ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big 12 + realignment talk going forward

Oregon St and Washington St are the P5 versions of us. We don't bring a big TV market, and we are secluded regionally. Sucks to be them. Sucks to be us. Sucks to suck. I still blame Bob Stull and Natalicio
Our TV market is pro
Oregon St and Washington St are the P5 versions of us. We don't bring a big TV market, and we are secluded regionally. Sucks to be them. Sucks to be us. Sucks to suck. I still blame Bob Stull and Natalicio
Our TV market is probably 5 times that of Oregon St or Waazzou, but yes we are remote. (For the record still don't completely understand how our TV market is so small compared to smaller cities) I guess multifamily homes with only one or 2 televisions, still unclear on that whole thing, but anyways... They have the benefit though of being P5 for so many years and a large athletic budget compared to ours. We can all agree the mistake was when Utep decided to stick with the rest of Texas instead of staying with Mountain West and found out real quick the rest of Texas doesn't care. Been living in Dallas 5 years and no where can you find Utep gear, I mean no where!!! Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, TCU, N.Texas.... For the love of God even Tarleton St. Abilene Christian lol

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Our TV market is pro

Our TV market is probably 5 times that of Oregon St or Waazzou, but yes we are remote. (For the record still don't completely understand how our TV market is so small compared to smaller cities) I guess multifamily homes with only one or 2 televisions, still unclear on that whole thing, but anyways... They have the benefit though of being P5 for so many years and a large athletic budget compared to ours. We can all agree the mistake was when Utep decided to stick with the rest of Texas instead of staying with Mountain West and found out real quick the rest of Texas doesn't care. Been living in Dallas 5 years and no where can you find Utep gear, I mean no where!!! Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, TCU, N.Texas.... For the love of God even Tarleton St. Abilene Christian lol
Yes, our TV market is better than theirs but it's still not big enough to be desirable to other conferences.

El Paso has always been the poor relations to the rest of Texas. If El Paso dropped off the planet, the rest of the state wouldn't notice or care. UTEP is geographically closer to the Arizona schools than to most Texas schools. But there is the factor than geographical footprint doesn't seem to matter anymore. We used to complain about UTEP playing in the eastern time zone. Now we are going to see California schools in the pacific time zone playing in eastern time. Go figure.

The Mountain West showed us they didn’t care either by leaving us behind in the WAC. Our mistake wasn’t going with the Texas schools, our mistake has always been that we fu(king suck.
That too, but it was 100% stated by former AD Utep's intent on staying together with Texas schools, who've now left us of course.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
That too, but it was 100% stated by former AD Utep's intent on staying together with Texas schools, who've now left us of course.
Yeah. Was it the right call to leave the WAC for CUSA and Texas schools? I don’t know. I’ve heard a lot of people say if we had stayed in the wac we would be in the MW right now. Maybe or maybe we would have been forced to be independent when WAC football dissolved and right now we would be entering CUSA along with NMSU.

We can all agree the mistake was when Utep decided to stick with the rest of Texas instead of staying with Mountain West and found out real quick the rest of Texas doesn't care. Been living in Dallas 5 years and no where can you find Utep gear, I mean no where!!! Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, TCU, N.Texas.... For the love of God even Tarleton St. Abilene Christian lol

Been in the Austin/San Antonio area for almost 20 years now. You forgot Texas St., UTSA, Houston, and Rice 🤣

The Mountain West showed us they didn’t care either by leaving us behind in the WAC. Our mistake wasn’t going with the Texas schools, our mistake has always been that we fu(king suck.
It’s fiscally irresponsible to care about another school. All the schools that left the Pac 12 did so because they didn’t want to be left like Cal and the others.

The MWC left UTEP behind because they were looking out for themselves. Just like if the MWC offered UTEP, UTEP would leave NMSU and LaTech in a heartbeat. There’s no feelings, it’s just business.

Yeah. Was it the right call to leave the WAC for CUSA and Texas schools? I don’t know. I’ve heard a lot of people say if we had stayed in the wac we would be in the MW right now. Maybe or maybe we would have been forced to be independent when WAC football dissolved and right now we would be entering CUSA along with NMSU.
So in the worst case scenario, UTEP would have been exactly where it is now. Since joining CUSA, we have a GMAC Bowl and 3 NM Bowls, all losses. CUSA has done nothing for UTEP. All 11 schools that UTEP played with in 2005-06 are in better conferences.

Hindsight is 20/20, so remaining in the WAC should have been what we did.

So in the worst case scenario, UTEP would have been exactly where it is now. Since joining CUSA, we have a GMAC Bowl and 3 NM Bowls, all losses. CUSA has done nothing for UTEP. All 11 schools that UTEP played with in 2005-06 are in better conferences.

Hindsight is 20/20, so remaining in the WAC should have been what we did.
There could be a worse case scenario.

With the exception of LT all the WAC schools we played with in 2004-2005 are in a better conference. Looks like a pattern forming and we’re the common denominator.

It doesn’t matter had we stayed or left if we are just gonna stink up any conference we’re in.

We'll never know, but agree this and past administrations have done nothing to make us more attractive.

Here in Dallas you don't see those teams really, Houston yes, UTSA and Texas St. no

This will be hard to believe, I know, but I've seen more UTEP stuff in McKinney/Dallas than UTSA stuff. Yet, conferences don't give a crap about UTEP.

UTEP fans are loving and patient no matter the stench of losing so much for so long. Conference heads on the other hand pick up on only the stench; not the love that emanates from us fans. You'd think that conference heads might link our love to our eyeballs on TV screens but, well, nope.

We'll never know, but agree this and past administrations have done nothing to make us more attractive.
It’s just a combination of things. There are probably some “Miner morons” up in Pullman and Corvallis blaming their administrations too. Stull and Senter can only do so much. They’re not entirely to blame. Yes, they deserve some of it, but there’s some things that are out of their control. Some of it is just luck and/or timing.

NMSU had a really good mid major basketball program and the only reason they’re in CUSA and not the WAC, is because CUSA got raided by the AAC, which was raided by the Big 12. If OK and UT don’t go to the SEC, they’re probably still in the WAC and Independent.

Reactions: nattybry
There could be a worse case scenario.

With the exception of LT all the WAC schools we played with in 2004-2005 are in a better conference. Looks like a pattern forming and we’re the common denominator.

It doesn’t matter had we stayed or left if we are just gonna stink up any conference we’re in.
UTEP not upgrading its athletic facilities over the years especially during the Nstalicio era has been pretty noticeable in the social media age.

UTEP not upgrading its athletic facilities over the years especially during the Nstalicio era has been pretty noticeable in the social media age.
LMAO!
Cal heavily renovated their football and basketball facilities in the last 20 years. Stanford rebuilt their football stadium and renovated their basketball arena during that time too. Oregon St is done or almost done completely rebuilding theirs.

Those 3 upgraded their facilities and still got left behind.

Oh man, this guy who reported NMSU applying for the Pac 12 and UTEP didn’t, is now reporting likely death for the Pac 12. Shame Senter didn’t apply for it!!!!

I wonder if the American regrets inviting some of the teams they did from CUSA. They could have snagged all four leftovers. Still can technically.

I wonder if the American regrets inviting some of the teams they did from CUSA. They could have snagged all four leftovers. Still can technically.
Who would you have left behind? UAB, FAU, Charlotte, Rice, UNT or UTSA? I see the reasons why each one was invited.

I would really like to see Stanford and Cal “stoop” to the levels of the AAC. Be surprised if it actually happens.

This will be hard to believe, I know, but I've seen more UTEP stuff in McKinney/Dallas than UTSA stuff. Yet, conferences don't give a crap about UTEP.

UTEP fans are loving and patient no matter the stench of losing so much for so long. Conference heads on the other hand pick up on only the stench; not the love that emanates from us fans. You'd think that conference heads might link our love to our eyeballs on TV screens but, well, nope.
Where can I find some Utep stuff

If the MW convinces Oregon St and Washington St to join then they clearly come out on top this cycle in the g5 realignment world.

If the MW convinces Oregon St and Washington St to join then they clearly come out on top this cycle in the g5 realignment world.
Meh. Maybe not. Perhaps it appears that way on the front end. Kinda thinking Oregon State and Washington State will sink to the level of relevance and “prestige” equal to that of Colorado State and Utah State within a few short years.

The other common denominator for the state of UTEP athletic through the years no one is mentioning.... Fan support.
FAU was lucky to get 1,000 - 2,000 fans for basketball games and their head coach made less than half of what Bronzeing did. STFU about fan support.

SMU has never really had equal or better fan support than UTEP since they came back from the Death Penalty. Yet, they were mentioned for Pac 12 expansion and apparently now the ACC.

Fan support and facilities have nothing to do with it.

Meh. Maybe not. Perhaps it appears that way on the front end. Kinda thinking Oregon State and Washington State will sink to the level of relevance and “prestige” equal to that of Colorado State and Utah State within a few short years.
That’s likely, especially if they “struggle” in the MWC. Once TV money dries up and the networks can’t afford the big contracts, all these far flung conferences will return to the good ole days. That’s what I predict. It doesn’t really matter for football too much, but it does for other sports.

I don’t see WSU or OSU going to the MWC or Cal and Stanford going to the AAC. The most likely scenario is those four programs will end up in the ACC.

Last edited:
Funny and Surprised to here UTEP on ESPN lol On Freddy & Fitzimmons they picked 5 teams to be added to the Big 12 to make 22 and low and behold last one was Utep and they had positive things to say and it wasn't tongue n cheek actually lol

Yeah those two might end up becoming another Colorado St. The fact that the MW kept all their top programs and added former P5s makes them the winner imo. AAC lost P5 quality programs and replaced them with Charlotte and RICE. MAC stayed stable. SB could be another option for the winner this round.

LMAO!
Cal heavily renovated their football and basketball facilities in the last 20 years.

Cal's football stadium renovation is a cluster fudge of BAD financial management and probably why no conference is willing to touch Cal unless the Golden Bears accept yet another bad financial deal. Cal's new stadium is on a 100 year payment plan at about 30 mil per year!!!

Cal's football stadium renovation is a cluster fudge of BAD financial management and probably why no conference is willing to touch Cal unless the Golden Bears accept yet another bad financial deal. Cal's new stadium is on a 100 year payment plan at about 30 mil per year!!!
And? Are conference mates responsible for making payments on their debt? Do potential football recruits care about how it’s being paid for or how much debt is involved?

Cal got left behind because they suck at football and basketball, along with their attitude. Not their facilities or money problems surrounding it.

I think this guy may be right bust because look at what happened to the old WAC. That conference was way too big and the top teams will realize they’re carrying a bunch of dead weight.
There's just a little bit more money in the Big Whatever than there was in the WAC 16. And Ohio State and Michigan are used to carrying water for Illinois and Indiana by now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT