ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big 12 + realignment talk going forward

SDSU may come out of this extremely lucky to not have left the MWC. The dominoes are going to fall as Arizona, Arizona St and Utah could be next for the Big 12. Oregon and Washington then may leave to the Big 10.

It may turn out that the MWC will suck up what is left of the Pac 12, rather than the other way around.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
SDSU may come out of this extremely lucky to not have left the MWC. The dominoes are going to fall as Arizona, Arizona St and Utah could be next for the Big 12. Oregon and Washington then may leave to the Big 10.

It may turn out that the MWC will suck up what is left of the Pac 12, rather than the other way around.
Supposedly, it will be Arizona, Oregon State and Oregon joining Colorado in going to the Big 12. Utah isn't interested. Arizona State is unknown.

I think the PAC will stay alive and take their pick of the litter from the MWC and AAC. Hopefully it's mostly MWC schools so utep gets its shot to move in.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Supposedly, it will be Arizona, Oregon State and Oregon joining Colorado in going to the Big 12. Utah isn't interested. Arizona State is unknown.

I think the PAC will stay alive and take their pick of the litter from the MWC and AAC. Hopefully it's mostly MWC schools so utep gets its shot to move in.

Big 12 would be Fili level smart if they took Oregon St instead of Arizona St. If you told ASU, that Colorado, Arizona, and Oregon were leaving, they would leave too. They wouldn’t stay with the leftovers.

Colorado leaving is a huge blow to the P12. Brett McMurphy is reporting that CU will leave next year (24-25). That means the P12 will be playing with 9 teams (at this moment) that year. Their #1 expansion candidate, SDSU won’t be able to afford the $34M exit fee from the MWC to join in 11 months.

P12 is not looking in good shape if Colorado does indeed leave.

If the best of the MWC schools get pulled into the PAC 12, what will be left of the MWC for UTEP to join? If the Mountain West gets gutted, what's the point? We might as well stay where we are. We can pull UNM into CUSA so we can fill out a western division of the conference. Of course, this is all pure speculation.

If the best of the MWC schools get pulled into the PAC 12, what will be left of the MWC for UTEP to join? If the Mountain West gets gutted, what's the point? We might as well stay where we are. We can pull UNM into CUSA so we can fill out a western division of the conference. Of course, this is all pure speculation.
MWC has a much better TV contract and a good relationship with Fox, which will offer decent tv time slots. If utep has that the opportunity, they have to jump. Plus, the PAC will raid both the AAC and MWC. Most likely, the PAC isn't adding schools like UNLV, Boise and Fresno due to their academics. There will still be attractive schools left over in the MWC. However, I don't think the MWC will lose enough to make them desperate enough to add utep. The PAC will add from both the MWC and AAC with candidates like SDSU, SMU, Colorado State, Tulane and Rice. Which will not force either conference into that desperation mode.

The PAC 12 needs to do what the Big 12 did and add the best schools available before it’s too late. It’s a good idea for them to go up to 14. SDSU, SMU, Tulane, Memphis and one more.

Reactions: FedupMiner
What’s left of the MWC will still be better than CUSA. CUSA will only be able to take FCS move ups going forward. So UTEP being with UNM, Utah St, and Wyoming is better than what CUSA has and will offer.

The PAC 12 needs to do what the Big 12 did and add the best schools available before it’s too late. It’s a good idea for them to go up to 14. SDSU, SMU, Tulane, Memphis and one more.
Here’s the thing though. The Big 12 added Cincy, Houston, UCF, and BYU.

You (and others) are suggesting that the Pac add SDSU, SMU, Tulane, and Memphis. 3 of which are so far out of their footprint. Option number 5 is so good, you couldn’t even name a team.

I really don’t see how that would be attractive to Memphis either. You add those 4 or 5 teams, and the Pac is barely still a power conference and that’s assuming they don’t lose anyone else!

The Big 12 scoring BYU and Colorado allows them to put games on at 8:30 (MT) for their partners. Each team they add in the mountain and pacific time zones, devalues the PAC’s worth and bargaining power.

Feels like were edging closer to the "4 FB super conferences" everyone always talks speculates about.

Its improbable, but I personally would like to see Oregon or Washington jump into the Big 12 just to see what havoc that'd cause.

Here’s the thing though. The Big 12 added Cincy, Houston, UCF, and BYU.

You (and others) are suggesting that the Pac add SDSU, SMU, Tulane, and Memphis. 3 of which are so far out of their footprint. Option number 5 is so good, you couldn’t even name a team.

I really don’t see how that would be attractive to Memphis either. You add those 4 or 5 teams, and the Pac is barely still a power conference and that’s assuming they don’t lose anyone else!

The Big 12 scoring BYU and Colorado allows them to put games on at 8:30 (MT) for their partners. Each team they add in the mountain and pacific time zones, devalues the PAC’s worth and bargaining power.
I don't see Memphis being considered for the PAC. They'd be a much better fit in the Big 12. I see Tulane, Rice, SMU, Colorado State (to replace Colorado) and SDSU. Rice is a terrible athletic addition but hell, look at how far they have gone with being in Houston and being an academic beast. Stanford would love them some Rice.

I don't see Memphis being considered for the PAC. They'd be a much better fit in the Big 12. I see Tulane, Rice, SMU, Colorado State (to replace Colorado) and SDSU. Rice is a terrible athletic addition but hell, look at how far they have gone with being in Houston and being an academic beast. Stanford would love them some Rice.
That is the problem the Pac is facing. There’s no reason to add Rice. None. They suck and have sucked forever basically, especially in basketball. You can get Air Force instead of Rice. You can get UNLV and Boise St instead of SMU and Tulane.

If they want to be snobs, then they will end up crashing and burning. The TV networks aren’t going to give them more money for Tulane, SMU, and Rice. They probably won’t give them more money for AFA, UNLV, and Boise, but at least the athletes won’t be flying two time zones away for games.

USC and UCLA are so different, because they’re huge LA brands and bring significant money to the Big 10. Those AAC schools that the Pac is rumored to be interested in, are the exact opposite of USC and UCLA.

That is the problem the Pac is facing. There’s no reason to add Rice. None. They suck and have sucked forever basically, especially in basketball. You can get Air Force instead of Rice. You can get UNLV and Boise St instead of SMU and Tulane.

If they want to be snobs, then they will end up crashing and burning. The TV networks aren’t going to give them more money for Tulane, SMU, and Rice. They probably won’t give them more money for AFA, UNLV, and Boise, but at least the athletes won’t be flying two time zones away for games.

USC and UCLA are so different, because they’re huge LA brands and bring significant money to the Big 10. Those AAC schools that the Pac is rumored to be interested in, are the exact opposite of USC and UCLA.
Air Force is one I forgot that makes sense.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I could see the PAC takes 2 from MW. SDSU & UNLV. One from the AAC. SMU. The AAC takes Colorado St, Air Force, and maybe Boise from MW.

At the point the MW is left with 7. They can either try and poach from CUSA or combine into one league. Grab another FCS school or send Hawaii independent.

I think this is our best chance to have a regional division and a somewhat competitive league with established FBS programs.

I could see the PAC takes 2 from MW. SDSU & UNLV. One from the AAC. SMU. The AAC takes Colorado St, Air Force, and maybe Boise from MW.

At the point the MW is left with 7. They can either try and poach from CUSA or combine into one league. Grab another FCS school or send Hawaii independent.

I think this is our best chance to have a regional division and a somewhat competitive league with established FBS programs.
It’s very unlikely the MWC and CUSA will combine into 1 league. They already attempted that 10 years and it would result in the loss of 1 auto bid in non football sports.

The MWC can take UTEP, NMSU, and probably LaTech and SHSU at any time from CUSA. Along with any Big Sky or MVFC team that is wanting to go to FBS.

The CUSA commish is wanting to go to 12, with Missouri St, Eastern Kentucky, and Tarleton St waiting. Oh boy! As UTEP fans, we need the Big 12 to take more teams from the Pac 12. It’s the only chance to get into the MWC. If not, start getting pumped about the teams mentioned in the article.

It’s very unlikely the MWC and CUSA will combine into 1 league. They already attempted that 10 years and it would result in the loss of 1 auto bid in non football sports.

The MWC can take UTEP, NMSU, and probably LaTech and SHSU at any time from CUSA. Along with any Big Sky or MVFC team that is wanting to go to FBS.

The CUSA commish is wanting to go to 12, with Missouri St, Eastern Kentucky, and Tarleton St waiting. Oh boy! As UTEP fans, we need the Big 12 to take more teams from the Pac 12. It’s the only chance to get into the MWC. If not, start getting pumped about the teams mentioned in the article.

Im not so sure SHSU and LT would jump to a depleted MW.

If the big 12 weakens the PAC too much then I think our chances of joining the MW are gone.

Pay out sucks enough. Imagine wanting to add more and diluting the payout.

I've posted this before but want to point out again that if MWC gets raided too deeply by the PAC, then what's the point of joining a depleted conference? Someone mentioned the MWC media deal being better. It won't be after being gutted. Let's let the dust settle before we go jumping around. Who knows what we'll land in if we don't.

Reactions: nattybry
Im not so sure SHSU and LT would jump to a depleted MW.

If the big 12 weakens the PAC too much then I think our chances of joining the MW are gone.
LaTech joined the WAC when UTEP, Nevada, Boise, Hawaii, Fresno, SJSU were members. Do you think LaTech fans are excited about being with the bottom feeders, misfits, and FCS move ups in CUSA?

I've posted this before but want to point out again that if MWC gets raided too deeply by the PAC, then what's the point of joining a depleted conference? Someone mentioned the MWC media deal being better. It won't be after being gutted. Let's let the dust settle before we go jumping around. Who knows what we'll land in if we don't.
It’s pretty obvious that Wyoming, UNM, Utah St, SJSU, Nevada, and others won’t be desired by the Pac 12 or AAC. They still have a viable conference with some additions.

Even if the TV deal gets worse, you’re telling me you would rather play your October games on Wednesdays and be with FIU and FCS move ups over MWC leftovers???

I f’in wouldn’t.

LaTech joined the WAC when UTEP, Nevada, Boise, Hawaii, Fresno, SJSU were members. Do you think LaTech fans are excited about being with the bottom feeders, misfits, and FCS move ups in CUSA?
If the MW takes UTEP and NMSU what bottom feeders are they with? Idk would they rather be with FCs schools near them or FCs schools from the west coast.

It’s pretty obvious that Wyoming, UNM, Utah St, SJSU, Nevada, and others won’t be desired by the Pac 12 or AAC. They still have a viable conference with some additions.

Even if the TV deal gets worse, you’re telling me you would rather play your October games on Wednesdays and be with FIU and FCS move ups over MWC leftovers???

I f’in wouldn’t.
You’re saying those 5 schools and whatever FCS schools they find won’t end up on Wednesdays?

I'm not even that bothered by Wednesday games. Get the loss out of the early in the week. The MWC would be an improved payout though.

Reactions: Rocketsr
If the MW takes UTEP and NMSU what bottom feeders are they with? Idk would they rather be with FCs schools near them or FCs schools from the west coast.

FIU.

They would probably want to be with old WAC schools than FCS move ups. They could always move to another conference if they perform well in the MWC.

MWC and AAC are the only football conferences that have had teams move up to P5.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the MW die and for CUSA to pick up the pieces and form a western branch.
Yes, but that would be a last resort for them. They wouldn’t want to give up their auto bid, and we’re not talking just basketball, every other sport the MWC sponsors.

So if 5 or 6 MWC teams can get others to join, they will do it. CUSA did it. The only difference being, CUSA has a lot more options because of geography.

I'd take the WAC at this point.
The problem is the WAC has both public and private schools and has both football and non-football schools.

Being an Independent would be seemingly difficult for a school like UTEP since NMSU, BYU, and Liberty are no longer independents. UMass is probably the only team UTEP could schedule on a regular basis now. UConn and Army didn’t waste their time with NMSU, so it’s unlikely UTEP could schedule with them.

Reactions: Dmanminer
The problem is the WAC has both public and private schools and has both football and non-football schools.

Being an Independent would be seemingly difficult for a school like UTEP since NMSU, BYU, and Liberty are no longer independents. UMass is probably the only team UTEP could schedule on a regular basis now. UConn and Army didn’t waste their time with NMSU, so it’s unlikely UTEP could schedule with them.
Army scheduled with UTEP during the Kugler years. Attendance at UTEP was pretty good, too, at over 37,000 (reaching for the Ft. Bliss crowd, I assume). It's just too bad that UTEP sucked and Kugler was the coach.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Army scheduled with UTEP during the Kugler years. Attendance at UTEP was pretty good, too, at over 37,000 (reaching for the Ft. Bliss crowd, I assume). It's just too bad that UTEP sucked and Kugler was the coach.
Yeah and Bob Stull claimed he had been trying to schedule them once he became AD.

I don’t believe NMSU played Army when they were independent.

I'm not even that bothered by Wednesday games. Get the loss out of the early in the week. The MWC would be an improved payout though.
I still think we'll have more wins then losses this year barring injuries. Teams alot better than most of y'all realize. Coaching is still a C+ though at best, so I get the doubt too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT