ADVERTISEMENT

First FB commitment

minerpride31

All Star
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2013

Good size. Al Jones size. Transfer from Western Carolina to Butler C.C. in South Carolina.

This is good news on two fronts: A) UTEP is allowing a budget to go coast to coast, north to south based on the tweets of Coach Canales. The one bright spot of former AD Bob Stull was he allowed a bigger, reasonable budget for such recruiting. Some FBS schools do not have that big a luxury because it can get expensive, quickly. B) UTEP only had two solid linebackers who were doing most of the yeoman's work and that was Alvin and Lovilotte and they both are gone. Dimebag Dimel says UTEP only has ten to give and no one else has asked for a transfer or has departed.

UTEP needs a bruiser rb. We have a blocking back who has showed to be very productive in Dimel's son.

http://catamount.boards.net/thread/7812/belton

Good size. Al Jones size. Transfer from Western Carolina to Butler C.C. in South Carolina.

This is good news on two fronts: A) UTEP is allowing a budget to go coast to coast, north to south based on the tweets of Coach Canales. The one bright spot of former AD Bob Stull was he allowed a bigger, reasonable budget for such recruiting. Some FBS schools do not have that big a luxury because it can get expensive, quickly. B) UTEP only had two solid linebackers who were doing most of the yeoman's work and that was Alvin and Lovilotte and they both are gone. Dimebag Dimel says UTEP only has ten to give and no one else has asked for a transfer or has departed.

UTEP needs a bruiser rb. We have a blocking back who has showed to be very productive in Dimel's son.

I'm assuming he played at the Butler CC in Kansas, which is how Dimel got this guy.

He was a walk-on at South Carolina, though, following his one year Western Carolina stint.

Reactions: MinerJo
It takes balls to be the first given the disaster we had last season. Props to this kid. I’m excited he’s coming onboard.

Hopefully we will have a few of these guys committed before their official visits starting this weekend; they can help sell the program to the other guys. Obviously, immediate playing time would be a huge selling point.

You can see what the coaches are trying to do here, by signing a LB that can play outside in space. He's almost a hybrid Safety type. Because of the spread, everybody is now trying to find these guys that can play in space and tackle in the open field. That is what Belton appears to do well in a limited look through his HUDL film. So I get it.

His film reminds me a lot of Kalaii Griffin, who UTEP signed from JC last year, although Griffin is bigger than Belton. Griffin didn't necessarily have a big impact for us adjusting to D1 in his first year, but we might need more guys like Griffin and Belton for the new scheme that Cox is going to run.

I keep reading that Belton was a 3 star recruit coming out of high school, but I can not find anything that verifies this and his recruiting history certainly does not reflect that he was a 3 star. My question is, if he was a 3 star, then why did he sign with Western Carolina out of high school? At this point, as a JC Junior year transfer, I guess his star rating from 2 years ago doesn't matter, that part just doesn't seem to add up though.

Reactions: JCorona
You can see what the coaches are trying to do here, by signing a LB that can play outside in space. He's almost a hybrid Safety type. Because of the spread, everybody is now trying to find these guys that can play in space and tackle in the open field. That is what Belton appears to do well in a limited look through his HUDL film. So I get it.

His film reminds me a lot of Kalaii Griffin, who UTEP signed from JC last year, although Griffin is bigger than Belton. Griffin didn't necessarily have a big impact for us adjusting to D1 in his first year, but we might need more guys like Griffin and Belton for the new scheme that Cox is going to run.

I keep reading that Belton was a 3 star recruit coming out of high school, but I can not find anything that verifies this and his recruiting history certainly does not reflect that he was a 3 star. My question is, if he was a 3 star, then why did he sign with Western Carolina out of high school? At this point, as a JC Junior year transfer, I guess his star rating from 2 years ago doesn't matter, that part just doesn't seem to add up though.

The rating I too can care less about. Your suggestion that he can play outside in space makes sense. Man was UTEP horrid on outside containment.

It was easy to find his 3 star rating out of HS using Rivals. Just enter the year he graduated HS and search his name. The way I think it matters is that UTEP is now getting recruits that they have not had in 5 years.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I just wonder why a 3 star prospect only had 2 D1 offers coming out of high school(App State and Georgia State)? He had 11 lower level FCS offers and he signed with a FCS school. He also won "MVP honors at the Rivals Camp Series Charlotte event" prior to his Senior season so he had to of been relatively well known. I wonder if maybe he had an injury during his Senior Season?, grades?, or did the D1 teams just miss out on offering a 3 star prospect?

I just wonder why a 3 star prospect only had 2 D1 offers coming out of high school(App State and Georgia State)? He had 11 lower level FCS offers and he signed with a FCS school. He also won "MVP honors at the Rivals Camp Series Charlotte event" prior to his Senior season so he had to of been relatively well known. I wonder if maybe he had an injury during his Senior Season?, grades?, or did the D1 teams just miss out on offering a 3 star prospect?

Grades are often a reason for ending up at JC. Also time for development. He did not have offers from big schools but did have some interest at least from Clemson and a couple of others.

Reactions: axingfools1

Do we have Dimel's son for sure? That would be great. Too bad Kevin Dove decided to transfer out to Prairie View. He can play right away since it is FCS but he could have been that big bruiser RB you mentioned.

Dimel’s son is a FB, am I correct? How many fullbacks will we have on the roster if there is no more turnover?

If Dimmel's son does come here, I could see McKee red shirting and learning the position behind Dimmel's son. That way they have a starting FB for 3 years.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT