ADVERTISEMENT

First UTEP Fan Council Meeting

Get rid of the seats above the concourses behind both baselines in the DHC. Those seats are never used. Remove those seats put in lounges suites, cabanas anything that adds revenue. Those seats never make money. An 8,000 seat arena is perfect for this level of basketball.

Reactions: EPTUTEP and JCorona
There was a 1301 course on utep history and traditions I was a TA in. Hope it’s still there

I believe it is still there. I just think every 1301 course needs to install UTEP history and spirit. It is the best way to build fans.

The renovations to the sun bowl will already lower capacity a little bit. I would guess around 1k.

I’ve been saying this on here for years, “bring back the Amen chant.”

Betting odds that some student group/community group would say that’s a religious inference etc etc

I liked the “start the bus” with the keys out in the student section during the barbee/Sadler days

Reactions: carimflow
Stop already with the lowering of the Sun Bowl And Don Haskins seating capacity. they are fine!! Just wait until we start winning, then the demand will be there.
No G5 teams averages 50k per season. Very few even hit 40k.

During Kugler’s second year it was suppose to be the start of a new era. Kugler was 6-5 for senior night. The fan base should have shown up in droves for a winning team. We couldn’t even get 28k to buy tickets.

The days of consistent 40k crowds and above are over.

Even the Sun Bowl bowl game was under 40k this past season.

There is nothing wrong with my suggestion. IF we sell out the bottom bowl then open up at the top sections for sale.

BYU is the only g5 that averages over 50k pretty consistently but they have a following of an entire church.

When ECU is even semi good they average over 50k.

Those are the only g5 schools that come to mind.

Are these schools aware that they have been relegated?

“With the establishment of the College Football Playoff in 2014, the term "automatic qualifying conference" is no longer in use, as the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) has been discontinued. ... The American and the other four conferences in the FBS are known as the "Group of Five" (sometimes called the G5 or Go5).”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Five_conferences

So, I don’t see how they’ve been relegated if the group of 5 (G5) are the 5 main power conferences. Only time I’ll use Wikipedia for anything

“With the establishment of the College Football Playoff in 2014, the term "automatic qualifying conference" is no longer in use, as the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) has been discontinued. ... The American and the other four conferences in the FBS are known as the "Group of Five" (sometimes called the G5 or Go5).”

So, I don’t see how they’ve been relegated if the group of 5 (G5) are the 5 main power conferences. Only time I’ll use Wikipedia for anything
From the article you linked

With the split of the old Big East, there are now five power conferences: the Atlantic Coast Conference(ACC), Big Ten Conference (B1G), Big 12 Conference, Pac-12 Conference, and Southeastern Conference(SEC). The power conferences make up five of the ten conferences in FBS; the other FBS conferences are informally known as the Group of Five.[3] The FBS consists of the Power Five, the Group of Five, and a small number of independent schools.

It’s very common knowledge among college fans and sports broadcasters that you’re either in the P5 or G5.

Reactions: El Paso 1

Those would be the P5 conferences.

Reduce the seating capacity in both basketball and football.

Football to around 40,000. If Oklahoma, Arizona, Army, Texas Tech, etc can’t pull more than 40k no one in CUSA is either.

In basketball make it around 9,000. If there’s a marquee game on the schedule and ticket sales are going well then open up the other 3k tickets to the public.

By reducing the capacity it will provide a more compact intimate crowd that can help give UTEP a better home court advantage.

It might also help with ticket sales. When people are afraid a game might sell out they might be more inclined to go out early and buy their tickets instead of buying at the door the day of the game.

It would also help if the UTEP athletics social media would periodically tweet how ticket sales are going. For example if the basketball seating is reduced to the 9k I mentioned and it’s Friday and 7k tickets have been sold tweet it out so that there is an urgency in the city to buy tickets and get the sell out.

We should wait on reducing the siting capacity. We know that once football and basketball starts winning the Don and the Sun Bowl will get packed.

Go Miners...

Reactions: axingfools1
We should wait on reducing the siting capacity. We know that once football and basketball starts winning the Don and the Sun Bowl will get packed.

Go Miners...

IF, not ONCE. And it's very easy to tarp off a section of seats and IF UTEP starts winning they can use the seats that are tarped off. It's not that hard to do.

Reactions: carimflow
IF, not ONCE. And it's very easy to tarp off a section of seats and IF UTEP starts winning they can use the seats that are tarped off. It's not that hard to do.
That link @Minerinciter provided would be a nice option. Maybe get some orange covers and have some sponsors advertise on them. It would make a lot more money than having empty seats.

Does anyone remember the Blimp at the basketball games? That was something I loved when Id go to the basketball games that Id love to see back.
I went to a San Antonio game in March and they dropped tiny little parachutes from the rafters that had prizes in them. This is probably similar to the blimp idea but with less risk.

The sound and lighting systems in the DHC is in desperate need. I love good hype music, intros and videos. Those really get me pumped for the games and I imagine it pumps the players too. Just go to any NBA game and there are ideas galore.

Also, if the rafters/roof can support those bulky speakers then why not a square scoreboard with video screens? Maybe one of you structural engineers can explain that one.

I got rid of my season tickets 2 years ago. I got tired of Floyd, but before that I asked for at least 3 consecutive years to move down and be more towards the middle. I had 4 seats. I was told the seats where sold, but they were empty 90% of the time. Is there a way to get people that come to every game the better seats while giving the coorporations or businesses the other seats? It would take some monitoring and assigned seating, but it could be done. Why would anybody pay big bucks for seats when there are better seats of equivalent value that are empty? Also, more recently, I can just buy cheaper seats and move down. Most people are doing this.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Move the band out of the end zone. They need to be with the students ( if any show up).
Maybe have a different high school band play a song or two with the band.
The band needs to play current music, not the same program every game.

I do like the mine shaft, don’t know how to make it safer for the players coming down the steps.

Get rid of the third down toll.

My only suggestion is to have an AD that puts pressure on coaches to WIN and hold them accountable for mediocracy. The last meaningful game at the Don was when Barbee was coach and we were playing UAB for the CUSA regular season championship and the Don was sold out. Winning puts butts in the seats.

1. Will Mr. Senter bring back the way the south end zone used to be:
EL PASO TEXAS (just the paint it over)

instead of this:

2. Make better use of Kidd Field, either it's a better track facility or multipurpose (soccer/ track) use.
3. Remove the wooden bleachers at Memorial Gym at least from floor level with more modern gymnasium seating:
https://www.husseyseating.com/university-of-findlay
Improve the lighting as well (non- LED):
http://www.musco.com/smallarenas_gyms/

I went to a San Antonio game in March and they dropped tiny little parachutes from the rafters that had prizes in them. This is probably similar to the blimp idea but with less risk.

The sound and lighting systems in the DHC is in desperate need. I love good hype music, intros and videos. Those really get me pumped for the games and I imagine it pumps the players too. Just go to any NBA game and there are ideas galore.

Also, if the rafters/roof can support those bulky speakers then why not a square scoreboard with video screens? Maybe one of you structural engineers can explain that one.

I got rid of my season tickets 2 years ago. I got tired of Floyd, but before that I asked for at least 3 consecutive years to move down and be more towards the middle. I had 4 seats. I was told the seats where sold, but they were empty 90% of the time. Is there a way to get people that come to every game the better seats while giving the coorporations or businesses the other seats? It would take some monitoring and assigned seating, but it could be done. Why would anybody pay big bucks for seats when there are better seats of equivalent value that are empty? Also, more recently, I can just buy cheaper seats and move down. Most people are doing this.

I'm totally with you about the season tickets. It's VERY annoying seeing all the lower seats empty, yet they are "sold". It took me forever, but I finally got into the lower seats only to see every seat to my right and left empty every game. It's a bad look. I understand big companies don't care about the money and just write the check, but something should change.

I'm totally with you about the season tickets. It's VERY annoying seeing all the lower seats empty, yet they are "sold". It took me forever, but I finally got into the lower seats only to see every seat to my right and left empty every game. It's a bad look. I understand big companies don't care about the money and just write the check, but something should change.

Do you think the seats are empty because the people don’t care? Or because the football team is in a down spot? I’m only asking because UTEP has not fielded a competitive/fun product in years. I understand that not attending games while buying tickets is a bad look but at least they’re supporting UTEP Athletics financially as opposed to canceling their tickets. Then you would have no fans and no revenue.

Do you think the seats are empty because the people don’t care? Or because the football team is in a down spot? I’m only asking because UTEP has not fielded a competitive/fun product in years. I understand that not attending games while buying tickets is a bad look but at least they’re supporting UTEP Athletics financially as opposed to canceling their tickets. Then you would have no fans and no revenue.
That's not the point and NONE of the fans should have to cancel their tickets.

If you have 2 fans with equal value seats, and one fan never comes to the game, who should get the better seat location?

Last edited:
Lol at complaining about empty sold seats. It’s unenforceable. If you buy tickets and don’t show, that’s your problem. Stuff comes up, etc. Do you really think UTEP is going to sell $30 a seat tickets to see Norfolk St anyway? Those “good seats” only get sold for good games, season tickets, and when UTEP is good.

If UTEP made it worthwhile the go, more people would.

You can’t force someone to go to a game. Ridiculous.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

As one of the members of the Inagural UTEP Athletics Fan Council, I would like to use this thread as way for you the fan to lend your voice to the effort to promote lasting changes that will restore glory and a renewed sense of pride to UTEP Miner Athletics. We had a very eye-opening and informative meeting with the new Athletics Director and came away inpressed with his focus on making things better, his openess to listen to new ideas and solutions, and his commitment to lead the UTEP Athletics Department in a way that will make us proud to support the University and its Student Athletes.

I ask that you give me your thoughts, make comments and also provide solutions so that I may present them to the AD and my fellow Fan Council Members. I will also provide feedback and answer questions as best I can. At the end of the day... I am a fan, I want to see the teams be successful, I want to sit in a sold out Sun Bowl Stadium and a rawkus Don (at a fair price), and for the length of my 1-year term... I want to represent you! #EPMAD

C.Merritt c/o 2014

Reactions: jdubb66
Bring back "Dynamite" the old UTEP sidekick of Paydirt Pete.

For you guys on here, no I am not going to let this die! LOL! VIVA DYNAMITE!

Reactions: Dmanminer
WE NEED YOUR HELP!

As one of the members of the Inagural UTEP Athletics Fan Council, I would like to use this thread as way for you the fan to lend your voice to the effort to promote lasting changes that will restore glory and a renewed sense of pride to UTEP Miner Athletics. We had a very eye-opening and informative meeting with the new Athletics Director and came away inpressed with his focus on making things better, his openess to listen to new ideas and solutions, and his commitment to lead the UTEP Athletics Department in a way that will make us proud to support the University and its Student Athletes.

I ask that you give me your thoughts, make comments and also provide solutions so that I may present them to the AD and my fellow Fan Council Members. I will also provide feedback and answer questions as best I can. At the end of the day... I am a fan, I want to see the teams be successful, I want to sit in a sold out Sun Bowl Stadium and a rawkus Don (at a fair price), and for the length of my 1-year term... I want to represent you! #EPMAD

C.Merritt c/o 2014
Amen Chant!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT