ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big 12 + realignment talk going forward

Geographic rivalries will return once the elite schools are done poaching the schools they want to be apart of some form of a new division 1. UTEP spending any resources to change conferences at this point is fruitless and pointless. Hopefully UTEP will be a competitive program in whatever makes up the division that is left over.

That‘s some BS too. If these athletic departments can’t operate in a financially responsible manner then there’s no reason that the debt should pass on to the university who will inevitable stick it to the students. And once these kids get student loans it’s now the property of the US taxpayer since the government wants to alleviate the burden of student loan debt. Seriously, how the heck do you run up almost HALF A BILLION dollars worth of debt?

Reactions: minerfan_14
With all the jumping around being done and speculated on, any school can be a part of any conference at any time. No regional rivalries or affiliations. With that said, UTEP is still stuck in CUSA. No body in the entire sports world can predict how this is going to settle out. Who knows where the Miners will be more than two seasons out. We'd better be concentrating on getting our own shit together during that period. Let's find out which direction we should jump before we take the leap. We might even make something positive of this. Who knows? Right now, nothing is off the table.

With all the jumping around being done and speculated on, any school can be a part of any conference at any time. No regional rivalries or affiliations. With that said, UTEP is still stuck in CUSA. No body in the entire sports world can predict how this is going to settle out. Who knows where the Miners will be more than two seasons out. We'd better be concentrating on getting our own shit together during that period. Let's find out which direction we should jump before we take the leap. We might even make something positive of this. Who knows? Right now, nothing is off the table.
With the realignment creating “super leagues” it’s hard to not see college football becoming the a “semi-pro” league. The NIL deals will only increase for those teams in the P5, of which I don’t see the PAC-12 surviving

Reactions: TxRdKiller
With the realignment creating “super leagues” it’s hard to not see college football becoming the a “semi-pro” league. The NIL deals will only increase for those teams in the P5, of which I don’t see the PAC-12 surviving
And it is setting itself up for only a couple of conferences to thrive. Schools like UTEP annd maybe even the MWC are dead food because there’s no way in hell they can compete with these schools running at incredible debt levels and consolidating their death grip on college sports.

Unfortunately geography means nothing. If anything geography stinks in all conferences outside of the SBC due to the media companies. They want teams in different timezones to fill different time slots. Which is why the PAC screwed themselves by not adding teams outside of the Pacific and Mountain time zones sooner.

And UTEP is stuck in CUSA and they turned down the opportunity to get out about a decade ago. UTEP gon UTEP.

I disagree. I think geography means everything and it’s the TV dollars fvcking everything up. The PAC-12 was right to hold on but USC and UCLA simply decided that fans are worth less than TV money. Can’t blame them alone though since theirs was somewhat of a response to UT/OU taking their TV money to the SEC.

Fans are the ones fvcked in the end. Read that sentence again because it applies both ways. They all take us for granted now. They figure that as long as we’re willing to tune in on our devices that’s good enough. They expect us to embrace the new schools as rivals without question. To which I say, “Fvck you.”

Last edited:
Reactions: PickMyAxe915
How much pity do you guys have for the players? In a way I do, but in a way I don’t. I can see where the road trips are gonna suck, but if it bothers them that much they can transfer and play immediately.

None. Guys good enough to be prepped for a career in the NFL or NBA will not worry about distances for their families to see them play. The money will be there to get their families to the games.

Those still developing will be better off closer to home. If they choose to go further it’s on them.

Just sayin’…

I disagree. I think geography means everything and it’s the TV dollars fvcking everything up. The PAC-12 was right to hold on but USC and UCLA simply decided that fans are worth less than TV money. Can’t blame them alone though since theirs was somewhat of a response to UT/OU taking their TV money to the SEC.

Fans are the ones fvcked in the end. Read that sentence again because it applies both ways. They alll take us for granted now. They figure that as long as we’re willing to tune in on our devices that’s good enough. They expect us to embrace the new schools as rivals without question. To which I say, “Fvck you.”
I agree that geography should matter. It is why I wish we were in a conference like the MWC or the WAC. It just doesn't matter to these media companies like you said.

I think geography means nothing to the P5 schools but I'm hoping that all the G5 schools settle into more regional conferences at some point in the future. Probably unlikely but it would make the most sense as far as saving money on travel and regional rivalries.

Reactions: Dmanminer
I’m still shocked to see Stanford and Cal got left behind. They are both top notch academic schools that are in a large tv market (10th largest). They are both located in top recruiting hotbeds. The biggest surprise was Stanford with the most NCAA championships and Cal who is ranked 10th. This is a total head scratcher. There’s got to be more on why they go left behind.

I’m still shocked to see Stanford and Cal got left behind. They are both top notch academic schools that are in a large tv market (10th largest). They are both located in top recruiting hotbeds. The biggest surprise was Stanford with the most NCAA championships and Cal who is ranked 10th. This is a total head scratcher. There’s got to be more on why they go left behind.
Probably a pain in the butt to share a conference with.

They are elitist snobs. Should have added teams sooner. They are also in a very liberal part of the country and they suck at basketball and football.

I am not surprised, that’s why I am really curious what happens to them.

Reactions: Rocketsr
They are elitist snobs. Should have added teams sooner. They are also in a very liberal part of the country and they suck at basketball and football.

I am not surprised, that’s why I am really curious what happens to them.

Stanford has had a few down years in football, but in an eight year span from 2011-2018 they won five bowl games and won the Rose Bowl twice.

With no TV deal it was every man for himself. I get the TV market argument for Cal and Stanford but should they get an invite over any other team? Colorado, maybe but they’re riding that Deion Sanders high and he hasn’t coached a game.
I don't blame him. I've always thought it was stupid to have West Virginia in the Big-12. But here we are.
But they made the jump anyways. UTEP has to go to the East coast all the time, on UTEP money to boot so he’s not getting any pitty from me. But he does sound like an idiot saying he won’t go to Virginia, yet he’s willing to send every athlete out there to play games. Imagine the hassle for these schools during football season? Most have those semis filled with their football equipment and now you’re going to be crisscrossing the nation during football season.

Last edited:
Reactions: nattybry
Stanford and Cal would have 0 interest. AAC can have all the interest in the world. Stanford and Cal are going to a P5 like ACC or would rather go independent than go to AAC. Oregon St. and Washington St. unfortunately will probably have to choose between Mountain West and AAC, unless Big 12 or AAC takes them pity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT