ADVERTISEMENT

Good day for UTEP athletics

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
After a terrible athletic year for the revenue sports, we finally have some good news. Wichita State is officially in the AAC. There has been alot of smoke around UTEP returning to the MWC, the last few years. The two big roadblocks have been Wichita State and BYU. BYU isn't going back to the mountain west. Wichita State has been a target of the Mountain West, they are now off the board. UTEP is closer to returning to the MWC than ever before.I dont want to use the word inevitable because of the incompetence of the administration. However, this is pretty damn close to inevitable. Dont screw this up Bob.

Reactions: unihorn
You dont get it do you? We have to stick with our Texas brethren! Wherever TCU, SMU and Houston go - we go right with them, thats the way...

Wait I'm being told they moved on to better conferences without us

We have to stick with UTSA, Rice and North Texas if we want to survive in college athletics

Reactions: Carlosergio
I've heard you say this before and I want to believe you're right. Have you heard anything on who the 14th member would be?

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
After a terrible athletic year for the revenue sports, we finally have some good news. Wichita State is officially in the AAC. There has been alot of smoke around UTEP returning to the MWC, the last few years. The two big roadblocks have been Wichita State and BYU. BYU isn't going back to the mountain west. Wichita State has been a target of the Mountain West, they are now off the board. UTEP is closer to returning to the MWC than ever before.I dont want to use the word inevitable because of the incompetence of the administration. However, this is pretty damn close to inevitable. Dont screw this up Bob.
I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that the MWC would have been interested in a university, Wichita St, that doesn't even have a football program. I don't follow the MWC much anymore, so I'm not up to date on league speculation; so if they were waiting on Wichita to make a decision before adding another team, then I would be pleasantly surprised.

Somehow, I don't think Wichita st has any influence on our chances to get into the MWC. Either way, there are plenty of other universities that the MWC might target over us. Our major athletic programs have been in the dredges for some time now.

In any case, is the MWC a step up? I get that we have history with some of the remaining programs, but at this point it seems like a lateral move at best....

Reactions: kickballpro
The MW is most definitely a step up. In basketball they have been a consistent top 10 league for the past 19 years. In some seasons they have been a top five league. Even on down years with UNM and UNLV underachieving they are still better than CUSA can be.

In football with Boise St they will always be in the Access Bowl conversation. The bowl tie ins are an improvement from our current lineup. The tv payout is almost a million more per team. They get to play most games on ESPN and CBS Sports. Channels that are available on regular cable. Not some shitty internet stream that's as a good as those illegal streams.

The overall perception is much better in the MW. At this point a move from the sun belt to CUSA could be considered a down grade.

Disagree, UTEP brings nothing to the table for any type of conference movement talk right now in our current state....

Today, Army just offered El Paso's best 2018 football ATH who can be a legit FBS slot WR before UTEP has even offered, and Tim Floyd is still the head coach of our basketball team and will have more unproven freshman than upperclassmen for the third straight season, I believe. Those incompetent coaches ain't making UTEP look sexy in terms of W's and on field improvement. That's our biggest problem right now which trickles down to $$$ and butts in the seats as we all well know.

Just a typical day of mediocre and stuck in the mud work that leads to check collecting in the UTEP Athletics offices.....

Conference realignment ain't shining this turd Bob has dropped on fans over the past eight years or so and the MWC surely is watching how Bob was unable to capture momentum after the magical years from 2004-2006 with facilities, healthy Sun Bowl crowds, and NCAA tournaments....

It's a nice thought that WSU moving to the AAC helps us get out of Crap-USA, but we need to clean house and/or win meaningful games in football and hoops before "good days" can happen imo...

In any case, is the MWC a step up? I get that we have history with some of the remaining programs, but at this point it seems like a lateral move at best....

Yes, it is clearly a step above CUSA. Even though they have been a 1 bid league the past two years, they are still considered to be a stronger basketball conference. They did take a decent hit with the departure of Utah and BYU.

Havent looked at the football in depth but Id say MW is also a much better fit in that sport. Im not sure how the money situation for TV contracts is but none of this matters if they dont want UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT