ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big 12 + realignment talk going forward

UTEPs only chance at improving was the scenario of the Pac 4 adding the top of the MWC and the top of the AAC. That seems like it’s not happening, so we’re going to be where we expected to be a month ago.
PAC took too long. They should have added the best of the MW and AAC as soon as USC and UCLA left. I’m guessing that even with the “best of the rest” it wasn’t good enough to keep the other 6 schools from leaving.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
On UTEP fans walking around malls and liquor stores and H-E-B.

In seriousness though, I've purchased a couple of miniature UTEP helmets and metal stick-on logo emblems from Field Of Dreams in Stonebriar Mall. I don't remember if I bought the UTEP pennants I have at that same store or elsewhere.

PAC took too long. They should have added the best of the MW and AAC as soon as USC and UCLA left. I’m guessing that even with the “best of the rest” it wasn’t good enough to keep the other 6 schools from leaving.
At a minimum should have added any Big 12 teams when OU and UT left. Could have probably got Houston at any time before the got into the Big 12 too.

That’s what happens when you have elitist attitudes. Get left holding the bag like Cal and Stanford.

If Pac4 (or Pac 3) get added, you think MWC will turn around and drop 3/4 dead weight schools or stay at 16?

Yeah those two might end up becoming another Colorado St. The fact that the MW kept all their top programs and added former P5s makes them the winner imo. AAC lost P5 quality programs and replaced them with Charlotte and RICE. MAC stayed stable. SB could be another option for the winner this round.
Yeah, from that perspective I have to agree.

Crazy.

What I’ve never understood about SMU is that everyone says they have all these rich boosters but yet that wealth/generosity has not translated to major modern day on field success.

Last edited:
Smu would join with no revenue? They are desperate.
I don’t know about that. Maybe in the sense, as they admit to, they see this as perhaps their last opportunity to jump into the ranks of the P5 or P4 or whatever. The writer of the article gives them props for looking 20-30 years down the road as opposed to 2-3, should they gain acceptance into the ACC.

If there’s a group of boosters willing to foot the bill, it’s not really SMU as a program or institution that’s desperate. They will be playing with house $$$ in a sense.

Now, rebuild the PAC somehow. No merger plz.

I figured the ACC would vote it down. There's a lot of unhappy campers there and they don't want to split the pot even more.
Easier said than done though. High exit fees along with time frame, make it difficult. Add in an uncertain tv deal for the new Pac. Seems unlikely.

Reactions: Lil_Train

I don't know how credible this is but here's to hope
I don’t understand why PAC didn’t do this the instant they lost USC and UCLA. Add the 4-6 best G5’s.

I think those 8 schools together plus the 4 leftovers are worth maybe 10 million a year with the right tv deal. For the MW schools it’s a nice raise but is it worth it for the AAC schools?

I wonder if it was Stanford and Cal that opposed to the 30 million a year offer PAC had. No matter what they do, the money will not come close to that now.

I don’t understand why PAC didn’t do this the instant they lost USC and UCLA. Add the 4-6 best G5’s.

I think those 8 schools together plus the 4 leftovers are worth maybe 10 million a year with the right tv deal. For the MW schools it’s a nice raise but is it worth it for the AAC schools?

I wonder if it was Stanford and Cal that opposed to the 30 million a year offer PAC had. No matter what they do, the money will not come close to that now.
In a scenario like this it's almost for sure Stanford will ask for a higher revenue share them the rest of the league or threaten to go independent in Football. Let's Face it Stanford by a large Margin would be the name that gives this proposed expanded PAC12 credibility and the ammo to get a good TV Deal, albeit less than the 30 million they turned down. Anyway if this happens I'd say 100% Utep goes to watered down MWC which would look something like this:

Nevada West
Air Force East
Wyoming West
San Jose St. West
UNM East
Hawaii (Football Only) West
Utah St. West
Fresno St. West
UTEP (added) East
NMSU (added) East
N.Dakota St. (FCS Currently) East
S. Dakota St. (FCS Currently) East

I'd say this would be worth about 2-3 million per school TV wise and more then double Utep's current pay out and would put them behind new PAC12 and AAC which would have there's drop significantly if those 4 schools leave.

🙄🙄

“When the Pac-12 CEO group met to discuss the offer, one of the league presidents had other ideas. The president worked with a professor on his campus to come up with their own estimate of what the 10 schools should get based on their market value: $50 million.”

🙄🙄

“When the Pac-12 CEO group met to discuss the offer, one of the league presidents had other ideas. The president worked with a professor on his campus to come up with their own estimate of what the 10 schools should get based on their market value: $50 million.”

That sounds very elitist/stanfordy.

Reactions: Rocketsr

Just comes down to timing and money. Stanford and Cal will continue to do everything they can to join the Big 10 or ACC. Why would Memphis or SMU pay money to join them? What exactly are Memphis and SMU joining?

The Pac 12 really fudged up this whole thing. Once Colorado left, everyone started looking out for themselves - as they should. Just so happens the 4 leftovers don’t have the attributes the others did.

If the Pac 12 added Houston and SMU or any other 2-4 schools in the central time zone when USC/UCLA/TX/OU left, they would still be in business.

If I were a Memphis or SMU fan, would I really want to see my school pay big bucks to join Cal and Stanford to possibly play on Apple TV? Especially knowing those two clearly aren’t happy?

Reactions: JCorona
The value of an item is only what someone is willing to pay for it -- not what the owner thinks it's worth. When a transaction is completed, the value is known

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Just comes down to timing and money. Stanford and Cal will continue to do everything they can to join the Big 10 or ACC. Why would Memphis or SMU pay money to join them? What exactly are Memphis and SMU joining?

The Pac 12 really fudged up this whole thing. Once Colorado left, everyone started looking out for themselves - as they should. Just so happens the 4 leftovers don’t have the attributes the others did.

If the Pac 12 added Houston and SMU or any other 2-4 schools in the central time zone when USC/UCLA/TX/OU left, they would still be in business.

If I were a Memphis or SMU fan, would I really want to see my school pay big bucks to join Cal and Stanford to possibly play on Apple TV? Especially knowing those two clearly aren’t happy?
Yea they played defense. When Texas/OU left they should have been knocking down the big 12’s door for the best schools of their choice.

Crazy how two p5’s lost their two cash cows at similar times. One conference came out stronger while the other one is practically dead.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

Hubris

Reactions: JCorona
According to this Article the PAC 4 is going to merge with the the AAC which will dissolve leaving UAB and without a conference and moving UTSA, N. Texas, Rice and FAU way up! They would also in this article take 3 MWC teams. If this scenario plays out, it could get real interesting for Utep and AAC teams not included.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college...tedly-join-george-kliavkoff-s-powerhouse-2025
You no read good, as UAB is mentioned and pictured in some guy’s fantasy. In that scenario Charlotte, Tulsa, Wichita St, and Navy would be the AAC teams “left”.

According to this Article the PAC 4 is going to merge with the the AAC which will dissolve leaving UAB and without a conference and moving UTSA, N. Texas, Rice and FAU way up! They would also in this article take 3 MWC teams. If this scenario plays out, it could get real interesting for Utep and AAC teams not included.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college...tedly-join-george-kliavkoff-s-powerhouse-2025
That whole scenario is a fantasy as Stanford would never be happy in it. Do you really think Stanford is not going to keep clamoring to get to the ACC or some other conference. Then the other 3 are going to say the same thing? It will never hold up.

This same website has had the MWC merging with the Pac 12. And 15 other possibilites. It is as if they are throwing Darts and hoping that one of the 15 hits home.

If you look back, there was a rumor on this awhile ago as SDSU was rumored to have wanted to do this exact same thing and get the best of the MWC, the 4 PAC 12, and best of AAC and try and keep it a Power 5. This is the exact same thing just reversed engineered.

That whole scenario is a fantasy as Stanford would never be happy in it. Do you really think Stanford is not going to keep clamoring to get to the ACC or some other conference. Then the other 3 are going to say the same thing? It will never hold up.

This same website has had the MWC merging with the Pac 12. And 15 other possibilites. It is as if they are throwing Darts and hoping that one of the 15 hits home.

If you look back, there was a rumor on this awhile ago as SDSU was rumored to have wanted to do this exact same thing and get the best of the MWC, the 4 PAC 12, and best of AAC and try and keep it a Power 5. This is the exact same thing just reversed engineered.
GW Bush and Condi Rice are pushing hard to get SMU and Stanford into the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT