ADVERTISEMENT

Hometown heroes are the cream of UTEP's crop

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Looking up and down the roster you'll spot talent from right here in El Paso is toping out the depth charts. That hasn't happened in many years if ever. We can obviously talk about Aaron Jones and now Ryan Metz but there's also Derrick Elmendorf who is arguably our best lineman and there's Alvin Jones who is arguably our best linebacker. Our punter is also from EP I believe. Nice to see kids from here doing so well.

Reactions: miner661
Oh, I thought you were talking about the fans that go to the games.

You know how that goes, the bandwagon starts getting empty when the miners lose but once they win a few in a row there's no room to climb on it.

This isn't about the won loss record. This about how far EP football has come. This is one of Kugler's big bright spots on a questionable coaching season after the loss of Jones. IMO

The freshman punter is from EP Franklin. He's actually doing a really solid job with that rugby style punting.

I agree, El Paso football has come a very long way and very smart of Kugler to go after the best talent we have to offer.

The chance for a local kid being recruited by an out of town div.1 program and having some playing time are slim. The reality is a kid will get lost in the shuffle with a "higher star" recruit. It is very tempting for a kid to want to leave his hometown. Coach Kug has made it very clear and has proven that if you work hard you could be a star in your own town. I hope our local talent continue to see the benefits of staying home.

It's always nice to see our kids prove they can compete. I am grateful to Coach Kug for giving this young men a chance
to showcase their talent.

GO Miners....

The fact that so many players are not only starting at UTEP but they are productive players says a lot about the quality of EP football. I'm glad Kugler is dedicated to finding the best local talent and keeping it in El Paso

Don't we have a few EP guys grayshirting right now also? Also, does anyone know anything bout Richie Rodriguez being recruited by UTEP? Would love it if that kid stayed home.

The kid is 5'9" but has tons of speed. He is very elusive. Cole Beasley is 5' 8", 174 lbs. He plays in the he NFL. Don't knock a kid for his size.

I like how quick he gets to the second level and great vision. Utep would be lucky to have him, he's an impact player like Jones, just has that second sense to get the ball forward, I had that back in the day

So in a couple of years, Rich Rodriguez from Arizona will go up against Richie Rodriguez from UTEP.

From MinerRush

"The 5'10 play maker already has 872 yards receiving with a 21.8 yard per reception average, and leads the city with 13 receiving touchdowns in his first five games this season.

Rodriguez has gone over 150 yards receiving in four of his five games this year, racking up four touchdowns, 289 yards on 11 catches in a win earlier this season against Canutillo."

Goes on to say that UTEP has 6 verbals from local players. I'm extremely glad we're getting so much local talent.

These local kids have a chance to become home town heroes like Paul Smith, Elmedorf, Robert Rodriguez and the Jones brothers. Glad to see Kugler and staff are targeting El Paso area talent.

Reactions: mextex915
I hope we keep on tapping into Las Cruces area talent. That Mayfield running back looks really good.

Andress had two Standout WR in c/o 2015. 6'5" Rashad Still and 6'2" Elden Coleman. We all know Still committed to Big 10 and Coleman accepted the Best D2 offer he received to SNU. Both played as True Freshman this fall. Still completing his season with over 180 yds and 2 TDs, Coleman with 191 yds and 2 TDs. UTEP did not offer neither player a scholarship. Andress WRs are now generalized in the category as the Andress 2014 WR UTEP recruited who did not perform as expected. Both are just as talented as Rodriguez. Poor judgement on CSK part; missed opportunity to keep EP talent in EP. Yet he offers a 5'10" WR. Good thing Rodriguez does not attend Andress. Happy for the athlete nonetheless.

Coleman One Handed Catch at SNU

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1414079/elden-coleman

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1414106/rashad-still

Last edited:
I hope UTEP can land Bullit, the WR that played at Chapin. This kid has great size an speed.

These local kids have a chance to become home town heroes like Paul Smith, Elmedorf, Robert Rodriguez and the Jones brothers. Glad to see Kugler and staff are targeting El Paso area talent.

And a nice mix with out of town talent. As per Scout.com, UTEP is looking at a JUCO safety Kyle Trego, Diablo Valley JC (Pleasant Hills, CA). His only offer is from Eastern Michigan and is getting sniffs from MTSU and SDSU. Landing solid transfers like Plinke also helps. Kugler is beating the recruiting unseen bush that is for sure. He may need to pluck a big time JUCO receiver. The two he got last spring did not appear to pan out. One is constantly hurt and the other had a ton of drops and an unimpressive fall camp making UTEP redshirt him and have the media claim "UTEP is loaded at receiver".

tumblr_ndxgq3zUGS1tc0l4eo3_500.gif

Next year, this is what I want to see a Kugler team do to a La Tech type opponent.....slowly pound then, then finish them!!

[gif video source: "Fury" 2014]

And a nice mix with out of town talent. As per Scout.com, UTEP is looking at a JUCO safety Kyle Trego, Diablo Valley JC (Pleasant Hills, CA). His only offer is from Eastern Michigan and is getting sniffs from MTSU and SDSU. Landing solid transfers like Plinke also helps. Kugler is beating the recruiting unseen bush that is for sure. He may need to pluck a big time JUCO receiver. The two he got last spring did not appear to pan out. One is constantly hurt and the other had a ton of drops and an unimpressive fall camp making UTEP redshirt him and have the media claim "UTEP is loaded at receiver".

Juniels injury may have been the biggest loss of the year. He would have prevented the special teams disasters we've had this year. He definitely would have helped us flip field position. Im excited to see him play.

Anybody know what happened to Elliot Olham? Is he still on the team? I didn't even see him in the sidelines the last couple of home games.

Michael Faimalo from Franklin High would be a great pick up for Utep. I don't think he is being to highly recruited. The kid is a beast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT