ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA Reducing Basketball Tournament to 8 Teams

I wonder what the reasoning is.

I remember back in the day when UTEP used to compete at a high level every tournament game until the semis actually hurt your tournament resumé because they were considered "weak" wins.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I like this, if we qualify it’s a 1 in 8 chance to win the tournament. It’s also more even since everyone will play their first game on the same day. If we don’t qualify does missing the conference tournament in 2 out of 3 years equal Terry’s dismissal?

I wonder what the reasoning is.

I remember back in the day when UTEP used to compete at a high level every tournament game until the semis actually hurt your tournament resumé because they were considered "weak" wins.

Because CUSA is so spread out and none of their teams travel. LaTech, UTEP, Rice, UTSA, and UNT are all a reasonable drive or short flight away from the tournament site. Doesn’t matter, empty seats everywhere. None of the eastern teams fans are going to travel to Dallas every year. None of the western fans are going to travel to say Nashville or Birmingham every year.

There’s no perfect site for it. One of the many reasons why having your league stretch from El Paso to Norfolk is stupid.

I like this, if we qualify it’s a 1 in 8 chance to win the tournament. It’s also more even since everyone will play their first game on the same day. If we don’t qualify does missing the conference tournament in 2 out of 3 years equal Terry’s dismissal?
I like it also. The old WAC, when UTEP vs BYU was a thing, tournament games were at least played at the site of the higher seed or regular season champ, attendance was very good. More revenue is a good thing. Also having only the top 8 or even just the top 4 adds value to the regular season. Have a good season and you're in the tournament. Have a mediocre or poor season and there is no reason to reward you with a spot in the tournament.

I like it also. The old WAC, when UTEP vs BYU was a thing, tournament games were at least played at the site of the higher seed or regular season champ, attendance was very good. More revenue is a good thing. Also having only the top 8 or even just the top 4 adds value to the regular season. Have a good season and you're in the tournament. Have a mediocre or poor season and there is no reason to reward you with a spot in the tournament.
In the history of CUSA only one team has won the conference tournament as a 9 seed or higher.

I like it also. The old WAC, when UTEP vs BYU was a thing, tournament games were at least played at the site of the higher seed or regular season champ, attendance was very good. More revenue is a good thing.

There’s nothing in Steve’s article or Brett’s tweet that suggests it will be played at the champions home court. How do you get more revenue if your teams, that don’t travel well, are still flying to a neutral site? More WKU fans aren’t going to travel to Dallas now because there’s 4 less teams going.

There’s nothing in Steve’s article or Brett’s tweet that suggests it will be played at the champions home court. How do you get more revenue if your teams, that don’t travel well, are still flying to a neutral site? More WKU fans aren’t going to travel to Dallas now because there’s 4 less teams going.
It is still going to be in Frisco. I was remarking that they should change that to have lower seeds visit higher seeds in order to increase attendance. They have not decided to do that unfortunately.

It is still going to be in Frisco. I was remarking that they should change that to have lower seeds visit higher seeds in order to increase attendance. They have not decided to do that unfortunately.

That concept doesn’t work anymore. Planned neutral sites give the conferences more money. Imagine if UTEP/WKU we’re battling it out for 1st place the last day of the season. Fans wanting to attend would have to wait until after the game to do so. Meanwhile, all CUSA arenas would have to block out events from being held in their arenas during the tournament. Fine for schools like Rice, who don’t hold concerts there, but that’s a big deal for UTEP.

Hosting at the higher seed is only for smaller, more regional leagues. If you play the whole tournament in El Paso and UTEP loses early, nobody goes. Look at the last one here for proof.

I honestly think conferences like C-USA outside the power ten conferences should gid rid of their conference tournaments. Right now the regular season irrelevant and meaningless. In one bid leagues you should ensure the season matters and that you send your best team to the tournament. It's always sad to see a conference champion relegated to the NIT.

I honestly think conferences like C-USA outside the power ten conferences should gid rid of their conference tournaments. Right now the regular season irrelevant and meaningless. In one bid leagues you should ensure the season matters and that you send your best team to the tournament. It's always sad to see a conference champion relegated to the NIT.

They make money, give exposure, and it’s nice for the athletes to play in different environment. If there’s no conference tournament, your #3 seed has no shot of going to the NCAAs. Kind of sucks.

It's sad we even have to talk about UTEP basketball making the conference USA tournament period. We should be talking about championship chances and top 4 every year. If we can't make the top 8 in this weak conference we don't deserve post season play.

I keep saying this conference in basketbAll is not as bad as people say it is.... it’s just the bottom dwellers that kill us but top 6 of league could compete anywhere

I keep saying this conference in basketbAll is not as bad as people say it is.... it’s just the bottom dwellers that kill us but top 6 of league could compete anywhere

Look at the Top 6 teams from last season and please fill out their best 5 OOC victories and include those teams overall and conference records.

I’m not saying the WAC Top 6 could “compete anywhere”. I wasn’t talking to you either. If he believes that, I am asking him to prove to me it’s not a laughable statement.
That’s because the WAC top 6 can’t. Maybe the top one but even they can’t win any notable post season games. Cusa bottom two seeds would rank second and third in the WAC. Look at how the top cusa teams have performed in the post season there’s the proof you need to know it’s not a laughable statement.

Look at how the top cusa teams have performed in the post season there’s the proof you need to know it’s not a laughable statement.

How you perform in the post season correlates to competing every game? Especially saying a whole conference can based on a game or two?

As oppose to basing it off a few ooc games?

It’s not a few though. I said list the 5 best. Once out there, you will see the 5 best are extremely weak and not very impressive.

You’re saying CUSA can compete based on a few NCAA tournament results in different, spaced out years.

So again, How you perform in the post season correlates to competing every game? Especially saying a whole conference can based on a game or two?

It’s not a few though. I said list the 5 best. Once out there, you will see the 5 best are extremely weak and not very impressive.

You’re saying CUSA can compete based on a few NCAA tournament results in different, spaced out years.

So again, How you perform in the post season correlates to competing every game? Especially saying a whole conference can based on a game or two?
Obviously he’s not implying that if you take the top 6 teams in CUSA and add them to the Big 12 they will finish ahead of the Big 12 teams. It’s not unreasonable to conclude that one or two of those teams in the top 6 could make a decent run in other conferences.

Obviously he’s not implying that if you take the top 6 teams in CUSA and add them to the Big 12 they will finish ahead of the Big 12 teams. It’s not unreasonable to conclude that one or two of those teams in the top 6 could make a decent run in other conferences.

Which conferences? Not the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East. So which conferences could 1 or 2 CUSA teams make decent runs in?

Which conferences? Not the Big 12, SEC, ACC, Big East. So which conferences could 1 or 2 CUSA teams make decent runs in?
They would probably finish mid table or below in those conferences but they’ll remain in the conference title race in the other high major conferences.

What OOC results did UNT have last season that would indicate to you they could finish mid table in the Big 12?
I never specifically said that UNT would finish mid table in the Big 12 so there’s no need for me to defend that position.

But you said the Top 6 in CUSA would finish mid table and UNT was the champion of CUSA. So a team below them could, but not them?
Mid table or below. It depends on which conference. As in best case scenario mid table. Yes a team other than the champion maybe could. Unlike the WAC where it’s NMSU and then 8 other teams in the 250 range, in cusa sometimes the champion is not the highest rated team. This year we didn’t have as a strong top as other seasons.

Mid table or below. It depends on which conference. As in best case scenario mid table. Yes a team other than the champion maybe could. Unlike the WAC where it’s NMSU and then 8 other teams in the 250 range, in cusa sometimes the champion is not the highest rated team. This year we didn’t have as a strong top as other seasons.

Ok, thanks for playing!

I was gonna join in the argument to weigh in my opinion. Then I realized it kinda doesn't matter who's top 5 or 6 is better, because both conferences only get one team in the NCAA. So that's really all you can base the strength argument on and how they do in the tourney against Major teams and it's obvious who wins.

I was gonna join in the argument to weigh in my opinion. Then I realized it kinda doesn't matter who's top 5 or 6 is better, because both conferences only get one team in the NCAA. So that's really all you can base the strength argument on and how they do in the tourney against Major teams and it's obvious who wins.

This wasn’t a CUSA/WAC argument. Corona tried to bring it in because he knows that CUSA sucks too. He said the Top 6 in CUSA could be mid table in a power league, but later said the champ of CUSA wouldn’t finish mid table in the Big 12. He then reverted to comparing it to the WAC, which I never brought up or was comparing it to.

This wasn’t a CUSA/WAC argument. Corona tried to bring it in because he knows that CUSA sucks too. He said the Top 6 in CUSA could be mid table in a power league, but later said the champ of CUSA wouldn’t finish mid table in the Big 12. He then reverted to comparing it to the WAC, which I never brought up or was comparing it to.
Oh ok then. No the top teams in Big12, ACC, Big 10, etc... Would kill our top 6 and middle teams would win most of the time. Our top 3 might finish in the lower middle 6-9. However 4,5, and 6 would be at the bottom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT