ADVERTISEMENT

Dr Nat go get Les Miles.

Have you seen LSU play? He has the exact same problem as Kugler. His offense is inept he cant develop a qb.

At this point Im ready to sell our souls to the devil and go get Art Briles.

You'd sell your soul for coveting Briles, and still not get him.

Art Briles is seriously damaged goods. I doubt Natalicio would even want his name mentioned within her office walls.

You guys can dream about Briles all you want to but Natalicio would never approve that hiring.

I would rather be 2-10 and have a good person like Kugler than have a guy as craven and hypocritical as Briles. I'm not saying don't fire Kugler, but I would never, ever, want Briles.

Have you seen LSU play? He has the exact same problem as Kugler. His offense is inept he cant develop a qb.

At this point Im ready to sell our souls to the devil and go get Art Briles.

Art wants to get back to coaching and the best time to grab him is when he's hungry. UTEP would be a good landing spot for a character rebuild. He probably won't stay long, but long enough to give the program a good jump start.

Reactions: UTEP05
No way Briles ends up at UTEP.

Probably more no than yes, but it doesn't mean you can't ask!!!!

From the mouth's of the talking heads on that four letter sports network, he's a 50-50 guy at any potential D1. When it comes to Briles an AD is gonna have to ask has enough time has passed for people to overlook his shortcomings (no) - and can we afford not to at least talk to him (no)? If Briles doesn't get any bites from LSU, Louisville (in case Petrino leaves the Cards), or any other school, why shouldn't UTEP approach him? I don't care if other schools are asking him anyway. If I'm truly trying to establish the program and move out of CUSA, I'm going after any and everyone I can. Briles isn't going to command top dollar because he's in rebuild mode. Plus the guy wants to coach; he's a pure Texas dude and his name, in high school coaching circles, still gets his calls answered on the first ring.

Of course this is wishful thinking, but who else you think you're gonna get? Mack Brown? One of the Stoops brother's? Chip Kelly?

Either way, if UTEP lets Kugs go, they are either going to have to go young and hungry or with an established short timer. The middle ground puts them right back where they are now.

$EC might well take him...

Seriously? The SEC one the best, or the best conference in college football allowing Briles? Any of those teams can pick any coach who runs the same offense with the same competitive desire without the baggage. College presidents do not want a head coach who ignores, hides from police and administration, and gets one of his assistants to handle potential wrong doing of alleged criminal complaints. Serious violations that colleges, at any level, will no longer tolerate.

Seriously? The SEC one the best, or the best conference in college football allowing Briles? Any of those teams can pick any coach who runs the same offense with the same competitive desire without the baggage. College presidents do not want a head coach who ignores, hides from police and administration, and gets one of his assistants to handle potential wrong doing of alleged criminal complaints. Serious violations that colleges, at any level, will no longer tolerate.

Very true they don't. But let's not ignore those influential boosters standing in the shadows. We both know every university president, Ivy or athletic powerhouse wants those dollars coming in. We've seen schools, for lack of a better choice of words, put their morals in a box for the sake of winning.

UTEP won't get Miles, either.

I could see Briles going to LSU, or maybe Kentucky.

Miles could go to Kentucky.

Les Miles will get hired by a P5 school and doesn't have to redeem himself at a mid-major school. UTEP's chances of hiring Miles is zero if the job was available.

LSU will more than likely hire Tom Herman from Houston. LSU needs an offense and he will bring a high scoring offense. Houston is kicking ass and they are on the verge of joining the Big 12 because of what they have done in football. Houston can't afford to regress in football with the Big 12 talk, so they need a coach who can come in and keep that football program at the level it is at right now. Money talks in football, so Briles is that guy who can keep that football program at the level it is now. So I see Briles returning to Houston if Herman gets hired away.

There are 9.6 million reasons why we can't hire Les Miles right now. Maybe in 6 years. If we only want to win, Art Briles would be our guy. If we want a program that produces extraordinary gentlemen, he would not.

Les Miles or Art Briles isn't walking through that door. They are not has been coaches, there is still interest from power schools on these two. Price was an old coach who was on the decline. What utep needs is to gamble on a young coordinator who will be content with salary and situation so long as he is a head coach. Win and he leaves in a few years, lose and what's the difference to utep

LSU will more than likely hire Tom Herman from Houston. LSU needs an offense and he will bring a high scoring offense. Houston is kicking ass and they are on the verge of joining the Big 12 because of what they have done in football.

Who knows these days. Herman is a bad fit for LSU in a lot of ways, but that's another thread. Do you realize Miles won 75% of his games and a national championship, and he's getting death threats at LSU? Herman's obviously in the driver's seat right now, his and UH's future are in their own hands depending on how they fare later this season against Louisville. Presuming both teams go undefeated, that game, in Houston, will be for a top 4 playoff berth.

BTW, Herman has a $5 million bonus waiting for him if UH is invited to the Big 12. That's not chump change, plus, his current contract would be revised upward to likely 4.5 million per year plus incentives, which would put him in top 95% of all FBS coaches. He WILL be paid. Now, if someone (Texas, Ohio State) were to offer him inter-gallactic money, that might change the game, but do not necessarily presume he'd jump even at that. Herman has a LOT going for himself and his family right where he is.

P.S. Big 12 is making a circus of this expansion thing, it's not even a done deal that they will do it. Worse yet, Houston does NOT have indefinite staying power to sustain their current pace without P5 money, the difference in about $3 million versus $30 per year. Again, far from chump change...

Reactions: CubsFan81
If Houston was in the Big12, I agree that it would be very difficult to pry Herman from Houston. But the 5 million bonus and the bump up to 4.5 million in salary is based on" IF" Houston is invited to join the Big 12. Herman has no control over that , and it is not a guarantee. LSU can easily give him a 3 or 5 million dollar signing bonus and pay him 4.5 million a season or even more if they really really want him. And he has total control over that by just signing his name on a piece of paper. And it will be guaranteed that he will be coaching in the SEC next season. LSU and the SEC will be very hard to say no to.

But Texas football will be interesting to watch this year. Charlie Strong is far from a safe bet to remain the coach of UT after this season. The victory over Notre Dame isn't as big as it seemed the first week of the season and they lost to Cal. A loss to OU and one or 2 bad losses in the BIG 12 will probably be the end of him. Herman would be a perfect fit at Texas and Texas knows that. UT's window of opportunity to land Herman is getting smaller and smaller after this season because he could go to LSU and the window shuts completely if Houston joins the Big 12 and Herman is still coach. So I wouldn't be surprised if UT fired Strong if he loses to OU and 2 more Big 12 schools and throws huge money at Herman while is is still available. Herman will have UT competing for a national championship in no time.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Hal Mumme called the Brumbelow offices while I was bugging Stull's office. He"s in town for some local charity event. He told some boosters he"s refreshed and ready to go and said his style can win the west division of CUSA but WKU, and Marshall are tough to beat when their playing well.

For F sake, can we drop the Miles Briles talk? Sweet jeezus what happened to going after newer talent with less mileage, a more discrete ego, willing to embrace new offenses and defenses and will shake hands with even fair weather fans?

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
You know who hasn't been brought up as the next potential UTEP head coach.... Sloof Lipra......

You know who hasn't been brought up as the next potential UTEP head coach.... Sloof Lipra......
I thought it was Loof Lirpa but maybe just a relative. UTEP was never able to get him on campus as a player but now that he's coaching, it might work out. I hear his offensive schemes are able to fool a lot of teams.

Our WR coach was a successful OC at Angelo St and I remember when he was hired that maybe he was going to be our new OC. Oh well. Would have been exciting but not in Kugler's thinking process, I guess.

Remember that very cute girl you once went out with? Shoot, you may have even married her. But how would that first date even have happened if you never asked her out?

Do I think UTEP can get Les Miles (no, his price tag is too high), or Art Briles (even with his baggage, his price tag might be too high) probably not, but they can always give you a good recommendation. The point of the exercise is to let your fan base, alums, sponsors, etc., know that you're serious about improving the program.

From my vantage point, until Stull decides he wants to raise the expectation level of the program, he'll continue to look elsewhere for a coach/salary that meets his tightfisted spending plan.

Remember that very cute girl you once went out with? Shoot, you may have even married her. But how would that first date even have happened if you never asked her out?

Do I think UTEP can get Les Miles (no, his price tag is too high), or Art Briles (even with his baggage, his price tag might be too high) probably not, but they can always give you a good recommendation. The point of the exercise is to let your fan base, alums, sponsors, etc., know that you're serious about improving the program.

From my vantage point, until Stull decides he wants to raise the expectation level of the program, he'll continue to look elsewhere for a coach/salary that meets his tightfisted spending plan.

I agree with Wisconsin, let the former Angelo State OC have a crack.

I wanted Bob Stitt before Kugs and would still have him as our first choice. I think he'll bring a style of offense that works with the limited talent that we bring in.

Stitt would be a solid choice. Very innovative when it comes to offense. Lots of success at Colorado Mines and now Montana. But any choice that has actual experience as the head man at some level and successful experience at that. No more position coaches promoted to head man. Even a successful coordinator could work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT