ADVERTISEMENT

First UTEP Fan Council Meeting

One big suggestion from an out-of-town alum, I would really like to see better engagement with those of us who are not in EP. Having the football team come to San Antonio is great, but it's every other year. Yes, we do get one women's and one men's game, but it would help the chapters/networks grow if there was a more organized effort. I know there are a bazillion NCAA dos and don'ts, but there has to be something.
I will raise this issue.

I think we all understand what you are saying. I agree with the later start time, but to some it doesn't matter. Those people are gonna come or not come anyway.

Now, carimflow said he/she would ask at the next meeting and give you an answer. Give it a chance. There might be a legit reason or they might see there was a mistake. Patience my friend.
Actually, I'm pretty chill about it. It would be hard to change game times for this coming season as a whole. Just looking forward....

Reactions: axingfools1
Senter said an app would be too expensive.
He never said an app would be too expensive. His exact words were “there are numerous costs doing this.” Could he be referring to the actual cost of the rewards and not the method which rewards are tracked?

Reactions: develman
He never said an app would be too expensive. His exact words were “there are numerous costs doing this.” Could he be referring to the actual cost of the rewards and not the method which rewards are tracked?
I’m sure there are costs associated with an app. Building it, and maintaining it as well.

I just googled it and there are sites that say it costs anywhere from 25,000 for a bare bones app to upwards of 1,000,000.

Screw it. Make season ticket holder cards for every ticket holder. Punch the damn thing every time they come in. Last home game throw it in one of those bingo ball things that spins if it’s completed...

Last edited:
Reactions: El Paso 1

He was talking about the way the rewards are tracked.

I’m sure there are costs associated with an app. Building it, and maintaining it as well.

I just googled it and there are sites that say it costs anywhere from 25,000 for a bare bones app to upwards of 1,000,000.

Screw it. Make season ticket holder cards for every ticket holder. Punch the damn thing every time they come in. Last home game throw it in one of those bingo ball things that spins if it’s completed...

Exactly. It's too expensive for UTEP.

Point still stands he never said an app was too expensive. Those were your words.

Senter already said he looked into the idea and he said conceptually it would be nice, but there are numerous costs. So, in other words, it's too expensive for UTEP.

Senter already said he looked into the idea and he said conceptually it would be nice, but there are numerous costs. So, in other words, it's too expensive for UTEP.
Exactly that’s more accurate. He referred to Oklahoma St as an example but I think he might be confusing them with Iowa St. since the Cyclones do have a reward system for attending games and I could find nothing on OSU.

Iowa St a Big 12 school with far more resources than us didn’t use an app. They use some sort of card swipe to keep track of attendance. I highly doubt an app was included in the numerous costs associated with such a rewards program for us.

Border City Ale House has an app and if I was informed correctly, it cost them about $800 for theirs. The monthly fee is about $100 to maintain it. I can't image the cost to be that much different. We aren't talking millions of users for either the Ale House or UTEP.
As for the giveaways or promotional stuff, most little stuff would just be a writeoff anyway. The big stuff would be the costly things that would hopefully drive attendance, which in turn drives revenue. They could probably get that offset with a sponsor.

This is a VERY doable project....

Reactions: Dmanminer
Border City Ale House has an app and if I was informed correctly, it cost them about $800 for theirs. The monthly fee is about $100 to maintain it. I can't image the cost to be that much different. We aren't talking millions of users for either the Ale House or UTEP.
As for the giveaways or promotional stuff, most little stuff would just be a writeoff anyway. The big stuff would be the costly things that would hopefully drive attendance, which in turn drives revenue. They could probably get that offset with a sponsor.

This is a VERY doable project....

I checked out the Border City Alehouse App and it says “The App has been canceled”. Don’t know what happened there.

I guess one problem i could see with an app is what content could it provide other than the information provided on the athletic dept website. You look at The Dallas Cowboys app, they give you previews, post game interviews. Press conferences and podcasts from writers, along with information about the stadium and a link to their twitter. But they are able to constantly add new content daily because they have a staff of writers, and media people so they are ultimately giving fans a reason to keep using the app.

UTEP obviously doesn’t have the resources to do that nor do they have many people who want that much information. So that level of interaction in completely unnecessary. So would an app just be a watered down version of the athletic department website?

I don't have the Ale house app, so I didn't know. I'll tell my buddies. LOL
It USED to do push reminders of upcoming events. Maybe they didn't see and ROI.....IDK

There are a lot of folks active on social media from UTEP. It would seem if you spread it all around, it could stay updated....just my 2 cents...

First off this is minergabe, my log in wasn't working so I had to make this handle. Here are my suggestions none the less, I hope they make it to an official fan council discussion.

1. Make the "out in the west texas" Fight Song our primary. That "new" one that the band director made up a few years ago needs to go. I know he was trying to start something new and different but its got to go.

2. Play the "Miners Fight" aka Texas Fight occasionally, still part of our history even though its the Texas Fight Song.

3. Sell a small portion of general admission tickets to at howdy's/albertsons to men's football/basketball games. It will make it easier than standing in line at the ticket office on game day which usually has long lines.

4. Encourage more vendors throughout the city to sell utep merchandise and let some of the local printshops have some leeway making their own shirts and selling them.

5. Keep flooding social media and encourage more local businesses to fly UTEP flags on game day.

6. Sponsor some 5k Runs where you get a shirt and a GA ticket for the race fee. I'm sure Chris Rowley at Up and Running would help out, he's a bigtime UTEP supporter and season ticket holder.

1. & 2. The UTEP Fight song already is the primary song. It's the one played most often. Texas/Miners Fight is only played at specific predetermined times. The other song you're thinking of is "Miner Victory". It's actually not new, but was "lost" for years and rediscovered a few years back.

Reactions: minergabe2
The reason a 7 pm kickoff is better is simply this....El Paso is a working class town. Folks here have to work during the day and having the game later gives them a chance to get off work, get changed, go tailgate for a bit, then enjoy the game.
That's it in a nutshell....

I hate when people say that El paso is working town. What is El Paso the only city that has people working??

I hate when people say that El paso is working town. What is El Paso the only city that has people working??

Working class is different. There’s not a great amount of 6 figure jobs here. It is quite possible more people have other part-time jobs then other citys would.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
I don't have the Ale house app, so I didn't know. I'll tell my buddies. LOL
It USED to do push reminders of upcoming events. Maybe they didn't see and ROI.....IDK

There are a lot of folks active on social media from UTEP. It would seem if you spread it all around, it could stay updated....just my 2 cents...

I just wonder if there would be any need to have an app. If The Athletic Department doesn’t add content, then how are you going to constantly add content on an app? If anything they should work really hard to get the Athletic Department’s website jam packed with content before they roll out an app that would be virtually useless. You know?

They could add schedules...news updates....signings....twitter updates.....and this can all be pushed to your phone via the app

Reactions: Dmanminer
It's not like I'm smart enough to make this shit up. It's a fact. Folks DO work Saturdays in EP......Get out and look.....

It's not like I'm smart enough to make this shit up. It's a fact. Folks DO work Saturdays in EP......Get out and look.....

Very true. People do work on weekends, I do at times. However, to make it an excuse, reason, crutch, (insert synonym here) to not sell out or get a substantial number of people to a game is not a valid reason. Metro (counting El Paso) of 700,000 and we’re only asking for 45-50,000 on a Saturday

It's just ONE of many reasons. The biggest is wins....But if you wanna get butts in the seats, you need to consider demographics. We don't have a lot of money to spend, and we want to support the cool thing in town (winners). If you schedule games early and folks work or they have to rush to even make the games, why would they? It's not happening, it hasn't in the past, and it's a recipe for failure.
We had home games at 7 for friggin ever.. We had good crowds when we sucked ass....I was there....were you? We changed the times for whatever reason, lost games, took the fun away, and look at us now....

For the record...never EVER EVER EVER have the kids fun zone. It takes people OUT of the stadium and away from the games....

I agree with UTEPfan. The game isn’t on TV so you want people at the game. Later start makes it easier for more people to go. Many fans with younger families will leave when they’re ready to go. Now they might not go because of it being hot.

We had home games at 7 for friggin ever.. We had good crowds when we sucked ass....I was there....were you? We changed the times for whatever reason, lost games, took the fun away, and look at us now....
Are you referring to the old WAC days when the games started at 7 and there were good crowds? In those days we played BYU, UTAH, UNM, etc.... Big difference compared to these current CUSA schools that nobody cares about. Attendance would have been just as bad as it is now if we played these current CUSA teams back in those days.

If you schedule games early and folks work or they have to rush to even make the games, why would they? It's not happening, it hasn't in the past, and it's a recipe for failure.

For the record...never EVER EVER EVER have the kids fun zone. It takes people OUT of the stadium and away from the games....

Well, by reading that changing the times=lost games=no fun=current state. Hard to justify that for the past decades since the last bowl win, but, if you believe that then more power to you

As far as for the fun zone. Made sense prior to the game, by during. If they want to do something for the kids, before or after, not during.

Are you referring to the old WAC days when the games started at 7 and there were good crowds? In those days we played BYU, UTAH, UNM, etc.... Big difference compared to these current CUSA schools that nobody cares about. Attendance would have been just as bad as it is now if we played these current CUSA teams back in those days.

The games changed to 7 P.M. in 2011.

Last edited:
I went to a San Antonio game in March and they dropped tiny little parachutes from the rafters that had prizes in them. This is probably similar to the blimp idea but with less risk.

The sound and lighting systems in the DHC is in desperate need. I love good hype music, intros and videos. Those really get me pumped for the games and I imagine it pumps the players too. Just go to any NBA game and there are ideas galore.

Also, if the rafters/roof can support those bulky speakers then why not a square scoreboard with video screens? Maybe one of you structural engineers can explain that one.

I got rid of my season tickets 2 years ago. I got tired of Floyd, but before that I asked for at least 3 consecutive years to move down and be more towards the middle. I had 4 seats. I was told the seats where sold, but they were empty 90% of the time. Is there a way to get people that come to every game the better seats while giving the coorporations or businesses the other seats? It would take some monitoring and assigned seating, but it could be done. Why would anybody pay big bucks for seats when there are better seats of equivalent value that are empty? Also, more recently, I can just buy cheaper seats and move down. Most people are doing this.
Regarding the last paragraph, you are so right! I agree 100% with you and that’s why there are so many empty seats in the lower levels. What bothers me more is the last part of your statement, fans paying general admission price and when they see there are empty seats, they move down (which is what you’re doing). It is totally unfair these fans end up with better seats than me when I am paying way more. That is all UTEP’s fault for allowing that and not checking tickets.

I'm totally with you about the season tickets. It's VERY annoying seeing all the lower seats empty, yet they are "sold". It took me forever, but I finally got into the lower seats only to see every seat to my right and left empty every game. It's a bad look. I understand big companies don't care about the money and just write the check, but something should change.
UTEP administration if you read these message boards (hint), read this post!

UTEP administration if you read these message boards (hint), read this post!
I like the direction of UTEP athletics over the past few months. It's going to take time, but I am willing to renew my season tickets to help out and get good seats for basketball. 4 seats is not chump change and I WILL BE AT THE GAMES. I just hope that when I talk to the people at the office they don't give the same line of crap that all the seats are taken.

Exactly why the UTEP administration needs to read these posts on this thread. Many times I’ve considered renewing my tickets but for the cheapest I can get and during the games move down to a nicer seat. UTEP could be losing money if other fans are doing this. It is very demoralizing seeing fans do that.

UTSA should be our rival. They are the school we should be most concerned about. I wish we would have handled things differently and this wasn't the case but this is our reality. My number pet peeve about UTEP athletics is the constant propping up of the non-existent rivalry with NMSU. I really wish Senter would have dropped them from the schedule in all sports. Propping up that non existent rivalry has held back UTEP athletics. When I saw Senter embrace it and promote it on social media I almost threw my computer out the window.
NMSU is a rival but nothing is forever. UTSA is a conference rival but UTEP remembers all too well "I thought we had each others back?!" WAC days [Natalicio's reaction to UNM during those dark days].

Nobody thinks their rivalry with UTEP is valuable and important to retain. UTSA and NMSU would drop UTEP in NY minute if MW came calling for them and not UTEP, don't ya think? UTEP needs to worry about UTEP. UTEP has come far since those dark WAC days and took two steps back with former coaches in the revenue sports but there appears to be a strong, sincere and dedicated approach to move forward and put UTEP on stronger footing to be tops in CUSA. If UTSA is a puzzle that strengthens that approach, then so be it. But we're fooling ourselves to tip the scales to one rival over another. But, when historical facts come into play it's tough to argue against.

NMSU is a rival but nothing is forever. UTSA is a conference rival but UTEP remembers all too well "I thought we had each others back?!" WAC days [Natalicio's reaction to UNM during those dark days].

Nobody thinks their rivalry with UTEP is valuable and important to retain. UTSA and NMSU would drop UTEP in NY minute if MW came calling for them and not UTEP, don't ya think? UTEP needs to worry about UTEP. UTEP has come far since those dark WAC days and took two steps back with former coaches in the revenue sports but there appears to be a strong, sincere and dedicated approach to move forward and put UTEP on stronger footing to be tops in CUSA. If UTSA is a puzzle that strengthens that approach, then so be it. But we're fooling ourselves to tip the scales to one rival over another. But, when historical facts come into play it's tough to argue against.

Whole heartedly agree. Separated by less than 45 miles. Catchy name to the rivalry. Almost 100 meetings on the gridiron. 200 battles on the hardwood. It’s one of the longest standing rivalries in the nation.

Can’t disagree more about it holding UTEP back. The only thing that has held UTEP back is complacency and lack of vision at the administrative level. I hate losing to nmsu but I’d hate it the rivalry ended.

Whole heartedly agree. Separated by less than 45 miles. Catchy name to the rivalry. Almost 100 meetings on the gridiron. 200 battles on the hardwood. It’s one of the longest standing rivalries in the nation.

Can’t disagree more about it holding UTEP back. The only thing that has held UTEP back is complacency and lack of vision at the administrative level. I hate losing to nmsu but I’d hate it the rivalry ended.

I agree 110% with UTEP's complacency and lack of vision holding it back. I've been very very vocal about that. However, part of the complacency has been the propping up of the NMSU rivalry. Numbers dont lie subce 2000 NMSU has never been the highest attended home football game in any season. Its is very rarely if ever the highest attended basketball game. NMSU does not move the needle for most UTEP fans.

As for complacency the rivalry with NMSU just adds to complacency.New Mexico is a poor state. They can't support two d-1 programs. UNM is the flagship and will always be the stronger better funded program. NMSU faces barriers that will always hold them down. I'm very impressed with what they've done there lately, Mocia will get a job at a p5 school in the next year. However, that's the ceiling for their success, no conference for football is huge problem. Even if Stull was running thr status quo for the next ten years we would beat them consistently in football. The November hoops games are utterly meaningless. NMSU is like having a small guy on the block to pick on. You can be lazy sit on your ass all day and still kick that guys ass. Meanwhile all the other guys on the the block are working out and more often than not kicking your ass. To divert attention from your obvious shortcomings and to prevent making the changes neccessary to compete you constantly highlight you can still beat the little guy. That's what UTEP has done through the years. Dont look at everyone else kicking our ass passing us by, look at the fact we can still beat NMSU, the status quo is fine.

From a business prospective propping up a non existent rivalry is dumbest fu***** thing I've ever heard of. El Paso is a small market. Its smaller than the Rio grande valley market and has tv market smaller than Waco's. The good thing is that UTEP dominates the market. The bad thing is that by propping up a non existent rivalry with NMSU they give them a piece of small market they shouldn't have. El Paso is a small market dont share it. If UTEP quit playing NMSU it would severely damage NNSU's finances and diminish their local coverage. That's just common sense take as much market share as possible kill off the small competitors. You dont share a market especially a small one with a smaller competitor and give them market share.

I agree 110% with UTEP's complacency and lack of vision holding it back. I've been very very vocal about that. However, part of the complacency has been the propping up of the NMSU rivalry. Numbers dont lie subce 2000 NMSU has never been the highest attended home football game in any season. Its is very rarely if ever the highest attended basketball game. NMSU does not move the needle for most UTEP fans.

As for complacency the rivalry with NMSU just adds to complacency.New Mexico is a poor state. They can't support two d-1 programs. UNM is the flagship and will always be the stronger better funded program. NMSU faces barriers that will always hold them down. I'm very impressed with what they've done there lately, Mocia will get a job at a p5 school in the next year. However, that's the ceiling for their success, no conference for football is huge problem. Even if Stull was running thr status quo for the next ten years we would beat them consistently in football. The November hoops games are utterly meaningless. NMSU is like having a small guy on the block to pick on. You can be lazy sit on your ass all day and still kick that guys ass. Meanwhile all the other guys on the the block are working out and more often than not kicking your ass. To divert attention from your obvious shortcomings and to prevent making the changes neccessary to compete you constantly highlight you can still beat the little guy. That's what UTEP has done through the years. Dont look at everyone else kicking our ass passing us by, look at the fact we can still beat NMSU, the status quo is fine.

From a business prospective propping up a non existent rivalry is dumbest fu***** thing I've ever heard of. El Paso is a small market. Its smaller than the Rio grande valley market and has tv market smaller than Waco's. The good thing is that UTEP dominates the market. The bad thing is that by propping up a non existent rivalry with NMSU they give them a piece of small market they shouldn't have. El Paso is a small market dont share it. If UTEP quit playing NMSU it would severely damage NNSU's finances and diminish their local coverage. That's just common sense take as much market share as possible kill off the small competitors. You dont share a market especially a small one with a smaller competitor and give them market share.

Our far different perspectives ensure that we will never see eye to eye on this. We are not even “playing” on the same field, so to speak.

In addition, think you are throwing too many blanket statements out there. You’re speaking for far too many people and the evidence doesn’t back up your claims. Perhaps the rivalry is not the most attended game(s) of the season, but nor is it the least either. Does any other team stir up as much passion on this board as NMSU? Not by a long shot. Our season is not “propped up” by this rivalry, but nor is it rendered meaningless because of it. Winning/losing games outside of this rivalry is what will make or break us each season. If anyone appears to be putting too much into this rivalry, I’d tend to think it’s you with your “black or white”, “make or break” thinking. Just sayin’.

November hoops games with NMSU are meaningless? Then so are any and every other November, December, January and February games. I don’t get that line of thinking at all. They are just games on the schedule that get the die hards riled up. We have 30 or so of these “meaningless” games each year. Personally, I’d miss the rivalry if it died out...even though we’ve been on the short end for the last half decade.

I don’t see Waco on this list unless it’s added in with Austin. You’re right about the rio grande valley (87) as they lump in 4 cities
https://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

As far as the NMSU rivalry is concerned. Maybe we should blame our college of mines of the university of Texas (its correct name at the time) folks in the past to want to play against NM A&M (their name at the time).

Undoing 90+ years of a rivalry isn’t easy. Good luck to you sir.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
I don’t see Waco on this list unless it’s added in with Austin. You’re right about the rio grande valley (87) as they lump in 4 cities
https://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

As far as the NMSU TIL art is concerned. Maybe we should blame our college of mines of the university of Texas (its correct name at the time) folks in the past to want to play against NM A&M (their name at the time).

Undoing 90+ years of a rivalry isn’t easy. Good luck to you sir.

Waco is on the list three spots ahead of El Paso

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT