ADVERTISEMENT

FAU — WOW

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
giphy.gif
I completely underestimated May and FAU. Incredible performance no matter what happens from here.

Reminder
FAU pays their coach 50% LESS than UTEP
FAU plays in front of 4-8x LESS fans than UTEP does
FAU has won as many NCAA Tournament games in this NCAA Tournament as UTEP has since 1986.

We should just be happy with the most expensive tickets ever, the worst conference ever, and 3 NCAA Tournaments in 31 years though!

Reminder
FAU has won as many NCAA Tournament games in this NCAA Tournament as UTEP has since 1986.

We should just be happy with the most expensive tickets ever, the worst conference ever, and 3 NCAA Tournaments in 31 years though!

maybe-ehhh.gif

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Bunch of good guards and a nice big. All young too. May should be gone after their last game. Now rooting for UCONN.

Bunch of good guards and a nice big. All young too. May should be gone after their last game. Now rooting for UCONN.
Where is he going? Only open jobs that would be a step up are Cal, Penn St, Temple, Texas Tech, and Texas. South Florida is close to hiring Utah St’s coach. Surely he wouldn’t leave FAU for Utah St. Tech is close to hiring UNT’s. Doubt he would leave for UNT either.

Reminder

You picked FAU to the Final Four in your bracket no doubt.

So you're saying he won't leave for more money?
No that is not what I am saying. Utah St is going to lose their coach to USF. They got their last 2 coaches from smaller schools, none of which made the Final 4. FAU will pay May all they can to keep him. I don’t really see a AAC coach coming off a F4 appearance to get a job like Utah St. Especially since he has no ties to the area or school.

No that is not what I am saying. Utah St is going to lose their coach to USF. They got their last 2 coaches from smaller schools, none of which made the Final 4. FAU will pay May all they can to keep him. I don’t really see a AAC coach coming off a F4 appearance to get a job like Utah St. Especially since he has no ties to the area or school.

What if FAU can't match the offers?

Gotta keep rooting for them, at least for the money distribution.

After my bracket was busted, and Texas got hosed, I am all in on a Florida title game, FAU vs The U.
Still sore about UConn costing me my bracket when they beat Memphis in the title game....

Reactions: EPUTEP
For those that keep giving UTEP excuses and have the “wait until next year” mentality.

“May said he started feeling buyer's remorse after he saw the team's facilities. The locker rooms were small. The arena only sat 2,500 people. Both were outdated, compared to what the former Florida assistant was used to under Gators coach Mike White.”

"At that point, I still haven't been to our gym, our weight room, our locker room," he said. "The facilities weren't up to par. And I had already accepted the job… I would've left and went back to Gainesville after signing the contract if it wasn't for my relationship with Mike (White) and his family."

FAU's athletic director Brian White is the brother of May's former boss, Mike White.

"We didn't trick him or anything. I mean, I'd be lying if I told you that we showed him the arena before he signed his contract," Brian White told CBS Sports. "That came after."

“ Dusty May, the rising star coach behind FAU’s current Final Four run, told CBSSports.com last week that he almost backed out of the job in 2018 when he saw the condition of the basketball facilities after he had already signed his contract. Asked to elaborate on Thursday, May said that “the people, the area, the campus at FAU, it blew me away how impressive it was,” but the basketball facilities “were still in kind of a time warp.”

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Nice Cinderella story but that’s not the norm. More often than not if we find some unknown coach and pay him half of what we pay Golding the unknown coach will not make the final four.

All the coaches in the elite 8 except May are making over 1.3 million per year. That’s the real formula for success. Hire a good coach and pay him his worth.

Nice Cinderella story but that’s not the norm. More often than not if we find some unknown coach and pay him half of what we pay Golding the unknown coach will not make the final four.

All the coaches in the elite 8 except May are making over 1.3 million per year. That’s the real formula for success. Hire a good coach and pay him his worth.
It is a nice story, and I am not suggesting or demanding that UTEP should be able to get to the Final 4. It’s highly likely UTEP will never make it to or past the Elite 8 again.

We don’t need to pay 1.3M to get to the Elite 8 because that is unrealistic and not the expectations of the majority of UTEP fans.

Right. And whether or not he leaves soon they have already paid him more.

“A lot of raw emotions and variables went into that moment,” May said. “And fortunately my wife is tough as nails and she said…‘You made the decision, now it’s time to live with it”

I do remember they had a senior that was a starter a couple of seasons ago and he lost his starting position. But instead of transferring like most would do these days, he hung around and was put in late in the elite eight and made the clutch last minute free throws that got them to advance. The commentators were talking about this and I thought that was pretty cool.

I also think that missing a spot in the national championship game by a last second shot probably also helped FAU keep all their players this year too. As for any NIL deals, I would expect that tourney run also helped with the donor money as well. Winning and winning on that stage is a game changer. I would be curious what the FAU NIL money was last year compared to this year.

I also think that missing a spot in the national championship game by a last second shot probably also helped FAU keep all their players this year too. As for any NIL deals, I would expect that tourney run also helped with the donor money as well. Winning and winning on that stage is a game changer. I would be curious what the FAU NIL money was last year compared to this year.
I dont think they had an NIL last season, but they have one now.

FAU is doing trading cards as a revenue source. Could UTEP do something like that? Somebody at UTEP please start thinking outside the box on sources of revenue.

FAU is doing trading cards as a revenue source. Could UTEP do something like that? Somebody at UTEP please start thinking outside the box on sources of revenue.
They've done some sort of trading card thing before, haven't they? Years ago?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT