ADVERTISEMENT

FIRE DIMEL

Can we come up with a short list of candidates for the coaching job? Might as well start looking now. Let's not drag this out any more than we have to.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
It’s quite obvious El Paso has given up on Dimel. Senter has to sell tickets to games vs UIW, UNLV, and 4 CUSA opponents, probably not NMSU since we played them here this year. With at least 1, probably 2 of those games being on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Without a coaching change, you can kiss any hope of good attendance out the window. El Paso hates Dimel ball.

Thanks for the memories Coach Dimel!
Welcome Coach Kinne!!!

Rumor, or my imagination has it that Senter met up with Coach Kinne at Taquitos West Avenue to finalize the hire!

Reactions: Rot and utep-piggy
This game was ours to win. We lost the game because our players lacked discipline and killed themselves with turn overs and bonehead penalties at the worst possible time. The good things we did in the first half we were not able replicate in the second half. We have seen Dimel’s misuse of timeouts and poor clock management and knew it would bite us in the butt. It happened today against the best team in the league. We had Utsa on the ropes, but couldn’t knock them out. Although the players made mistakes, Dimel is responsible for not holding players and coaches accountable all year long. Looking back at this season, there were at least three other games that we lost for the reasons stated above. We played up and down to our competition. This team was able to compete evenly with teams like Boise State and Utsa. There are no moral victories and Miner fans are tired of the same old excuses. This was Dimel’s fifth year and we should’ve shown improvement with the solid talent we had on this team. We lose some great talent this year and things will be tougher next year. We’re left behind in a watered down conference and there’s no hope on the horizon. A coaching change is needed before this team sinks further.

This game was ours to win. We lost the game because our players lacked discipline and killed themselves with turn overs and bonehead penalties at the worst possible time. The good things we did in the first half we were not able replicate in the second half. We have seen Dimel’s misuse of timeouts and poor clock management and knew it would bite us in the butt. It happened today against the best team in the league. We had Utsa on the ropes, but couldn’t knock them out. Although the players made mistakes, Dimel is responsible for not holding players and coaches accountable all year long. Looking back at this season, there were at least three other games that we lost for the reasons stated above. We played up and down to our competition. This team was able to compete evenly with teams like Boise State and Utsa. There are no moral victories and Miner fans are tired of the same old excuses. This was Dimel’s fifth year and we should’ve shown improvement with the solid talent we had on this team. We lose some great talent this year and things will be tougher next year. We’re left behind in a watered down conference and there’s no hope on the horizon. A coaching change is needed before this team sinks further.
Nice wrap up to this game and the season. Agree on all accounts!

I know that some people don’t feel like this makes any difference, but I urge as many people who are willing to email Senter and voice their displeasure with our current coach, and Senter’s decision to give him an extension.

I think it helps to keep the talk respectable but factual, sprinkled with a dose of personal opinion. I’ve consistently voiced my displeasure and Senter has responded to damn near every email I’ve ever sent.

The fact that an AD of an FBS program responds to the average Joe means that he is at least listening. It may help, and it may not. What is there to lose? A barrage of emails from discontented fans may be what’s needed. Not sure. Like I said, it can’t hurt.

PS - Just a suggestion that everybody puts “aPathetic” in the subject line. Shows a little unity among the discontented. Whatever.

jsenter@utep.edu

Last edited:
I know that some people don’t feel like this makes any difference, but I urge as many people who are willing to email Senter and voice their displeasure with our current coach, and Senter’s decision to give him an extension.

I think it helps to keep the talk respectable but factual, sprinkled with a dose of personal opinion. I’ve consistently voiced my displeasure and Senter has responded to damn near every email I’ve ever sent.

The fact that an AD of an FBS program responds to the average Joe means that he is at least listening. It may help, and it may not. What is there to lose? A barrage of emails from discontented fans may be what’s needed. Not sure. Like I said, it can’t hurt.

PS - Just a suggestion that everybody puts “aPathetic” in the subject line. Shows a little unity among the discontented. Whatever.

jsenter@utep.edu
Discontented? More like Delusional. You Internet Warriors are a minority. The true fans are attending the games and supporting the team. In the thousands. You malcontents are a tiny little group typing away and living in a gray boring world. Sucks to be you.
Gotta go...getting ready to travel to Las Cruces to cheer on the Miners. Football season is over now...wonder how long before you start calling for GOLDINGS head after we lose a game or two?

Discontented? More like Delusional. You Internet Warriors are a minority. The true fans are attending the games and supporting the team. In the thousands. You malcontents are a tiny little group typing away and living in a gray boring world. Sucks to be you.
Gotta go...getting ready to travel to Las Cruces to cheer on the Miners. Football season is over now...wonder how long before you start calling for GOLDINGS head after we lose a game or two?
Great post as usual, Vegas. Not sure about “true fan”, but you definitely sound cheerleaderish.

Malcontents are a tiny group? Hmm. Wonder who the delusional one is.

The malcontents are not a tiny group. They might not be on the board, but they are every empty seat in the Sun Bowl.

What drugs are you on? I guess I missed the 40,000 fans at the last 5 games,
I really hope you are being sarcastic!

yeah, this game loss sucks.. could have, should have but didn't... I don't believe Dimel will be fired but lets not get ahead of our skies.. a replacement will not be any better... the need for more speed is gotta be the no.1 priority for this team.. Next year, after all his recruits come in, will the last test for coach Dimel. Progress was made but not quick enough.
Hang in there Miner Nation the best is yet to come..
Can I get a high five from everyone..

Reactions: Vegasminer
It’s quite obvious El Paso has given up on Dimel. Senter has to sell tickets to games vs UIW, UNLV, and 4 CUSA opponents, probably not NMSU since we played them here this year. With at least 1, probably 2 of those games being on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Without a coaching change, you can kiss any hope of good attendance out the window. El Paso hates Dimel ball.

El Paso has given up on UTEP. That’s what happens when your Football team wins 2 games in 3 years and your basketball team struggles to make the Conference Tournament.

Probably not.

To re-energize this program, we will need to hire a Mike Price type coach. People are sick of the acceptance of mediocrity.

To be a bowl team, all you have to do is win 6 games and be a top 80-85 team in FBS. Not that tough. However, UTEP fluked itself into a bowl last season and beat bottom 25 teams pretty much throughout. El Paso was smart enough to realize that, because other than the home opener, ticket sales sucked. This year's team was supposed to be better, but other than the Boise game, there was a consistent inconsistency. Dimels teams cannot play a full 4 quarters. This was an experienced team supposedly, but the same mistakes happened every week. Let's not even start on Dimels GameDay coaching. The talent and experience was there this season, so it's an indictment on the coaching staff.

UTEP needs to take the next step (and at this point, keep up with NMSU). We can not afford to wait anymore. Senter needs to make a change now.

Probably not.

To re-energize this program, we will need to hire a Mike Price type coach. People are sick of the acceptance of mediocrity.

To be a bowl team, all you have to do is win 6 games and be a top 80-85 team in FBS. Not that tough. However, UTEP fluked itself into a bowl last season and beat bottom 25 teams pretty much throughout. El Paso was smart enough to realize that, because other than the home opener, ticket sales sucked. This year's team was supposed to be better, but other than the Boise game, there was a consistent inconsistency. Dimels teams cannot play a full 4 quarters. This was an experienced team supposedly, but the same mistakes happened every week. Let's not even start on Dimels GameDay coaching. The talent and experience was there this season, so it's an indictment on the coaching staff.

UTEP needs to take the next step (and at this point, keep up with NMSU). We can not afford to wait anymore. Senter needs to make a change now.
I wouldn’t be against a change at this point although we won’t see it. Dimel really needs to get a QB who can run this offense effectively. Hardison can throw (in limited numbers) but he can’t run. Brownholtz can run but he can’t pass. Everyone before them was one dimensional as well.

The offense flowed better with Brownholtz than with Hardison. Can’t help but think this team would have won 2-3 more games had he been the starter all year.
The strength of the team was definitely the running game and Brownholtz was a better fit for it. Outside of Tyrin and Flores (who could play multiple positions), our offense wasn't a fit for a deep drop back passing game. I think I agree we would have won atleast one more game had we started Brownholtz. Awatt and Hankins was a really decent duo of RBs with Flores thrown in.

The offense flowed better with Brownholtz than with Hardison. Can’t help but think this team would have won 2-3 more games had he been the starter all year.
In the 3 games Brownholtz has started we've averaged 38 ppg. I'm not sure what Hardison averaged in all his starts but I think it's around 21 ppg.

Who knows but over the last 3 years if those numbers remained steady we might have won another 6 games or more.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Dimel is stubborn, and that alone should send him packing... Dimel will never get over the hump. Wilson won't get rid of Senter, and Senter isn't ready to toss Dimel. UTEP has zero ambition with athletics, and it shows. NMSU will pass them by, if they haven't already. CUSA SHOULD be easier for the Miners with the new teams, it won't. The top leadership, are clueless. El Paso has spoken, the attendance is that proof. Pony up. How can other mid majors pay more? With at or less athletic budgets?

yeah, this game loss sucks.. could have, should have but didn't... I don't believe Dimel will be fired but lets not get ahead of our skies.. a replacement will not be any better... the need for more speed is gotta be the no.1 priority for this team.. Next year, after all his recruits come in, will the last test for coach Dimel. Progress was made but not quick enough.
Hang in there Miner Nation the best is yet to come..
Nope

You can fire the Coach, fill up the Transfer, bring in the next big thing, but until UTEP fixes UTEP they won’t become what people think it’s should be. There are no NIL deals, facilities are at 1990’s standards, the student body doesn’t care, the city barley pays attention, no athletic fees, and the administration is indifferent and complacent.

You can fire the Coach, fill up the Transfer, bring in the next big thing, but until UTEP fixes UTEP they won’t become what people think it’s should be. There are no NIL deals, facilities are at 1990’s standards, the student body doesn’t care, the city barley pays attention, no athletic fees, and the administration is indifferent and complacent.
NMSU won 5 games this year and FIU won 4. You can’t tell me that UTEP football is worse off than those 2 programs. Dimel won 2 games his first 2 years and hasn’t been over .500 in CUSA play in 5 years.

Everyone has excuses for him, but schools with less are winning faster.

I can't believe there's people here saying Dimel should stay another year. He has to go NOW. If you want to win you have to be willing to take risks. FIRE DIMEL IMEDIATELY.
I think it’s best to part ways but UTEP has rarely if ever shown a willingness to fire coaches before their contracts are up.

NMSU won 5 games this year and FIU won 4. You

can’t tell me that UTEP football is worse off than those 2 programs. Dimel won 2 games his first 2 years and hasn’t been over .500 in CUSA play in 5 years.

Everyone has excuses for him, but schools with less are winning faster.

UTEP isn’t much better off than those 2 programs IMO. That’s why all 3 suck year after year.

UTEP isn’t much better off than those 2 programs IMO. That’s why all 3 suck year after year.
Yeah but UTEP should have had momentum after finally reaching a bowl game last season. Thank God it wasn't as bad as Doug Martin at NMSU after the 2017 bowl win going 3-9 but there were some chokes. I was not able to watch as many UTEP games as I wanted to this season, but from what I gathered there were too many issues. My biggest one is the game against UNM. That should have been a win but we can't have 7 turnovers in a game. The FAU game was a bs loss due to bad calls. Still We should have been 7-5 without those bad chokes or at least 6-6. On NMSU's side, Jerry Kill has been known for improving teams year after year. Depending on whether Valpo will get the waiver to play and if NMSU can get a second waiver to count that, NMSU could be bowl bound in year one of the Coach Kill era. Easy SoS yes, but that looks good when compared to Dimel and Gonzales at UNM for their first seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT