ADVERTISEMENT

El Paso HS Coach Among Highest Paid In Texas

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014

I remember us having a discussion about a coach from one of the EP suburbs (don’t remember which one it was) getting paid six figures and most didn’t believe it. Here’s a bit of proof that El Paso schools can compete with the state elites if they choose to.

Fabens coach gets six figures for sure, there are no other EP coaches seeing this kind of cheddar....

Padilla's pay was not fully football related, he was more of an administrator at Bowie and head football coach. He just took the assistant AD job at EPISD, no school district in El Paso will pay a coach six figures, not sure where the Star-Telegram got their numbers from, his salary isn't all from football.

Had to be in admin prior, or has extra duties. Pay scale for EPISD, YISD and SISD coaches are all set and published as are principals, and non-classroom personal. Payscale is based on time in education, education level and extra assignments. Pay is only one way to compare, many districts through out the state assign the head coach the athletic directors position as well freeing them from classroom duties. I don't know of any coaches in EP who do not have responsibilities in a classroom. Perks exist from boosters and supporters and many outside EP have more assistants and more importantly have greater control over their program, feeder programs and scheduling. They have a lot more responsibility as well and are subject to higher degree of review of performance.

Saw this last night on Ch. 4 and they said it was a mistake as Coach Padilla set the record straight. It’s actually a coach from Austin (Bowie) that was supposed to be on that list. I think they mentioned his salary was more like half of that, mid 70’s.

Head football coaches for YISD are paid from three areas.
1. Number of years teaching determines the base pay
2. Athletic Coordinator pay $5k
3. Head football coach gets $16k stipend

In YISD the head football coach is the athletic coordinator and does not have any classroom teaching assignment. There is no way any coach in YISD is making six figures.

Plus you read the bios on those other nine coaches, they all have really good records that justify that pay.

Plus you read the bios on those other nine coaches, they all have really good records that justify that pay.

I am sorry I LOVE SPORTS... football, basketball, tennis and used to coach.... there is no way in HELL... a high school coach should be paid more than the principal.... no way.... its ridiculous.. school districts that pay over 100,000 for a high school football coach should fire anyone that makes decisions... Teachers work their assess off and get nothing... and a football coaches what 12 games and takes that in... UMMM NO WAY!! teachers are a million times more important than football coaches and need to start being treated as such!! this stuff is BEYOND RIDICULOUS!

Reactions: minermx07
I am sorry I LOVE SPORTS... football, basketball, tennis and used to coach.... there is no way in HELL... a high school coach should be paid more than the principal.... no way.... its ridiculous.. school districts that pay over 100,000 for a high school football coach should fire anyone that makes decisions... Teachers work their assess off and get nothing... and a football coaches what 12 games and takes that in... UMMM NO WAY!! teachers are a million times more important than football coaches and need to start being treated as such!! this stuff is BEYOND RIDICULOUS!

I agree with you. I didn’t mean that football coaches should get all that money. But how many schools HS to College emphasize athletics over quality of education? The YISD passes that massive bond and every HS has turf and video boards. Which it’s like “Ok, cool.” But are they improving the quality of education?

Reactions: minermx07
I agree with you. I didn’t mean that football coaches should get all that money. But how many schools HS to College emphasize athletics over quality of education? The YISD passes that massive bond and every HS has turf and video boards. Which it’s like “Ok, cool.” But are they improving the quality of education?

Ohhhh I didnt take it that way at all....I just saw the salaries posted in that article and it made me mad....

Ohhhh I didnt take it that way at all....I just saw the salaries posted in that article and it made me mad....

I do get what you’re saying though. We are willing to spend all kinds of money for sports, which I understand we all love. But the quality of education is really lagging behind sometimes. I’m sure some of those football powerhouses, the quality of their programs rival some smaller colleges.

Much of the YISD bond is/has been spent on improving the ability of teachers to teach and on saving money for the future. Some of it was spent on combining campuses to save money (Indian Ridge and Hillcrest are now Bel Air Middle, Camino Real and Valley View are now Del Valle Middle). Of the $525 million dollars, $94 million was spent to rebuild Eastwood High School. It is putting technology in the hands of teachers and creating a 21st Century environment for our students. Some of the money was spent on sports but the vast majority was spent on enhancing the educational environment in classrooms. Add to it the fact that projects are being completed on time and in many cases ahead of schedule and one should be very proud of the improvement associated with the YISD bond.

Reactions: axingfools1
Much of the YISD bond is/has been spent on improving the ability of teachers to teach and on saving money for the future. Some of it was spent on combining campuses to save money (Indian Ridge and Hillcrest are now Bel Air Middle, Camino Real and Valley View are now Del Valle Middle). Of the $525 million dollars, $94 million was spent to rebuild Eastwood High School. It is putting technology in the hands of teachers and creating a 21st Century environment for our students. Some of the money was spent on sports but the vast majority was spent on enhancing the educational environment in classrooms. Add to it the fact that projects are being completed on time and in many cases ahead of schedule and one should be very proud of the improvement associated with the YISD bond.

I just hope that they budgeted money to maintain all these new projects. Before they tore down Eastwood it looked like it had a repair done since I went there in the late 90s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT