ADVERTISEMENT

Damn it, yes, fire Terry.

can you give first and last names and last school
Adam Hess, Salt Lake CC
Christian Agnew, North Alabama
Quincy McGriff, Santa Monica HS
Ze'Rik Onyema, San Antonio John Jay HS

We have three rides available, if no one else leaves. To me, other than Stroud, the defections were not huge losses. If Kennedy can come in and produce, it makes Stroud's loss a bit more bearable. Getting a plug and play point guard is huge; if not, it looks like McGriff will be the guy.

Last edited:
I hate it too but just FYI:

UAB just lost their 9th transfer today so we are not even tops in CUSA!
UTEP 6
Charlotte 5
Marshall, USM, UTSA, Rice 3 (Trey Murphy transferred up to UVA)
ODU, WK, North Texas 2 (Umoja Gibdon transferred up to OU)

Fresno St 6

Somebody mentioned earlier that Witchita State had a ton too. UNM has lost a ton.

Those are just the schools I counted.

There's no denying other schools have transfer problems, but we have to be among the worst/most year in and year out. It's unreal.

Adam Hess, Salt Lake CC
Christian Agnew, North Alabama
Quincy McGriff, Santa Monica HS
Ze'Rik Onyema, San Antonio John Jay HS

We have three rides available, if no one else leaves. To me, other than Stroud, the defections were not huge losses. If Kennedy can come in and produce, it makes Stroud's loss a bit more bearable. Getting a plug and play point guard is huge; if not, it looks like McGriff will be the guy.
During the practice where the public was invited to, prior to the season beginning, Kennedy was playing the point.

Damn Stroud could have played 30+ minutes a game next season. It was either Terry or something off the court that made him go home.
It’s Terry’s offensive philosophy and guard heavy schemes. Terry let him get away by investing most of the court time on trying to develop Villa. If Stroud had received half of those minutes early on, by the second half of conference play he would have averaged 25-30 minutes a game.

I hate it too but just FYI:

UAB just lost their 9th transfer today so we are not even tops in CUSA!
UTEP 6
Charlotte 5
Marshall, USM, UTSA, Rice 3 (Trey Murphy transferred up to UVA)
ODU, WK, North Texas 2 (Umoja Gibdon transferred up to OU)

Fresno St 6

Somebody mentioned earlier that Witchita State had a ton too. UNM has lost a ton.

Those are just the schools I counted.

UAB changed coaches, UTEP didn’t

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Still not as many as UTEP. Did Charlotte have 2 D1 transfers sit out a year, play a year, then go back in the portal like UTEP?
Let’s reverse the roles. Terry finishes in 4th and we don’t get a chance to play in the CUSA tournament. Then he losses 5 players to transfer market. Would you be bad mouthing Terry right now?

Let’s reverse the roles. Terry finishes in 4th and we don’t get a chance to play in the CUSA tournament. Then he losses 5 players to transfer market. Would you be bad mouthing Terry right now?

Depends on who the players are. Tarke and Eze leaving? Who ****in cares? Stroud, Archie, Hawkins, and Lathon? Another story. I don’t believe he will be able to bring in 4 better players than those guys. Even if he did, I don’t believe he will use them properly.

The UNA guy might be serviceable, the JC guy? He isn’t better than any of those 4.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Depends on who the players are. Tarke and Eze leaving? Who ****in cares? Stroud, Archie, Hawkins, and Lathon? Another story. I don’t believe he will be able to bring in 4 better players than those guys. Even if he did, I don’t believe he will use them properly.

The UNA guy might be serviceable, the JC guy? He isn’t better than any of those 4.
That’s fair. We haven’t lost anyone that was a major contributor. Stroud might turn out to be very good but he didn’t help us this year. Not his fault that Terry didn’t ply him more. Lathon and Hawkins both started a majority of their careers at UTEP and the best they produced is a season under .500 vs D1. A true pg will be a step up from both. You already mentioned Tarke and Eze. In what way did Archie helps us? We’ve lost a lot of players but not any proven contributors. Charlotte and UNT both lost one of their best players.

Wouldn’t it suck if we had the dream season we imagined. Cusa champs, don’t get a chance to play in the cusa tournament and then we lose our best player to the transfer market.

One way or another transfers are having ripple effects through the country. Some teams didn’t lose as many players as we did but they lost quality.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That’s fair. We haven’t lost anyone that was a major contributor. Stroud might turn out to be very good but he didn’t help us this year. Not his fault that Terry didn’t ply him more. Lathon and Hawkins both started a majority of their careers at UTEP and the best they produced is a season under .500 vs D1. A true pg will be a step up from both. You already mentioned Tarke and Eze. In what way did Archie helps us? We’ve lost a lot of players but not any proven contributors. Charlotte and UNT both lost one of their best players.

Wouldn’t it suck if we had the dream season we imagined. Cusa champs, don’t get a chance to play in the cusa tournament and then we lose our best player to the transfer market.

One way or another transfers are having ripple effects through the country. Some teams didn’t lose as many players as we did but they lost quality.

Archie seemed like he could get to the rim easier than most of the other guards. Like Stroud, I don’t think he played enough. Too much Vila, Boum. Not enough Stroud and Archie.

Teams lose quality every year. Whether due to professional opportunities, injuries, transfers, or graduation. This is nothing new. UTEP isn’t the only school that has player turnover

I really dont see how College Basketball can sustain this current model in which it's basically every player at every school can be a free agent every year.

There is no way for a team and a community to connect without continuity.
you make good points, but wins and revenue are more important these days that community and fan favorites.

Changes need to be made, but I like this take....

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I really dont see how College Basketball can sustain this current model in which it's basically every player at every school can be a free agent every year.

There is no way for a team and a community to connect without continuity.
Because of guys like LaVar Ball, that's why. He didn't start the fight, O'Bannon did over twenty years ago and legitimately so, LaVar got the sports media to let him speak with his bombastic voice on a live mic while using his son's status. O'Bannon laid out his side with sober coherency and analysis over the years and didn't want the limelight, he wanted fairness. Ball just popped off until he met up with someone with a waaaaaay bigger mouth and power, Donald Trump.

Anyways, top players were threatening to walk because of coaches like Time Floyd, who took D1 college coaching down a strange path of egocentric personality coaching style and their half million or above salaries instead of a more organic coaching style we UTEP fans got used to with Haskins. Kids aren't stupid and the NCAA had to adjust accordingly. Coaches are bitching all over and whining about the "give them all an award" generation of players. If you know what you're doing and have winning game plan, it will work out. Tony Barbee is a great example; it took time but he got it done and he didn't complain about the players.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Is there any chance these players that are leaving were part of the problem? We all said there were issues on the team and terry said multiple times some players didn’t want to put in what they needed to, could this be terry cleaning house?

Only problem with that is he was the one that recruited them. So it still falls back on him. His job to teach, motivate and inspire!

not saying that it’s not his fault just wondering if players are bolting or coach is encouraging to go elsewhere

not saying that it’s not his fault just wondering if players are bolting or coach is encouraging to go elsewhere
We know that he ran off Gilyard, McGhee and Wade so possibly others as well. Generally you wouldn't quit a job unless you already had a better one in your pocket. If he has better ones then show us instead of making us agonize over this almost daily Exodus.

We know that he ran off Gilyard, McGhee and Wade so possibly others as well. Generally you wouldn't quit a job unless you already had a better one in your pocket. If he has better ones then show us instead of making us agonize over this almost daily Exodus.
UTEP fans when Senter, Dimel and CRT got hired vs reality....(Pre Corona virus)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT