ADVERTISEMENT

How about Skip Holtz?

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
We either go with a hungry, up-and-coming assistant or we go with a veteran with a track record of success.

If the latter, why don't we consider Skip Holtz? I would love for UTEP to have a run like he had at LA Tech. And Skip Holtz was brought into Northwestern this season as a "special assistant to the head coach" to "advise" the interim coach Braun on how to run a football team. Look at the turnaround this season when nobody gave them a chance.

Heck, let him keep coaching his USFL gig since it doesn't overlap with the NCAA season.

Reactions: EPUTEP
I like it. He was making less at LT than what dimel makes. Could be a good option.

Reactions: EPUTEP
I like it. He was making less at LT than what dimel makes. Could be a good option.
Excellent option. Great mid major coach.

I remember when a Price led UTEP went up to a Skip Holtz led ECU team and his big ol hogs just pile drived UTEP. He had Ficklen stadium sold out. Went head to head against N. Carolina & NC state for some recruits. Went to USF and fired after just two years.

Solid recruiter, runs good offense, runs a clean program.

Has many coaching miles, good bowl record but conference titles lacking, USFL coach and out of college coaching for 2 years, may want more money because of extensive coaching experience and can he excite the fan base?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Can’t argue with Big though. Impressive at UNLV. Second, Skip can’t be a beggar but he is in no way toxic but rather his resume is pretty good. Part of that “No low ballers. I know what I got” sellers (if he was interested).

Excellent option. Great mid major coach.

I remember when a Price led UTEP went up to a Skip Holtz led ECU team and his big ol hogs just pile drived UTEP. He had Ficklen stadium sold out.

The game wasn't sold out.

Lets be clear, nothing is going happen until Wilson releases "low energy" Senter from his current position. I don't believe he has decided to release his "good buddy" Dimel... So, if we first let go of Senter, then the new AD can bring in his guy.
So, lets get behind the plan to dig Senter his grave ...

Don’t get the fanfare and dick riding for the UNLV OC…..bc he’s black and wears a cowboy hat?

Offensive scheme blah blah, I think you all think he’s the 2nd coming of Deion.

Much better options out there.
Didn’t see any “dick riding” for him. Didn’t see where it was mentioned he was black or wears a cowboy hat.

Looking at his resume, looks pretty qualified to me and the kind of hire UTEP needs. UTEP shouldn’t hire a guy like Holtz. He was fired at USF and LaTech. Sounds like the current bum we have. Been fired twice?!? Apply for the UTEP job and get a cushy 5 year deal and then get an extension for going to 1 bowl game!!!!

Lets be clear, nothing is going happen until Wilson releases "low energy" Senter from his current position. I don't believe he has decided to release his "good buddy" Dimel... So, if we first let go of Senter, then the new AD can bring in his guy.
So, lets get behind the plan to dig Senter his grave ...
Senter isn't going anywhere, unfortunately.

Didn’t see any “dick riding” for him. Didn’t see where it was mentioned he was black or wears a cowboy hat.

Looking at his resume, looks pretty qualified to me and the kind of hire UTEP needs. UTEP shouldn’t hire a guy like Holtz. He was fired at USF and LaTech. Sounds like the current bum we have. Been fired twice?!? Apply for the UTEP job and get a cushy 5 year deal and then get an extension for going to 1 bowl game!!!!

Eh, not impressed.

Reactions: JCorona
I’m not a fan of Skip Holtz either. There’s a reason Holtz got fired at his last two schools. We don’t need the second coming of Dimel. UTEP needs a top assistant from a winning program or a lower division football head coach with a winning pedigree. There are a few up and coming coaches looking for their chance to coach at an FBS school. UTEP needs to make a splash hire that can get the fans and community excited. Like many here, I also think we need a new AD that can shake things up and not settle for mediocrity.

He got fired cuz some schools have inflated views of themselves. One losing season and you out boy. Things looking rough for LT since they let him go. Those 9-10 win seasons with conference championship appearances looking real far now.

I’m not a fan of Skip Holtz either. There’s a reason Holtz got fired at his last two schools. We don’t need the second coming of Dimel. UTEP needs a top assistant from a winning program or a lower division football head coach with a winning pedigree. There are a few up and coming coaches looking for their chance to coach at an FBS school. UTEP needs to make a splash hire that can get the fans and community excited. Like many here, I also think we need a new AD that can shake things up and not settle for mediocrity.
He is far from the 2nd coming of Dimel. For one, he actually makes and wins bowl games... In addition his overall record is .571 as a head coach... We really do not need to look up Dimel's... I doubt Skip would take it though...

Holtz got fired from LT because he did not win a conference title. He won bowl games and made money, sold tickets and brought in good players. USF wanted it all and wanted it now. Boy did they fall hard. Way, way too premature of a firing.

I can see head hunters for UTEP reaching out but I just don't see him wanting the UTEP gig.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I would prefer someone younger, but won’t be upset foe Skip to come in. Don’t think he would want the headache of rebuilding another team .

Reactions: FedupMiner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT