ADVERTISEMENT

David Palacio and the 66 Team

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
As posted on Ray Sanchez' Facebook page...

Headline: The story behind the 1966 Miners’ maverick

People keep asking why David Palacio doesn’t attend any of the events celebrating Texas Western College’s 1966 NCAA basketball championship. After all, Palacio was an integral part of the team and helped win what coach Don Haskins once called “the greatest game in which he had been involved.” El Pasoans who were at that particular game or watched it on television called it simply the greatest comeback they had ever seen.
Exaggeration? Maybe. But the Miners’ 67-64 overtime victory over University of New Mexico in 1966 certainly ranks as the greatest comeback in the school’s history considering the importance of it.

HERE’S HOW the game was described in the book, “Basketball’s Biggest Upset:”
“… The Miners started out colder than a refrigerator in a meat packing plant … They missed jump shots, layups and free throws, partly because of New Mexico’s Mel Daniels, who seemed to be intimidating them … The Miners wound up the first half with a miserable 29 percent field goal shooting percentage and trailing by 16 points.
“… Things didn’t start out much better in the second half. The Miners continued cold and the Lobos led by as much as 20 points twice, the last time with 14 minutes, three seconds remaining in the game.”

PALACIO WAS only a sophomore at the time, but Haskins decided to put him in the game at that point. The book describes what happened:
“…Palacio and Hill put on one of the most amazing defensive shows of the season. Palacio quickly stole a ball and went in for a layup. Then Hill stole a ball and went in for a layup. Then Palacio stole a ball, and another. Then Hill stole a couple more.
“The Lobos went into shock and the Miners rallied to win the game.”
Palacio, 6 feet 2, scored only two points in the game but helped to completely change the momentum of the game.
He became a starter the following season (1967) and was a big factor in the Miners’ 22-8 season. He didn’t play his senior year but finished his schooling.

FINE, BUT why did Palacio stop attending celebrations of the championship team? When I interviewed him, he made no bones about not liking Haskins’ intimidating style of coaching. But heck, none of the other players liked Haskins’ style either – at least not until he had made them champions.
No, there had to be another reason, so when Moe Iba, Haskins’ assistant coach during the championship season, came to the 50th celebration of the ’66 Miners’ victory this month, I pointedly asked him if there was another reason.
He said yes, and that it had to do with Tony Harper.

ACCORDING TO Iba, Palacio and Harper had become close friends while participating in sports at Austin High School. Harper could have been on the championship Texas Western College basketball team in 1966 but opted to play baseball. He did join the team in 1967 and lettered two years.
Moe Iba says Palacio thought Harper should be invited to the festivities following the Miners’ 1966 championship and asked it be so.
It didn’t happen. Palacio allegedly decided that if Harper wouldn’t be invited, he wouldn’t attend either.
It was, according to Iba, a matter of friendship and Palacio to this day has held to his vow.

TONY HARPER went on to become one of the most successful high school basketball coaches not only in El Paso, but all of Texas, while Palacio, after graduating from UTEP in 1968 with a business degree, moved to Los Angeles. He worked in the music industry for 36 years before retiring in 2008 as executive vice president for Univision Music Group.
Both Palacio and Harper have had little to say about the incident.
Palacio has missed out on a lot of fun by being a maverick, but no one can question his commitment to friendship.

Veteran sports journalist, historian and author Ray Sanchez welcomes suggestions for his column. Contact him at (915) 584-0626, by email at rayf358@yahoo.com or online at raysanchezbooks.com.

A couple of additions to the above. First of all, it wasn't that Tony Harper "could have been" on the '66 team... He WAS on the team for the first half of the year before quitting to play baseball. So it's a little weird that he's not included in these celebrations given that he did play in actual games for the championship team, not to mention that he went on to become a basketball coaching legend.

I have also heard that Palacio is a little resentful of all the focus being on the African American players; he apparently thinks the other guys on the team haven't gotten enough credit over the years.

Thank you for the clarity on the situation. I was there in the SEC for the 20-year reunion in 1986, when all the players (except Palacio) and coaches were honored with rings and Haskins with his orange blazer. I, like many, wish the relationship hadn't remained strained after 50 years.
However, I still do not see where UTEP/Texas Western has any blame. Harper made his decision to forgo playing basketball for Haskins (quite possibly due to his coaching methods), and chose baseball instead. He wasn't a member of the 1965-66 team to win it all. As far as I know, he wasn't at Cole Field House on March 19, 1966. He certainly isn't in the famous black and white photo of the team posing with the trophy on the steps of Memorial Gym. He didn't put in all the hard work as did Palacio and his teammates. So, why should UTEP have included him in the festivities? I fully understand strong bonds between life-long friends, but it appears Palacio "cut his own nose off to spite his face".

Harper didn't forego playing basketball due to Haskins' coaching methods. As a matter of fact, Harper played for Haskins in '67 and '68. There was another player who also began the '65 - '66 team, Luis Baudoin, but did not finish the year with the team. My take is that if you contributed for part of that year then you should be honored.

Harper didn't forego playing basketball due to Haskins' coaching methods. As a matter of fact, Harper played for Haskins in '67 and '68. There was another player who also began the '65 - '66 team, Luis Baudoin, but did not finish the year with the team. My take is that if you contributed for part of that year then you should be honored.

I believe you're incorrect. Baudoin did finish the championship season (unlike Harper) with the team. This photo, taken moments after their win over UK, clearly shows Louis Baudoin (taller person in glasses) celebrating amongst his teammates. He was certainly there 03/19/66.

1966_24.jpg

Reactions: CoSpgsMinerfan
Disagree- unless it was some kind of extenuating reason, like a serious health issue or something- gotta be in it for the long haul (all season long) to get credit/recognition for it!

You have to be there to the end, plain and simple. If a baseball player gets traded at the deadline and his old team wins the World Series, he doesn't get to call himself a world champion. If this is the reason why Palacio isn't there, this is a stupid reason.

Reactions: JeepJackson22
So, allow me to do some wishful thinking. If this years team won the CUSA tournament and went on to win the NCAA championship, would Wilms, McSwiggan, and the other walk-owns not be part of the championship team?

Being on the team and not playing are one thing. Not being on the team all together is another. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Being on the team and not playing are one thing. Not being on the team all together is another. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?
Believe me, I agree with you. However, note Juden Smith Fan's post that Harper actually played in games before quitting to play baseball. It seems that he played in several games and was still not recognized, yet it looks like Wilms played in less games and McSwiggan didn't play at all, and they would. Bottom line, they are on the team, along with the walk-ones,and on the bench during games.

This sounds to me like stock. If I have 100 shares and I sell them (or quit) at $500 each in November I can't complain and reap the benefits as if I had sold them in March when the price rose to $700 each.

Seems simple enough to me.

You have to be there to the end, plain and simple. If a baseball player gets traded at the deadline and his old team wins the World Series, he doesn't get to call himself a world champion. If this is the reason why Palacio isn't there, this is a stupid reason.

Yup. Does Tony Dungee deserve a Super Bowl ring from Tampa's 2002 Super Bowl win? He did create that team that "Chucky" won it with; but no, he wasn't there for the finish.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
As posted on Ray Sanchez' Facebook page...

Headline: The story behind the 1966 Miners’ maverick

People keep asking why David Palacio doesn’t attend any of the events celebrating Texas Western College’s 1966 NCAA basketball championship. After all, Palacio was an integral part of the team and helped win what coach Don Haskins once called “the greatest game in which he had been involved.” El Pasoans who were at that particular game or watched it on television called it simply the greatest comeback they had ever seen.
Exaggeration? Maybe. But the Miners’ 67-64 overtime victory over University of New Mexico in 1966 certainly ranks as the greatest comeback in the school’s history considering the importance of it.

HERE’S HOW the game was described in the book, “Basketball’s Biggest Upset:”
“… The Miners started out colder than a refrigerator in a meat packing plant … They missed jump shots, layups and free throws, partly because of New Mexico’s Mel Daniels, who seemed to be intimidating them … The Miners wound up the first half with a miserable 29 percent field goal shooting percentage and trailing by 16 points.
“… Things didn’t start out much better in the second half. The Miners continued cold and the Lobos led by as much as 20 points twice, the last time with 14 minutes, three seconds remaining in the game.”

PALACIO WAS only a sophomore at the time, but Haskins decided to put him in the game at that point. The book describes what happened:
“…Palacio and Hill put on one of the most amazing defensive shows of the season. Palacio quickly stole a ball and went in for a layup. Then Hill stole a ball and went in for a layup. Then Palacio stole a ball, and another. Then Hill stole a couple more.
“The Lobos went into shock and the Miners rallied to win the game.”
Palacio, 6 feet 2, scored only two points in the game but helped to completely change the momentum of the game.
He became a starter the following season (1967) and was a big factor in the Miners’ 22-8 season. He didn’t play his senior year but finished his schooling.

FINE, BUT why did Palacio stop attending celebrations of the championship team? When I interviewed him, he made no bones about not liking Haskins’ intimidating style of coaching. But heck, none of the other players liked Haskins’ style either – at least not until he had made them champions.
No, there had to be another reason, so when Moe Iba, Haskins’ assistant coach during the championship season, came to the 50th celebration of the ’66 Miners’ victory this month, I pointedly asked him if there was another reason.
He said yes, and that it had to do with Tony Harper.

ACCORDING TO Iba, Palacio and Harper had become close friends while participating in sports at Austin High School. Harper could have been on the championship Texas Western College basketball team in 1966 but opted to play baseball. He did join the team in 1967 and lettered two years.
Moe Iba says Palacio thought Harper should be invited to the festivities following the Miners’ 1966 championship and asked it be so.
It didn’t happen. Palacio allegedly decided that if Harper wouldn’t be invited, he wouldn’t attend either.
It was, according to Iba, a matter of friendship and Palacio to this day has held to his vow.

TONY HARPER went on to become one of the most successful high school basketball coaches not only in El Paso, but all of Texas, while Palacio, after graduating from UTEP in 1968 with a business degree, moved to Los Angeles. He worked in the music industry for 36 years before retiring in 2008 as executive vice president for Univision Music Group.
Both Palacio and Harper have had little to say about the incident.
Palacio has missed out on a lot of fun by being a maverick, but no one can question his commitment to friendship.

Veteran sports journalist, historian and author Ray Sanchez welcomes suggestions for his column. Contact him at (915) 584-0626, by email at rayf358@yahoo.com or online at raysanchezbooks.com.
Thanks for posting this information. I knew there had been a "falling out" between Palacios and others with the '66 team, but I did not know the story about Tony Harper. Palacios has been quoted in the past regarding his dissatisfaction with how the non-black players were portrayed in the "Glory Road" film but I never knew the role that Harper had played on the team. Interesting, but kind of sad.

Talk about bad timing. It was a massive mistake to quit that legendary team.

BTW, Ray Sanchez is still scooping the local media at his age.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT