ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Gilyard: Facts

Mar 10, 2019
1. Stop with the disciplinary comments. CRT comment should hv been " Evan was late for practice". He had business outside of basketball that needed his attention that he discussed w his coach.
2. Evan played his ass off the first half of season averaging 20+ppg and 40+% @ the three. It was never his productivity, understand that.
3. He has always given 110% to whoever coached him (Floyd, Johnson &Terry) When you are not even the 3rd scoring option but you are the leading scorer, you begin to question alot of things.
4.Terry had nothing so he needed some players to stay. Terry knew Evan was not part of the future when he spoke to him after last season.
5. IMO, that does not matter. CRT is not a good coach. This year could hv been a more positive experience for the coaches, players and fans.

1. Stop with the disciplinary comments. CRT comment should hv been " Evan was late for practice". He had business outside of basketball that needed his attention that he discussed w his coach.
2. Evan played his ass off the first half of season averaging 20+ppg and 40+% @ the three. It was never his productivity, understand that.
3. He has always given 110% to whoever coached him (Floyd, Johnson &Terry) When you are not even the 3rd scoring option but you are the leading scorer, you begin to question alot of things.
4.Terry had nothing so he needed some players to stay. Terry knew Evan was not part of the future when he spoke to him after last season.
5. IMO, that does not matter. CRT is not a good coach. This year could hv been a more positive experience for the coaches, players and fans.

Sounds like you have some close, inside knowledge of the situation, yes?

Lol Terry is not a good coach after you're 1 year observant of how the team did with only 7 scholorship players and ended season with only 6 playing? Ok great observation lmao. You don't know crap and don't praise him when they win the next two years then. Go jump ship already Good bye!

I like EG3. I've continually sung his praises and questioned the motivation behind his lack of playing time and productivity.

My question is-- is evan really doing things to warrant this discipline, or is he simply being "pushed" out to clear room for CRT's players?

If it's the latter, then I'm going to have to reign in my support for Terry a bit. As the OP said, CRT basically had to re-recruit Evan back to UTEP. As a coach and mentor to these young kids, that's just not how I'd like to see a coach, who represents our university, conduct himself...

What did I miss? Trying to make sense out of your comments.
What disciplinary comments are you talking about? Were there some things said in the pre or post game yesterday?
My take on the matter and it's only my take is that after Gilyard started the season on fire suddenly everything changed. All of his numbers bombed. Why?
The most logical explanation is something between him and CRT. What a waste of talent

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Miner1liner, I think he is referring to a few times Gilyard didn’t start and Terry said it was discipline issues.

After reading this take from our new member it seems as if Terry is looking for the slightest mistake to run off Gilyard. Kind of reminds me of the Myron Strong and Tim Floyd situation during TF’s first season.

Reactions: FixMyCrown
I hope Gilyard stays. He might not, if he doesn't I wish him the best.

I think sometimes it doesn't work out. Popovich is arguably the best coach of all time and there are dozens of guys who couldn't work with him. Same with Coach K, Phil Jackson, etc.

Lol Terry is not a good coach after you're 1 year observant of how the team did with only 7 scholorship players and ended season with only 6 playing? Ok great observation lmao. You don't know crap and don't praise him when they win the next two years then. Go jump ship already Good bye!

I have watch Terry for years. I am in Fresno. I know what Im talking about. I hope that the young men on his team are very successful. He had a talented team this year, regardless of who they were he just didn't want to coach up the players that were not his. Kobee Magee and Evan Gilyard should have been starting the entire season together with N. Hawkins coming off the bench. If your defense all year was its a process, then let the freshman learn from the more talented experience sophomores.

I have watch Terry for years. I am in Fresno. I know what Im talking about. I hope that the young men on his team are very successful. He had a talented team this year, regardless of who they were he just didn't want to coach up the players that were not his. Kobee Magee and Evan Gilyard should have been starting the entire season together with N. Hawkins coming off the bench. If your defense all year was its a process, then let the freshman learn from the more talented experience sophomores.
I'm not buying it and have no reason to believe it. I suspect the forum is becoming reinfected.

Welcome aboard, Fresno. Plenty of room here for you, amigo.

So, if Gilyard were to leave, when would it likely be announced? Or would we just quietly learn the roster when the next season begins?

I honestly believe that CRT was interested in replacing CTF recruits. Maybe now we know why so many players decided to transfer out, we should have seen it when Osbourne transferred out for lathon, not saying I wouldn't make the trade, but we should have seen the writing on the wall with him bringing his own players over him keeping Floyd's. When we recruited Archie I mentioned CRT replacing gilyard for Archie and got ate up by the board for it. But u could easily see that gilyard wasn't being fed like he was before Hawkins was healthy enough to play, and with the incoming guards u can tell he likes big guards, where Kobe and EG3 didn't fit. Also EG3 forced alot of shots and was mainly iso player so maybe he didn't fit CRT system?? But for this year I would have liked to see EG3 start with Hawkins coming off the bench. I hope we don't go through the Miner player carousel that we have in the past with over recruiting rather than coaching up the kids they brought in.

Well now there it is! Appreciate your Two years Evan! Now we know Terry is going to g with Big Guards. Kobe is next to go I'm sure.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That's modern day collegiate basketball for you. I don't like it. Never will. But facts is facts.

We as fans can never again be critical of a player that decides to transfer. Coaches are just as bad as players at playing the transfer game.

The kid will land on his feet. A good chance he will move up in the college basketball world. Depaul would be a good fit and he would get to play at home in a brand new state of the art arena.

9-college-basketball-experts-woody-and-buzz-march-madness-memes.png

Some one is going to get one helluva a pg no matter where he decides to transfer.

Reactions: FixMyCrown
Wow this didn't take long at all.....

Sad to see the smaller guards go. Glad to see Eze is staying. Time to play big.

Reactions: Cube Jack
"This was the plan all along"
Pretty blatant, don't you think? But no excuses now. Coach Terry can't pull what Floyd did blaming Barbee for the program's shortcomings.

Reactions: Cube Jack
"This was the plan all along"
Pretty blatant, don't you think? But no excuses now. Coach Terry can't pull what Floyd did blaming Barbee for the program's shortcomings.

In a case like this I feel really bad for the kids. The NCAA should make a rule that after a coaching change kids can transfer and be immediately eligible to play at another d-1 school .

Wow this didn't take long at all.....

Sad to see the smaller guards go. Glad to see Eze is staying. Time to play big.

Not saying he isn't staying but where did u hear that EZE is staying?? That's great news for me. I think he still has plenty of potential

Not saying he isn't staying but where did u hear that EZE is staying?? That's great news for me. I think he still has plenty of potential
Just assuming now that the others are gone. I also think he will redshirt...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT