ADVERTISEMENT

Departures

UTEPfan1966

MI VIP
Apr 26, 2016
After yesterday's game, I have rethought my ideas. I initially thought Kobe was a sure to be gone thing but I wonder now. I really believe Eze will be gone as my lock. I now think Gilyard might be leaving out the door. His recent disciplinary benching and now not starting just may sit well with this young man. Kobe carries himself very well, but he too could be gone.

I think we need to free up one space for sure, but multiple departures is more likely. I don't see Terry backing away from grabbing a potential player that he sees.

I also think gilyard will be leaving after the year. My 2 choices to leave are him and Kobe. CRT looks like he likes size in his guards and neither of them have that, also they're Floyd recruits and not his. My 3rd choice to leave would be eze or one of the incoming freshman, wetzel or zarzuela. I wouldnt mind losing the guards with the talent we have coming in, but hope eze stays

who cares if evan isn't his recruit. I don't understand that logic. Why would you run off a really good player just because you didn't find him first? Makes no sense...
I don't think it's so much running a guy off, it's more of a clash of styles. Clashing in terms of personality and playing styles as well. That being said, I hope Gilyard stays as well.

Where is all this "Gilyard is leaving" nonsense coming from? He is our leading scorer, and he played 30 minutes yesterday despite having to miss part of the game with an injury. And the man is such a warrior that he found his way back into the game.

If he was being "punished" by not starting yesterday, it was merely symbolic, because he still got his minutes and it was apparent just how much the Miners missed him when he left with the injury. Terry is using him in a way that doesn't suggest to me that he's running him off.

I don't think it's so much running a guy off, it's more of a clash of styles. Clashing in terms of personality and playing styles as well. That being said, I hope Gilyard stays as well.

What clash in styles? The clash in styles that lets Gilyard be our leading scorer? Terry is letting him play, not holding him back. Where are you guys getting this crap from?

I wonder what would have been of Barbee’s time at UTEP if he had run off DJ because it wasn’t his recruit.

Magee is a fairly good player but will likely leave because of lack of minutes. Gilyard is the better of the two. He's getting plenty of floor time. Someone may earn the starting spot over him, which I'm sure is what Coach Terry would like to see, but that's what'll have to happen to run off Gilyard. Dekoninck hasn't gotten much floor time this season, he may leave, too. Ezeagu has enough potential that they'll keep him around to see how good he becomes. If he leaves, I'd say it won't be till after next season.

I think Eze has the potential of
Magee is a fairly good player but will likely leave because of lack of minutes. Gilyard is the better of the two. He's getting plenty of floor time. Someone may earn the starting spot over him, which I'm sure is what Coach Terry would like to see, but that's what'll have to happen to run off Gilyard. Dekoninck hasn't gotten much floor time this season, he may leave, too. Ezeagu has enough potential that they'll keep him around to see how good he becomes. If he leaves, I'd say it won't be till after next season.
Dekoninck and Campbell are walkons and do not count against the 13 scholarship allotment. We are currently two over for next year. I think that Gilyard will be back next year, unless he decides it is time to move on. Guard play is key to success, and Gilyard brings experience, and some skills that are super valuable. Offensively, he is one of the teams' best at penetrating the lane, and that includes the guys sitting out. Keeping him is a key moving forward.

Reactions: miner1liner
You guys have become numb during the Tim Floyd era. It's almost like you're thinking this is a pro franchise and not college athletics. I am hoping the changes are more organic and that Coach Terry is actually interested in developing players and building a program.

Dekoninck, is a walk on so what does that matter? With that said Gilyard deserves to be a part of the turnaround.

Gilyard has improved in almost every statistical category aside from free throw percentage. His scoring is up. His fg percentage from both 2 and 3 is up. His rebounds are up...

He may have to share time next year, but he belongs on the court with this team.

Last edited:
Where is all this "Gilyard is leaving" nonsense coming from? He is our leading scorer, and he played 30 minutes yesterday despite having to miss part of the game with an injury. And the man is such a warrior that he found his way back into the game.

If he was being "punished" by not starting yesterday, it was merely symbolic, because he still got his minutes and it was apparent just how much the Miners missed him when he left with the injury. Terry is using him in a way that doesn't suggest to me that he's running him off.

What clash in styles? The clash in styles that lets Gilyard be our leading scorer? Terry is letting him play, not holding him back. Where are you guys getting this crap from?
You're being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. I never said he was. I said I hoped he would stay.

I said if there was tension (which none of us know if there is), it's not because Gilyard isn't "Terry's Guy". I stated that any coach would be silly to "run out" a guy simply because he didn't recruit him first.

IF (keyword IF) Gilyard leaves it's just because Gilyard and Terry like different things in terms of point guard play. Not because Terry wanted all Floyd recruits out no matter what.

Last edited:
You're being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. I never said he was. I said I hoped he would stay.

I said if there was tension (which none of us know if there is), it's not because Gilyard isn't "Terry's Guy". I stated that any coach would be silly to "run out" a guy simply because he didn't recruit him first.

IF (keyword IF) Gilyard leaves it's just because Gilyard and Terry like different things in terms of point guard play. Not because Gilyard wanted all Floyd recruits out no matter what.
There's no evidence for this tension, so why are we even talking about it?

Point of caution about cycling players. One of Floyds downfalls was his constant reshuffling of the team, players who appear to have potential leave without ever having invested into the school or program. Not good from a fan standpoint or for building a better term year by year standpoint. I understand the upgrade bit, but just too have talent on a team doesn't always mean good team. You need role players, experience and development a mix. If you are in constant reshuffle mode these all suffer. There is also the mentality issue as well, you can't have a team full of players who feel they deserve to start because they feel they are talented above everyone else. There is a toughness and attitude of a kid who has earned it. Who sat the bench for a couple years behind a more talented players, worked on his game and is not playing for the NBA one day, but playing for the coach, the team, the school. A team with a few of these cats is always more fun to watch IMO than super talented team. If I want to watch that kind of ball, I will watch a NBA game.

I think people forget that CRT had to recruit EG3 back to UTEP. It was no guarantee he was coming back.

Rodney obviously saw what anybody would see after watching tape-- That even as a fr, evan took control during games when we'd start to fall apart. You can't teach that kind of mental toughness, and it's an invaluable asset to have on a team. CRT would be a fool to run him off...

Wow, this took a different direction than I thought. I was giving my opinions on who I thought would leave after this year, based solely on my observations. I like Gilyard. Of course I want him to stay. BUT I can see him choosing to leave. Yep, I can be dead ass wrong. Eze is a project, whom I really like< but I also can understand him being gone. I love Kobe, but lack of minutes could possibly send him elsewhere.
The plain fact is SOMEONE will either have to leave, pay their own way, or go on academic scholarship. We will be over the limit.
In addition, next year we will have one senior again, and he's a walkon.
Do you think Terry will stop recruiting for a few years? Of course not. So who will leave then?

The comment that Terry is trying to grow the team organically is to be hoped for. It'll be great if he does. Haskins was good at coaching up players to a higher level. Floyd seemed to try to recruit the team to a higher level. We all know who was the better coach in the long run. You recruit what you want but coach what you've got. If Terry can recruit the players he wants and then coach them to a higher level, He's going to be very successful. Let's hope it's here at UTEP for many years. As far as being over the scholarship limit, if Terry has players that want to stay anyway, that's a wonderful problem to have. Floyd overrecruited because he knew he was going to piss someone off and they would leave on bad terms. Terry is overrecruiting because these guys actually want to play for him. Great problem to have.

Last edited:
Wow, this took a different direction than I thought. I was giving my opinions on who I thought would leave after this year, based solely on my observations. I like Gilyard. Of course I want him to stay. BUT I can see him choosing to leave. Yep, I can be dead ass wrong. Eze is a project, whom I really like< but I also can understand him being gone. I love Kobe, but lack of minutes could possibly send him elsewhere.
The plain fact is SOMEONE will either have to leave, pay their own way, or go on academic scholarship. We will be over the limit.
In addition, next year we will have one senior again, and he's a walkon.
Do you think Terry will stop recruiting for a few years? Of course not. So who will leave then?
But why on Earth, would u say the best player and most experienced player on this team might be the one to leave?

There's no evidence for this tension, so why are we even talking about it?
I wrote there's no evidence of it. The only point I'm making, separate from everything else, divorced from all other points, is Terry isn't some petty idiot who would throw Gilyard out just because he didn't recruit him first. That's all, full stop.

I hope Gilyard stays. I think Gilyard is good. I think Terry is a good coach....let's see, how my words get twisted this time.

I wrote there's no evidence of it. The only point I'm making, separate from everything else, divorced from all other points, is Terry isn't some petty idiot who would throw Gilyard out just because he didn't recruit him first. That's all, full stop.

I hope Gilyard stays. I think Gilyard is good. I think Terry is a good coach....let's see, how my words get twisted this time.
Wow, dude, now you're saying Gilyard is causing Terry's divorce. That's some crazy stuff that you have no evidence for.

Just predicting the reply.

Gilyard said that McGee and Eze are going to arm wrestle for one of the last spots..o_O

McGee is the 1st one gone IMO. There will be NO playing time for him. I like Eze and Gilyard too, but somebody else will be leaving or playing as walk on. It might be one of the freshman recruits. Either way, I see at least 2 red shirts next year

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Gilyard said that McGee and Eze are going to arm wrestle for one of the last spots..o_O

McGee is the 1st one gone IMO. There will be NO playing time for him. I like Eze and Gilyard too, but somebody else will be leaving or playing as walk on. It might be one of the freshman recruits. Either way, I see at least 2 red shirts next year
I doubt Terry would pull the scholarship offer from one of the freshman recruits as that would justifiably result in negative recruiting, and by all accounts they are solid players. I think all the transfers, plus Stroud, will be on scholarship next year. If those assumptions are correct, it really narrows down who will need to move on. The wild card may be Stroud qualifying, but Terry did mention he was doing well in school.

Last edited:
I have my fingers crossed that Stroud qualifies. He's an electric player imo, and also a very good friend of Jalen Greene, if we have even the slimmest of chances of landing him. I don't believe Terry is running anyone out but the truth is we're over scholarships, which means he sees players either leaving, or better than some of the players he already has. The Archie signing has brought a lot of questions to next year's team. I wish they could all stay, but the sad reality is that we're losing 2-3 players next year for some of the talent Terry is bringing in. Anyone know what gilyards discipline is about?

Reactions: axingfools1
I feel that with all the talent available next season Terry will make his decision based on who can provide perimeter scoring. From the videos I've seen Boum, Zarzuela and to a lesser degree Wentzel and Stroud are the candidates. Gilyard by far is the one this year. Hawkins and Lathon have struggled. The other newcomers appear to be primarily drive and slam candidates which is great, but we really need an outside game to be a complete team.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I hope no one departs from this years team and I don't really know if any one recruit is an upgrade from what we have, I just don't buy the trading up method to recruiting. I feel that way because Floyd burned down the house one year to the next and as a fan I now have an instilled fear of the revolving door approach to building a team. I hope Terry is just stockpiling for the future and I don't see him playing any true freshman he recruits right away. This year he had no choice.

I hope no one departs from this years team and I don't really know if any one recruit is an upgrade from what we have, I just don't buy the trading up method to recruiting. I feel that way because Floyd burned down the house one year to the next and as a fan I now have an instilled fear of the revolving door approach to building a team. I hope Terry is just stockpiling for the future and I don't see him playing any true freshman he recruits right away. This year he had no choice.
I agree IDK why some people are are assuming the incoming freshman are better than what we have now. The transfers obviously we're brought in to play right away, but I wouldn't be surprised if multiple freshman don't end up redshirted.

Reactions: axingfools1
I agree IDK why some people are are assuming the incoming freshman are better than what we have now. The transfers obviously we're brought in to play right away, but I wouldn't be surprised if multiple freshman don't end up redshirted.
Doesn't matter if they redshirt they will still count against the 13 scholarships.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Doesn't matter if they redshirt they will still count against the 13 scholarships.
Lol, Thanks Captain Obvious! I know that, my point is people on here are posting that these guys will come in here and run off starters like Gilyard. That won't happen. Maybe Eze maybe Magee, but it's not likelike Williams isn't coming in Relax!!! The Freshman aren't anything to write home about at least right now. They're just ok recruits. With the exception of maybe Williams and Tarke, even the other transfers coming next year have no guarantees.

So what happens if all these players come in and we don’t finish in the top 5 of cusa next year —- will you all Be calling for coaches head?

So what happens if all these players come in and we don’t finish in the top 5 of cusa next year —- will you all Be calling for coaches head?

Under your scenario, no, not yet. I'm generally a cautious person, and believe that year two would be too early to fire a coach. Plus, all those players, who are very talented on paper, would be returning for the following season. I would want to give them another opportunity rather than blowing up the team. Terry's leash, however, would be much shorter in my mind.

The above being said, I don't believe that your scenario will happen. I fully expect that we will be in the conference title race next season.

Under your scenario, no, not yet. I'm generally a cautious person, and believe that year two would be too early to fire a coach. Plus, all those players, who are very talented on paper, would be returning for the following season. I would want to give them another opportunity rather than blowing up the team. Terry's leash, however, would be much shorter in my mind.

The above being said, I don't believe that your scenario will happen. I fully expect that we will be in the conference title race next season.
I know I must be a broken record, but it's mind boggling to imagine who the starters might be. I think you could at this point argue on behalf of as many as ten different players. Some of this year's guys are certainly not locks to start next season in fact I think Efe is the most likely. Any opinions?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT