ADVERTISEMENT

FB great speaks out about the portal

Serious question-Where do you expect that money to come from ? You act like this money grows out of thin air
Maybe if Senter comes out with a master plan detailing where the money is going towards to. The people of EP, the alumni, and the friends of the university might make it happen.

Sure beats the crap he's doing now. "We reached 7 wins, so donate $70."

Have you visited their facilities?

Duke's, yes. Cameron indoor is a fraction of the size of the Don, but it is immaculately kept and has kept it's old charm while remaining contemporary. This was in the early 2000's, I've only seen video of how it has been updated from then.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Duke's, yes. Cameron indoor is a fraction of the size of the Don, but it is immaculately kept and has kept it's old charm while remaining contemporary. This was in the early 2000's, I've only seen video of how it has been updated from then.
No. I was responding to "Meanwhile at UTEP we still can't figure out the musical chairs game of conference realignment or investing in off the field stuff to attract athletes....", not Duke.

It is painfully obvious most on here have not visited UTEP facilities just for the athletes themselves nor will most go online to check it out. It's is not the best, but far, far removed from the worst in Div 1/FBS programs.

LKD Center was built 19 years ago and was pretty state of the art at the time. I'd say a modest remodel would be nice and maybe updating and and upgrading the locker rooms and work out facilities would suffice. Also continuing renovations to Sun Bowl would be great. The practice facility maybe could add some things, but El Paso is called the Sun City for a reason, keep it outdoors!

The practice facility maybe could add some things, but El Paso is called the Sun City for a reason, keep it outdoors!
Going by a city’s nickname is no way to invest. Get the indoor practice facility. We have to be the only D1 that doesn’t in Texas.
Only 7th for “sunniest cities” so who cares

But if you’re Cowing, you’re getting your numbers and then some. Here at UTEP he was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option on deep passes, is he going to get that treatment at a bigger program? I don’t see how coaching, scheme or QB would be an issue for someone putting up those kinds of numbers because he’s the main beneficiary on offense.
Was he though? He had 2 catches in the bowl game. Dimel probably wants to run 60-65% of the time. He opened up the playbook late in the year (due to the offense ineptness) and passing game got inflated numbers. Start of next year Dimel probably wants to go back to the offensive game plan he always wants to run 60-40 run split. Cowing (and other WRs) probably want 10 targets a game. If you’re Ty Smith maybe you’re tired of mainly running go routes and not getting the ball thrown your way. From what I’ve seen of Hardison he isn’t much of a rah-rah guy, and I don’t particularly think he is a good leader. Optics do play a part and when teammates see a guy who is basically “bleh”, emotionless, visually regressing, and doesn’t speak up or say ANYTHING…doesn’t really inspire confidence.

Reactions: picks up
No. I was responding to "Meanwhile at UTEP we still can't figure out the musical chairs game of conference realignment or investing in off the field stuff to attract athletes....", not Duke.

It is painfully obvious most on here have not visited UTEP facilities just for the athletes themselves nor will most go online to check it out. It's is not the best, but far, far removed from the worst in Div 1/FBS programs.

The Larry K Durham Center is nice, as is the Foster Complex, not top in the country, but nice. The Sun Bowl has one of the best back drops in the country, but it's way too old. I love the Don, but it needs a lot of TLC. The Miner village dorms are a massive improvement to what the old dorms at Kelly were, but they could be better.
The food situation on campus is a joke and lets not even talk about the nutritional level of the food that is available. Kidd field is old and could use a face lift, ditto for Memorial Gym. The Soccer and Softball fields are tiny and nice. That pretty much covers it.

If UTEP wants to compete with the big boys they are going to need a lot more than nice little facilities that get a face lift every 20+ years. Where's the deal with Nike, Under Armor, or Adidas that keeps the athletes in swag they will never have to wear twice? Like it or not, college athletes are now mercenaries for hire. They might not get cash yet, but they get paid in other ways. Better dorms, better food, free entertainment, free gear, scrimmages/games in other countries, etc. The game has evolved and UTEP hasn't.

Going by a city’s nickname is no way to invest. Get the indoor practice facility. We have to be the only D1 that doesn’t in Texas.
Only 7th for “sunniest cities” so who cares
I don't think one is necessary needed. Maybe a semi enclosed practice field with high walls and ceiling at the most.

I don't think one is necessary needed. Maybe a semi enclosed practice field with high walls and ceiling at the most.
Maybe Dimel could use that as their recruiting pitch. "Come play at UTEP, home to the only FBS school in Texas without an IPF."

Reactions: kickballpro
Maybe Dimel could use that as their recruiting pitch. "Come play at UTEP, home to the only FBS school in Texas without an IPF."
1st of all it's definitely not the only FBS school without an indoor practice facility. Second of all, UAB has exactly what I'm talking about. They have a high roof no walls, semi enclosed practice facility.

The Larry K Durham Center is nice, as is the Foster Complex, not top in the country, but nice. The Sun Bowl has one of the best back drops in the country, but it's way too old. I love the Don, but it needs a lot of TLC. The Miner village dorms are a massive improvement to what the old dorms at Kelly were, but they could be better.
The food situation on campus is a joke and lets not even talk about the nutritional level of the food that is available. Kidd field is old and could use a face lift, ditto for Memorial Gym. The Soccer and Softball fields are tiny and nice. That pretty much covers it.

If UTEP wants to compete with the big boys they are going to need a lot more than nice little facilities that get a face lift every 20+ years. Where's the deal with Nike, Under Armor, or Adidas that keeps the athletes in swag they will never have to wear twice? Like it or not, college athletes are now mercenaries for hire. They might not get cash yet, but they get paid in other ways. Better dorms, better food, free entertainment, free gear, scrimmages/games in other countries, etc. The game has evolved and UTEP hasn't.
That is definitely another issue here. The players get very little in swag in comparison to the two New Mexico schools.

Was he though? He had 2 catches in the bowl game. Dimel probably wants to run 60-65% of the time. He opened up the playbook late in the year (due to the offense ineptness) and passing game got inflated numbers. Start of next year Dimel probably wants to go back to the offensive game plan he always wants to run 60-40 run split. Cowing (and other WRs) probably want 10 targets a game. If you’re Ty Smith maybe you’re tired of mainly running go routes and not getting the ball thrown your way. From what I’ve seen of Hardison he isn’t much of a rah-rah guy, and I don’t particularly think he is a good leader. Optics do play a part and when teammates see a guy who is basically “bleh”, emotionless, visually regressing, and doesn’t speak up or say ANYTHING…doesn’t really inspire confidence.
Cowing had a huge catch that was erroneously called out of bounds by the refs. As to Hardison, we’re not in the huddle to know how vocal he is, but I do put the bowl loss on his shoulders with that idiotic fumble

QB1 is a leader of the team. Any team from HS, college, to the NFL. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Hardison speak. Commentators during games have mentioned how the coaching staff want him to be more vocal, demonstrative. He doesn’t have that intangible and probably won’t ever have it. I’m not saying he has to run his mouth like a Spencer Rattler but show something.

QB1 is a leader of the team. Any team from HS, college, to the NFL. I don’t think I’ve ever heard Hardison speak. Commentators during games have mentioned how the coaching staff want him to be more vocal, demonstrative. He doesn’t have that intangible and probably won’t ever have it. I’m not saying he has to run his mouth like a Spencer Rattler but show something.
I heard the same thing. Maturation comes with time, quicker for some, some take longer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT