP or NMSU, as they will swallow the Pac leftovers or the Pac will take the best of the MWC and CUSA could potentially swallow what’s left of the MWC.

If the Big 10 expands with Pac 9? teams, that is bad news for UTEP. Utah, Arizona, ASU like to Big 12 then. Only leaves Cal, Stanford, OSU, WSU left. Cal and Stanford are allegedly backups for the Big 10.

Doesn’t look like the MWC will need UTEP or NMSU, as they will swallow the Pac leftovers or the Pac will take the best of the MWC and CUSA could potentially swallow what’s left of the MWC.
Big 10 will take Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/source...on-washington-cal-and-stanford-173934989.html

Big 12 will take Arizona, Arizona State and Utah.
Mountain West will take Washington State and Oregon State.

SDSU dodged a huge bullet by not leaving the MWC. They could have been in a really bad place.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Depending on how things work out with the PAC losing teams, the situation between the PAC and the MWC is that one of them will cannibalize the other. Both conferences will be worse off than they are now but the one that gets cannibalized may fall apart as a conference. Either collapse completely or recruit BCS teams and move down to the same level as CUSA. CUSA should hang on for dear life and see if they can pick off a plum or two.

Depending on how things work out with the PAC losing teams, the situation between the PAC and the MWC is that one of them will cannibalize the other. Both conferences will be worse off than they are now but the one that gets cannibalized may fall apart as a conference. Either collapse completely or recruit BCS teams and move down to the same level as CUSA. CUSA should hang on for dear life and see if they can pick off a plum or two.
MWC will not be worse off if they add Washington State and Oregon State (the only 2 remaining Pac 12 schools) as they are not losing anyone.
Pac 12 would have no leverage if only those 2 schools are left. It will be the end of the Pac 12 as we know it, as the tv deal would be smaller than the MWC, therefore they most likely dissolve.

Can't see the PAC dying. Part of the PACs problem is they locked themselves into two timezones (bad leadership is the main reason). Whoever is left in the PAC should add schools in every timezone they can. And apparently almost every G5 has contacted the PAC, showing interest in joining. I could see the PAC2-4 inviting the best of the AAC and the MWC and creating a national conference. Atleast I hope that happens. Maybe utep gets lucky and moves into one of those conferences.

From the MWC:
Boise
SDSU
Air Force or Colorado State
UNLV

AAC:
Tulane
Rice
UTSA
SMU
Memphis
USF

Except for Boise, these are all big markets that will bring in a lot of eye balls. Maybe the PAC could then pull linear TV to go with the Apple streaming.

Do you think the PAC will come as far east as trying for AAC schools? That sounded like one of their problems to begin with. PAC and MWC will duke it out to see which survives the shakeup. PAC has further to fall than MWC. Because MWC doesn't have as far to fall, it has a better chance to land on its feet. Depending on who raids who, the raider will survive as a conference while the raided risks falling apart or becoming a CUSA equivalent. As far as CUSA picking up a plum, that may happen if a MWC team or two gets left holding the bag and needs a place to land. But that would be a stretch no matter what.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Can't see the PAC dying. Part of the PACs problem is they locked themselves into two timezones (bad leadership is the main reason). Whoever is left in the PAC should add schools in every timezone they can. And apparently almost every G5 has contacted the PAC, showing interest in joining. I could see the PAC2-4 inviting the best of the AAC and the MWC and creating a national conference. Atleast I hope that happens. Maybe utep gets lucky and moves into one of those conferences.

From the MWC:
Boise
SDSU
Air Force or Colorado State
UNLV

AAC:
Tulane
Rice
UTSA
SMU
Memphis
USF

Except for Boise, these are all big markets that will bring in a lot of eye balls. Maybe the PAC could then pull linear TV to go with the Apple streaming.
Depends on what’s left. Why would Memphis and USF leave the AAC to go play with Oregon St and Washington St on Apple TV? That’s even if Apple is still interested once these other teams leave. Nobody is going to be interested in OSU/WSU without other P10 schools.

The AAC and MWC teams also have expensive early exit fees and that doesn’t seem like a smart decision to join the Pac 2 to me.

Depends on what’s left. Why would Memphis and USF leave the AAC to go play with Oregon St and Washington St on Apple TV? That’s even if Apple is still interested once these other teams leave. Nobody is going to be interested in OSU/WSU without other P10 schools.

The AAC and MWC teams also have expensive early exit fees and that doesn’t seem like a smart decision to join the Pac 2 to me.
I agree with you, as I have said the same thing. This is the most probable.

I just hope the PAC doesn't die and they raid the MWC or AAC. Or both, preferably.
In a “doomsday scenario”, the Pac is left with only two - OSU and WSU, doesn’t matter which way they go (MWC goes to Pac, Pac goes to MWC), that would put them at 14 teams.

I guess they could pick and choose teams to leave out SJSU, Wyoming, and others, but I think they would go with safety in numbers and just go with 14 teams.

If they were able to only take SDSU, Boise, Fresno, AFA, Colorado St, UNLV. That would leave them at 8, I don’t see why Memphis, SMU would leave the AAC to join them.

It’s hard to kill a conference, so I guess it’s possible. Would be best case scenario for UTEP. So hope the Pac 2 is able to keep Pac 12 money and name and select the best of the MWC and AAC. UTEP would be a shoe in for the MWC.

In a “doomsday scenario”, the Pac is left with only two - OSU and WSU, doesn’t matter which way they go (MWC goes to Pac, Pac goes to MWC), that would put them at 14 teams.

I guess they could pick and choose teams to leave out SJSU, Wyoming, and others, but I think they would go with safety in numbers and just go with 14 teams.

If they were able to only take SDSU, Boise, Fresno, AFA, Colorado St, UNLV. That would leave them at 8, I don’t see why Memphis, SMU would leave the AAC to join them.

It’s hard to kill a conference, so I guess it’s possible. Would be best case scenario for UTEP. So hope the Pac 2 is able to keep Pac 12 money and name and select the best of the MWC and AAC. UTEP would be a shoe in for the MWC.
What will prevent my (hopeful) scenario is exit fees. The PAC should be able to get enough teams to field a conference of 8 (which is why I think AAC teams would be targeted initially) in 2024. The MWC exit fees are 34million for one year notice and 17 million for Two
lyear notice. Pretty crazy exit fees. While the PAC has NO exit fees.

Reactions: Lil_Train
What will prevent my (hopeful) scenario is exit fees. The PAC should be able to get enough teams to field a conference of 8 (which is why I think AAC teams would be targeted initially) in 2024. The MWC exit fees are 34million for one year notice and 17 million for Two
lyear notice. Pretty crazy exit fees. While the PAC has NO exit fees.
The Pac has no exit fees because they don’t have a TV deal.

Hell with it, let’s put in our application for Pac 12. What’s the worse that could happen. ( Just being sarcastic).

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Hell with it, let’s put in our application for Pac 12. What’s the worse that could happen. ( Just being sarcastic).

Why not? Let's also call Texas Tech and ask them to join us in petitioning the PAC12 for admission.

I mean, what's the worst that can happen? They both say 'no'? No harm, no foul.

I know, I know. Texas Tech is not leaving the Big 12 for less money. I'm also just kidding.

Lol that ain't happening.
I think it’s possible, but yeah unlikely.

Here’s what I think. If the Pac 4 remain together, they will try and take the best of the MWC and AAC. Will they be successful? Not sure.

If the MWC loses a handful of teams, they’re still alive and will take UTEP/NMSU and whatever they can out of Texas St, SHSU, and LaTech. Maybe they dip into FCS.

Realistically, CUSA could maybe take UNM and Wyoming and that’s only if the MWC is destroyed.

MWC has SDSUs final 4 payments coming, they’re not going to let those go. Just as CUSA won’t let FAUs final 4 payments go. They will just reload with shitty FCS schools.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
1000% chance Air Force is playing with Pac leftovers and not this CUSA fantasy.

Choosing to be with Liberty and FIU is….odd.
I think Liberty has a chance to be a yearly contender in the playoffs. Would be nice to be part of a conference that has a team like that.

Tha Pac-12 has to move quickly which means the Mountain West needs to move quickly. Being in an ultra watered down MW is far superior to being in CUSA. I think/hope MW will take us, NMSU, La Tech. Hell, they should probably take Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee as well.

Tha Pac-12 has to move quickly which means the Mountain West needs to move quickly. Being in an ultra watered down MW is far superior to being in CUSA. I think/hope MW will take us, NMSU, La Tech. Hell, they should probably take Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee as well.
Yeap, watered down MWC > being in CUSA with Eastern time zone teams.

Pac 12 should have added Houston and some other central time zone teams when they had the chance. MWC should do the same if they have the opportunity to do so.

very unlikely scenario

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT