Do you support Floyd?

• Yes

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • Waiting until the end of the season.

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
Everything that was written was very comical.

I guess Curtis doesn't realize that Floyd's record in the NBA was 90-231.

There are still fans who support Floyd. I had dinner tonight with a booster who personally thanked Price for what he did.

There are still fans who support Floyd. I had dinner tonight with a booster who personally thanked Price for what he did.

Like it or not (I am not saying Price should have stayed for that long), but he did help energize the fan base and brought in so many new fans, got UTEP ranked, beat ranked teams, and went to three bowl games Floyd did exactly the opposite of what Price did.

I meant the booster thanked Price for what he did the other night to the "Fire Floyd" sign holders.

Hard to argue with the results. My point has always been on these kids who leave the program for various reasons some valid, some questionable, which has directly affected the product on the court.

The letter to the editor makes it sound like Floyd took this job out of the kindness of his heart. He took it because no one else wanted him after his USC situation went to hell. I'm sure he loves EP and UTEP but he has accomplished less here than the coaches who came and left after having success. His ego gets out of hand and his personnel turnover is unreal.

Having said all that, if he starts winning games, all will be forgiven. Such is the nature of being a fan.

Reactions: UTEP05
The letter to the editor makes it sound like Floyd took this job out of the kindness of his heart. He took it because no one else wanted him after his USC situation went to hell. I'm sure he loves EP and UTEP but he has accomplished less here than the coaches who came and left after having success. His ego gets out of hand and his personnel turnover is unreal.

Having said all that, if he starts winning games, all will be forgiven. Such is the nature of being a fan.

I thought the same thing, poor Coach Floyd and his 5 year 3 million dollar deal. This guy acts like he is a volunteer at the Y.

Prominent boosters are often blinded by their friendships with the coaches. Too bad they are friends with the AD as well. I would LOVE to chat with these rich folks and give them a feel of the real fans. BTW, a LOT of the donor seats taken in the Don are older people and rich families that just like to be seen at this public gathering. Hence no more standing and chearing for defense and no shows out the kazoo.

I have defended Floyd to my friends for way too long. I understood a lot wasn't directly his fault. When I listen to him still refer to hamilton, hunter, moore, etc, it makes me sick. He doesn't own the fact that he alone brought these current players here. It's HIS fault we "don't have a talented team". Shouldn't HE be recruiting the best players around to bring in no matter who's on the current squad? Do you think UNC thought "We have this jordan kid who's pretty good. Let's recruit some untalented kids just to fill out the roster"?

Stop blaming crap on everyone else. Own it. It's your job, homey.

and btw #firefloyd

I meant the booster thanked Price for what he did the other night to the "Fire Floyd" sign holders.

Wow. If that's the attitude of UTEP fat cats and high rollers who really have the financial ability to move the needle...

If that's the bar for performance and accountability at UTEP, no wonder athletics are in the crapper. You'd think somebody smart enough to make some serious coin in life would know a little bit about ROI.

Wow. If that's the attitude of UTEP fat cats and high rollers who really have the financial ability to move the needle...

If that's the bar for performance and accountability at UTEP, no wonder athletics are in the crapper. You'd think somebody smart enough to make some serious coin in life would know a little bit about ROI.
One would think so but with the slow, agonizing years before firing Mike Price, I guess it's not that surprising. Damn shame.

Reactions: CoSpgsMinerfan
Given the amount of ball washing the El Paso Times does for UTEP I wouldn't be surprised if they printed the only 2 letters they received in support of Floyd.
I wouldn't take these letters as indicative of the a UTEP fan base as a whole because only a moron would say a fire Floyd sign is in bad taste, but it's OK to have a press conference where your coach cusses out a member of the media and it makes national news.

Reactions: miner661
Does your booster friend know where you stand in regards to CTF?

Haha -- yeah, I express my doubts to him, although more politely than I do here I must admit.

I know several older, die-hard Floyd supporters, and they're definitely getting restless behind the scenes.

In fact, I know both of the guys who wrote those letters. Part of their support comes from knowing Tim and Beverly in social circles.

Last edited:
So it's more or less them defending their friend more than defending a coach they feel is doing a good job. Makes sense.

So it's more or less them defending their friend more than defending a coach they feel is doing a good job. Makes sense.

That's part of it, for sure. Much easier to can a coach with few relationships in the community, and no ties to past glory days.

Like it or not (I am not saying Price should have stayed for that long), but he did help energize the fan base and brought in so many new fans, got UTEP ranked, beat ranked teams, and went to three bowl games Floyd did exactly the opposite of what Price did.

What ranked teams did price beat ?

Hard to argue with the results. My point has always been on these kids who leave the program for various reasons some valid, some questionable, which has directly affected the product on the court.

I think that this is becoming a big NCAA problem that affects colleges but it has a bigger impact on the mid majors because it is harder for them to replace top ranked players. I think it is time for the NCAA to change the rules and or make it a statue that players cannot go pro until their senior year or even make them finish college and graduate. It would be both beneficial to the University and the student/athlete because he would be force to finish school and get a degree that would be beneficial to him after ending his pro career.

Oh hell yes and it's been like that for decades, but it's like that at every damn college with a D1 program. It takes a lot of money to have a division one program, even FCS schools need daddy or mommy big bucks even if they made their money selling urinal cakes. North Dakota State didn't become the best in FCS football by selling brownies after Sunday mass, it doesn't work that way. .
Given the amount of ball washing the El Paso Times does for UTEP I wouldn't be surprised if they printed the only 2 letters they received in support of Floyd.
I wouldn't take these letters as indicative of the a UTEP fan base as a whole because only a moron would say a fire Floyd sign is in bad taste, but it's OK to have a press conference where your coach cusses out a member of the media and it makes national news.

It's been an up and down relationship. Muench as a columnist and Darren Hunt who covered UTEP when he worked with the Times were interesting to say the least and in all honesty, the pendulum swings back and forth. There have been times when the UTEP football and basketball staff was hostile to the EP Times and there were also times they were their only friend....this is one of those times.

Just think about, a few years ago UTEP fans were pumped and energized because of football and basketball. Fans were getting aroused by their female partner on the mountains looking over the Sun Bowl for an ESPN national broadcast in a packed stadium against UT and UTEP basketball fans and followers thought the second coming of Haskins had finally arrived. Wow, have times changed!

As far as numbers go, Floyd has done way more than Kugler as far as wins, however, are Floyd's players graduating?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT