ADVERTISEMENT

Game 1 OPT: UTEP at Nebraska

Dangnabbit to the ghosts of UTEP's past!! C'mon Coach Scotty, give us Miner fans something to down the top shelf stuff Saturday night!

Second, while Rhule has brought in the top qb in the country, he is a true freshman and has not played one live fire FBS game. Husker's qb play has been not so B10 like the last two years; however, experts have them as B10 contenders. UTEP has a notorious reputation allowing young strong arm qb's have a major field day the past twenty five years, FBS or FCS, from Josh Heupel (OU, 2000) to Bailey Zappe (HBU/WKU, 2019) and Zach Calzada (IWU, 2023). Don't expect a pic from Raiola under UTEP's new 3-3-5. He protects the ball well for an arm slinger. "Raiola threw just one interception on 250 pass attempts as a senior and only 11 interceptions on 878 attempts over the past three years" (high school career)-CBSSports.com.

I do expect UTEP to get at least get a sack or two, at the very least. Westmoreland is a beast. UTEP will score against Rhule's defense.

But Coach Scotty has shown he does not play "just pick up the check on the way out" football like Kugler and Dimel (He played to win against Northwestern last year but fell apart in second half). UTEP will fight but by the fourth quarter, I predict Nebraska will totally take over.

UTEP 27
Huskers 45

This is a new era of UTEP football!
We’ve never had a coach expecting to win.
To all the naysayers here, give the new regime time before you turn on them.
Our previous history means nothing to them or the new players.
GO UTEP!

GO UTEP!

UTEP Head Coach Mike Price​

"Our expectation was to win the game and we didn't do that. We were beat soundly. I'm disappointed because the players have done everything that I've asked them to do. They took it serious, they were prepared, they expected to win, but we didn't play very well. We had too many turnovers and we knew going into the game that turnovers would be a problem for us. We couldn't turn the ball over and expect to win. We made some mistakes and I made some mistakes. I had a few calls from the first half that I would like to take back too. It was a learning situation for us and against a good team and a good quarterback. Our guys a sophomore and their guy's a senior, and he played like a veteran."

"They did prepare and they need to keep believing in themselves. This program is going to work and this system is going to work. They're a team. They weren't bickering, they were supportive down to the last play and I think they've come together. They are not the same team that they were."​

Reactions: MinerManiac
UTEP - 14
NEB - 45

Prop bet - Announcers say Raiola looks like Mahomes over 5 times.

Raiola throws 4 tds and runs 1 in.

Last edited:
I don’t put much stock in the 'he’s just a freshman' talk. I've seen us turn opposing CUSA walk-ons, third-stringers, and freshman QBs into Heisman candidates before.
Yup. But "hope springs eternal". 😁

UTEP - 14
NEB - 45

Prop bet - Announcers say Raiola looks like Mahomes over 5 times.

Raiola throws 4 tds and runs 1 in.
Kid puts a nice touch on the ball watchin this clip of scrimmage. Appears to show good maturity. Still wondering how Rhule had him flip from Georgia to Nebraska?

Kid puts a nice touch on the ball watchin this clip of scrimmage. Appears to show good maturity. Still wondering how Rhule had him flip from Georgia to Nebraska?

Watched their spring game and was impressed by his skills and frame. He's a big dude that can sling it and make every throw. Have a bad feeling we're gonna see the start of his Heisman campaign.

UTEP Head Coach Mike Price​

"Our expectation was to win the game and we didn't do that. We were beat soundly. I'm disappointed because the players have done everything that I've asked them to do. They took it serious, they were prepared, they expected to win, but we didn't play very well. We had too many turnovers and we knew going into the game that turnovers would be a problem for us. We couldn't turn the ball over and expect to win. We made some mistakes and I made some mistakes. I had a few calls from the first half that I would like to take back too. It was a learning situation for us and against a good team and a good quarterback. Our guys a sophomore and their guy's a senior, and he played like a veteran."

"They did prepare and they need to keep believing in themselves. This program is going to work and this system is going to work. They're a team. They weren't bickering, they were supportive down to the last play and I think they've come together. They are not the same team that they were."​
Three coaches and how many years ago?
And probably the last “real” coach we had.

Three coaches and how many years ago?
And probably the last “real” coach we had.
Just pointing out that a previous coach with much more FBS experience at a higher level than Walden also went into his first game expecting a win. Making your silly statement false.

Watched their spring game and was impressed by his skills and frame. He's a big dude that can sling it and make every throw. Have a bad feeling we're gonna see the start of his Heisman campaign.
I hope UTEP is watching Western Michigan vs Wisconsin right now. Coach Lance Taylor has them going after it.

Reactions: develman
Just pointing out that a previous coach with much more FBS experience at a higher level than Walden also went into his first game expecting a win. Making your silly statement false.
Just pointing out that Kugler And Dismel were terrible head coaches. If they admitted it or not, many of UTEP coaches didn’t believe they had a chance against the “ money” opponents. You can’t deny that.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
GO UTEP!
Price went into game one wanting to upset ASU. Palmer threw a critical pic late in the game.

But with all damn crap talking by UTEP fans and NU was no 2003 ASU team, I predict Nebraska to lay the wood (Miner fans on social media said it was all in jest) a la 2002 UTEP vs Kentucky ugliness which ended mercifully 77-17.

NU 68
UTEP 20

• Wow
Reactions: nattybry
Price went into game one wanting to upset ASU. Palmer threw a critical pic late in the game.

But with all damn crap talking by UTEP fans and NU was no 2003 ASU team, I predict Nebraska to lay the wood (Miner fans on social media said it was all in jest) a la 2002 UTEP vs Kentucky ugliness which ended mercifully 77-17.

NU 68
UTEP 20
That pic when the score was 41-6 was the nail in the coffin who knows how it would have ended without it.

Who keeps it closer UTEP vs Nebraska or Austin Peay vs Louisville?

Is fubo the best place to stream all games for Utep? It’s so expensive but it has Oregon and Utep games just curious as to what people use to stream the games

Might affect the TV station. PSU vs WVU is currently showing on FOX. MLB is scheduled for 5PM. 2nd half was about to kickoff

Is fubo the best place to stream all games for Utep? It’s so expensive but it has Oregon and Utep games just curious as to what people use to stream the games
Fubo or Hulu Live. Just depends on what your priority is. UTEP has 4 CBSSN games, but luckily they’re all within a month of each other.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Can you tell us when a coach went into a game wanting to lose? Talk about saying something just to hear your own voice!
I don’t think it’s a question of “wanting to lose”. But look at Dimel and Kugler… those guys refused to open up, ran the ball and tried to bleed the clock because they just wanted to get out as soon as possible. So maybe it wasn’t spoken but their game plan said otherwise. And I’m sure plenty of coaches do that because they don’t want to make it uglier than they have to.

Keeping it close would tell us a lot.
I suppose it would have. But because we didn’t keep it close, I don’t think that is necessarily indicative of how this season will go. Beyond that, I don’t even think this initial season will necessarily tell us a whole lot about the Walden era as a whole.

I suppose it would have. But because we didn’t keep it close, I don’t think that is necessarily indicative of how this season will go. Beyond that, I don’t even think this initial season will necessarily tell us a whole lot about the Walden era as a whole.
You're right. It often seems like success comes easily to others while we have to work much harder for it. And sometimes, despite our efforts, we might never see it at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT