ADVERTISEMENT

Don't worry

I don't even want to imagine what a good ACC team would have done to us.
I though Floyd's specialty is defense??? Today is the first time wake has scored at least 100 points in a game since the 2008 season.

Reactions: UTEP05
Anyone who thinks we can hang with ANY team in the top 150 is dreaming. This team's defense is atrocious, and the offense ain't pretty either.

I'm sure vegasminer can explain why my statements are overreactive trolling, though. ..
You are absolutely correct about the defense, but dead wrong on the offense. Take a look at the stats and explain yourself. Shot 53% from the field and 73.7% from the line and scored 81 points which would win most games. Sometimes "negative Nancy's" dig and dig to find something to complain about and don't quit when they're ahead.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Next years recruiting class does look good though. I like that PG from Chicago.

They always look good. I was real excited for Floyd's first 4 recruiting classes, but those classes never materialized the way I had hoped. I don't expect any different from this year's class.

Even if (and that's a BIG if) they do all manage to show, we're still 2 or 3 years away from realizing that potential. Maybe Floyd will surprise us all with his 10 year rebuilding plan. ..

The issue is we play defense as if it's 1986. Johnson said that Jones, Thomas, and Willms aren't comfortable guarding the perimeter and they had some tall guys that can shoot. Have the coaches not watched a basketball game in the last 10 years?

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPDefense
You are absolutely correct about the defense, but dead wrong on the offense. Take a look at the stats and explain yourself. Shot 53% from the field and 73.7% from the line and scored 81 points which would win most games. Sometimes "negative Nancy's" dig and dig to find something to complain about and don't quit when they're ahead.

Scoring 81pts is easy to do when the opposing team takes a mere 12sec to light you up every possession. More possessions = more opportunities to score.

Wake was pretty hot today, but the defense definitely helped. It looks like a lot like the end of las year Utep will have to try and outscore people to win. It's early so not pushing the panic button just yet. I do t expect much from.this tram anyways, but Willms was encouraging. The Big men for Utep can't get into foul trouble like they did today or it will be a long year

I'm sorry to say this, but anyone who thought we were ready to hang with an ACC team was dreaming.

I had no expectations of winning. I had hopes of staying within 12-15. It's the fashion in which UTEP continues to play that I'm disappointed in. I can certainly understand USAF's frustration.

Reactions: miner661
I don't even want to imagine what a good ACC team would have done to us.
I though Floyd's specialty is defense??? Today is the first time wake has scored at least 100 points in a game since the 2008 season.

WF will prove to be much improved over last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see them finish middle of the pack in the ACC. Not a great team but pretty good, imo.

We suck period. Foyd/Stull have let this program sink so far that it cannott be brought back to a standard that is top 50 for at least 3 to 4 years. After all this time that is his product. I don't trust that he can or will get us back to respectability. What I see is 3 years from now it's the same or worst and he gets retired and all of us fans bear the brunt of it. I will not show up just to show up I'm done with that.

This is not his first or even second year but to watch his teams here a UTEP you would think you were watching a team where the coach was brought in 3 months before the season started.
And Danny Manning could have scored a 130 but he called off the three point shooting in the second half and treated it more like practice. Disgusting

They always look good. I was real excited for Floyd's first 4 recruiting classes, but those classes never materialized the way I had hoped. I don't expect any different from this year's class.

Even if (and that's a BIG if) they do all manage to show, we're still 2 or 3 years away from realizing that potential. Maybe Floyd will surprise us all with his 10 year rebuilding plan. ..

I think we are on the "10 year plan." Kermit Davis one of his apprentices took him 10 years at MTSU before winning his first post season game there. After patiently waiting a decade MTSU is starting to reap the rewards. In the last five season MTSU has won two NIT games made 2 NCAA appearances winning one of those games. They have also finished as regular season conference champions three times and have averaged almost 25 wins per season.

Be patient my friends three more years...

Well, Corona, I don't think this admin will fire CTF so all we can do is HOPE that the MTSU situation happens to us.

Still, knowing how far we are from being able to reach that hypothetical level is frustrating.

Reactions: UTEP05 and JCorona
This is a good WF team. Manning can flat out coach.

Get used to hearing every pregame show and his radio show "We lost Hunter, we lost Moore, Wilms can only give us so many minutes, blah, blah, blah". He did it again his last radio show and did it this morning (the interview is pre-recorded), and does it so much it should be a drinking game.

UTEP doesn't have the horses to play with upper echelon of D1 basketball team, but the good news is CUSA sucks rocks this year, and I mean worse than other years. LT looks the strongest again but nothing like the past two years. The prototype hybrid linebacker/point guard from MTSU, Potts is his name I think, is gone. Rice lost to Texas Southern and doesn't look as competitive as the last two years. UAB lost to Furman and is rebuilding but Marshall does look like a strong team.

This league sucks and is wide open this year to take that coveted one bid. So UTEP perhaps has a slim, but realistic chance?

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
This is a good WF team. Manning can flat out coach.

Get used to hearing every pregame show and his radio show "We lost Hunter, we lost Moore, Wilms can only give us so many minutes, blah, blah, blah". He did it again his last radio show and did it this morning (the interview is pre-recorded), and does it so much it should be a drinking game.

UTEP doesn't have the horses to play with upper echelon of D1 basketball team, but the good news is CUSA sucks rocks this year, and I mean worse than other years. LT looks the strongest again but nothing like the past two years. The prototype hybrid linebacker/point guard from MTSU, Potts is his name I think, is gone. Rice lost to Texas Southern and doesn't look as competitive as the last two years. UAB lost to Furman and is rebuilding but Marhall does look like a strong team.

This league sucks and is wide open this year to take that coveted one bid. So UTEP perhaps has a slim, but realistic chance?

No

I think we are on the "10 year plan." Kermit Davis one of his apprentices took him 10 years at MTSU before winning his first post season game there. After patiently waiting a decade MTSU is starting to reap the rewards. In the last five season MTSU has won two NIT games made 2 NCAA appearances winning one of those games. They have also finished as regular season conference champions three times and have averaged almost 25 wins per season.

Be patient my friends three more years...
I wish we were on a 10 year plan because one, we'd almost be done with it, and two, it would imply that we actually had a plan other than let's run a recruit off after one year because we have an even better recruit coming in.

Reactions: miner661 and UTEP05
The last good teams with Barbie and Gillispe/Sadler were laden with upper classmen. I really hope they can keep these kids around to watch them grow and so we're not constantly having to fill holes and hope the team can come around come conference play.

The last good teams with Barbie and Gillispe/Sadler were laden with upper classmen. I really hope they can keep these kids around to watch them grow and so we're not constantly having to fill holes and hope the team can come around come conference play.

The problem is that very few players have grown under Floyd.

WF shot lights out and UTEP does not play defense at the perimeter. The defense or lack thereof, is on the coach. The idea that we play in a horrible league is a bit off. The bottom of the league is bad, no two ways about it. But the top is pretty good with UAB, MT, LT, WKU, ODU, Marshall and Rice will likely be good by conference play. The last 2 years the C-USA champ has received a bad seed and still knocked off ranked teams in the ncaa 1st round. If we had to judge UTEP's chances at having a good season by this WF game then of course it would look bad. I think waiting until conference play begins will gives us a much better idea of how bad or good this team will be this year. Will we see improvement in the Western Michigan game or the 2 games vs NMSU or how about the road trip to UNM? If all those games are losses then it's going to be a long, long year.

Don't you guys get tired of playing the same old record. We are all frustrated
but being negative just puts down our recruits and possible new recruits. Can
we give it a break, we all know what's up...

GO Miners...

GO Miners...

Lexapro has helped me a lot...

Since we're oversigned by 5 at the moment, getting recruits apparently isn't the issue. Seeing the same thing over and over again year after year after year is.

Reactions: UTEP05

GO Miners...

I am getting tired of saying the same things every year. Mostly, I'm tired of SEEING the same things every year. It's starting to feel like Groundhog Day around here.

Bill Murray, anyone...?

4 point dogs on a neutral court versus a team picked 5th out of 6 in the MAC West.
Maybe, just maybe, they are not really that bad. They do have 4 starters back and some key reserves too, including a 7 footer. They lost 5 conference games last year by 1 point or in OT. Should be better this year and they did play defending national champ Villanova close yesterday. Sounds like a quality team regardless of the preseason experts.

Maybe, just maybe, they are not really that bad. They do have 4 starters back and some key reserves too, including a 7 footer. They lost 5 conference games last year by 1 point or in OT. Should be better this year and they did play defending national champ Villanova close yesterday. Sounds like a quality team regardless of the preseason experts.

Agree whole heartedly. Just never thought the day would arrive where we are saying that about an irrelevant, for the most part, directional school from Michigan. Sigh...

Why dont we back and recruit some awesome defensive players like the 80s and 90s. We need some hardcore D players who can defend from all angles. I dont care if these guys avg about 10-12 pts a game in high school. As long as they could defend, they would have a chance every night. Just look at what Butler did when Brad Stevens was their coach. Yea maybe we could have a scorer or 2 just to have some respect on offense but please bring back those type of players. Rivera, Prince Stewart, VanDyke, maxey, DDDDDDDDefense!!!!!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
But if you watch any of these videos of recruits, no one plays defense. All of these kids are driving to the lane and looking incredible against what amounts to All Star Game defense. We do need defensive stoppers but they probably need to be developed in college as opposed to be recruited out of high school.

Priding himself on being a defensive minded coach, CTF sure has had some porous Ds the last several years.

Sucks double because he can't coach an offense up to save his life.

Reactions: unihorn
Can't we just wait til the tournament is over, before professing doom n gloom just saying. If Utep goes 2-1 in this tournament, did any of us really expect more? So far they're playing decent against W.Michigan, just gotta stop the dumb turnovers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT