ADVERTISEMENT

Don't like how we ended things

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I was hoping we could a kept a streak going into the tourney, but instead we take two losses and a bad win into things. We shot lights out, but a 7 point win to the worst team in conference is not impressive. Anyway I guess we get a decent draw and get to avoid UAB, let's hope we get the fire back from the 6 game winning streak, now we need a 4 game winning streak and we can beat n e team in conference and also lose to any team, so we'll see?!

Last edited:
I know TF found a way (through convincing by Coach Johnson) to play more to student strengths. But I am concerned for the future. Given our "great" staff, our recruits have been sub-par for years! Our talent is really weak and I am worried with how weak our recruiting is in such a terrible conference. I'm glad we are not in the NMSU conference debacle but that is a really low bar. We better win the tournament...please!

First, congrats to UTEP for finishing first in attendance. Second, UTEP needs to shoot above 45%, stay above 70% in FT and win rebound edge to even have a chance to win the tourney IMO.

Despite only winning by 7 yesterday, the outcome of the game was never in question as far as I was concerned. Even when we were down most of the first half. Once the Miners got into a rhythm offensively, UTSA had no chance. Bowie is the ONLY reason it was as close as it was. He couldn't miss. Hats off to that guy. If anything the UTSA game shook some of the rust off that had collected for the last few games. We have a tough road ahead, and the odds are against us, but if the Miners take this one game at a time, they have a chance.

Gotta get Diaz into foul trouble early somehow. He is the only one who can put a nail in our coffin imo. I'm hoping Floyd uses all his big men, a little at a time, to wear Diaz down and put some hard fouls on the guy. Tough road ahead of us. Go Miners!!!

Reactions: e-rick
Despite only winning by 7 yesterday, the outcome of the game was never in question as far as I was concerned. Even when we were down most of the first half. Once the Miners got into a rhythm offensively, UTSA had no chance. Bowie is the ONLY reason it was as close as it was. He couldn't miss. Hats off to that guy. If anything the UTSA game shook some of the rust off that had collected for the last few games. We have a tough road ahead, and the odds are against us, but if the Miners take this one game at a time, they have a chance.

Gotta get Diaz into foul trouble early somehow. He is the only one who can put a nail in our coffin imo. I'm hoping Floyd uses all his big men, a little at a time, to wear Diaz down and put some hard fouls on the guy. Tough road ahead of us. Go Miners!!!
Only winning by seven against a lousy UTSA is not good, but UAB only winning by three against equally bad FAU is pretty stinky also. Performance levels are sometimes a result of, "what's at stake ".

Only winning by seven against a lousy UTSA is not good, but UAB only winning by three against equally bad FAU is pretty stinky also. Performance levels are sometimes a result of, "what's at stake ".

It's simple. It took a whole half to get started and we sucked from the line. Otherwise we're talking about a 15 point game. There are gonna be games like this. It was well in hand despite the narrow margin of victory. Now...I'm not saying they can get away with that game in and game out, but as far as the UTSA game goes, the game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicates.

ODU was the only team that really handled us this year, every other team we had a chance to win, so it can be done! Marshall scares me only, because even if we beat them they may tire the team out for whoever they face in the semis. I'm hoping they win it of course, but realistically I see us making it to the semis and finishing 20-14, I'd prefer to be proven wrong though.

The only important question is ,"did you Win"!!! o_O There is no moral victory in losing but only by 1, nor in winning by 30! Scores are not part of the won/loss record! I've won golf and tennis tournaments! won bicycling races! been on district winning football teams! hit the winning home run or made the play to end the game! made the game saving tackle or winning run for a td! Played semi-pro football in lake Tahoe and we won our conference! I was the starting running back and outside linebacker! I only cared about winning and not losing!!! Margins are for the bookies and the fans who wanted to be, but couldn't or didn't!!! I never talked down nor humiliated an opponent!!! I respected them and in return was respected! Most try their very best and that's all that matters! and even the less talented teams/athletes that keep coming at you can overcome you! No one is unbeatable!!! And if a person or team was fortunate to be unbeaten, i'll bet they didn"t cover the spread or even blow it away every game! :eek:;)

i might as well tell this story! 1977 or 78, my housemate played rugby with Doug Parks, Brad Longnecker (WAC All-Tight for Miners, may he rest in peace), Manny Frias, Tom Norris, and a host of good guys/ beer drinkers. An undeafeated all-star team from Portsmouth, England came to El Paso just having beaten the best rugby teams from Dallas to Denver and beyond! Of course, the El Paso team was a huge underdog! The game was played at the Bowie High School football field. As tough a game as I have ever witnessed or played in (I did not play Rugby), Fierce but beautifully played! True sportsmanship displayed throughout the game from both sides!!! Longnecker made the game saving tackle at the goal line to stop their scrumhalf from scoring! Best tackle I have ever seen!!! Scrumhalf (looked like a modern day fullback with speed) breaks free down the right side (south sideline) with no one between him and the goal line! Brad comes out of nowhere, running almost parallel to the goal line! About 4 or 5 feet from the runner he literally launches himself at him, seemingly flying like a missile! Brad hits him so hard that the runner was sent flying while doing a 180 and lands 2 yards from the goal line, Game over, underdog beats heavy favorite! Lots of cuts, bruises, and blood! After the game all shook hands, hugged, and complimented each other. Needles to say lots of beer drinking went on afterwards with not a single incident between the 2 sides! The Portsmouth team was talented and highly technically skilled. But the reason our side beat them was purely based on Will and Athleticism!

The only important question is ,"did you Win"!!! o_O There is no moral victory in losing but only by 1, nor in winning by 30! Scores are not part of the won/loss record! I've won golf and tennis tournaments! won bicycling races! been on district winning football teams! hit the winning home run or made the play to end the game! made the game saving tackle or winning run for a td! Played semi-pro football in lake Tahoe and we won our conference! I was the starting running back and outside linebacker! I only cared about winning and not losing!!! Margins are for the bookies and the fans who wanted to be, but couldn't or didn't!!! I never talked down nor humiliated an opponent!!! I respected them and in return was respected! Most try their very best and that's all that matters! and even the less talented teams/athletes that keep coming at you can overcome you! No one is unbeatable!!! And if a person or team was fortunate to be unbeaten, i'll bet they didn"t cover the spread or even blow it away every game! :eek:;)
You apparently missed the point, but thanks for explaining in detail your thoughts!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT