ADVERTISEMENT

How many Scholarships does Football have?

Probably more than UTEP can fill with good players, considering how late to the game we're going to be with recruiting this year.

Reactions: El Paso 777
I think it's between 10 and 12. It's not very many. Kugler had very little attrition and everyone that came in redshirted.

I wonder if Dimel will do a CTF and run off undesirables(lacking talent) to bring in more desirable players(talented) especially some JC desirables.

Reactions: Get2Paydirt
I wonder if Dimel will do a CTF and run off undesirables(lacking talent) to bring in more desirable players(talented) especially some JC desirables.

It happens every coaching turnaround in college athletics. It will happen. It will be more a nice talking to that you are not going to play much here and let us find u a nice starting position at a smaller school. Some players have probably been considering transferring. I expect the roster to look a bit different.

It happens every coaching turnaround in college athletics. It will happen. It will be more a nice talking to that you are not going to play much here and let us find u a nice starting position at a smaller school. Some players have probably been considering transferring. I expect the roster to look a bit different.
He will just run them to death where those that don't see playing time ahead will quit. That's why he mentioned during the presser that he is going to look for players who can run. You may think he means speed, but he and Snyder were always known for working the players to death with conditioning drills.

He will just run them to death where those that don't see playing time ahead will quit. That's why he mentioned during the presser that he is going to look for players who can run. You may think he means speed, but he and Snyder were always known for working the players to death with conditioning drills.

Is Dimel going to want a specific type of QB coming into his first year? Speed and height? Josh Freeman was a QB i can recall the most from watching Kstate games. I personally can.care less.if we recruit Texas. They need to expand this recruiting effort and find the players most ready and can be developed. If a QB in Alaska exists that will come down and play and Dimel can comvince them to come be apart of something new that is what we need. Dimel needs to recruit and I hope he puts a staff together that can do it. El Paso geographically is a lil different. We may be better off looking at AZ, CA, hell even Colorado. If we think were gonna outrecruit UNT, SMU, UH, hell even Rice at this point were sadly mistaken. May be better to take our recruiting efforts outside the state of Texas.

Every Miner game I watched this year I felt our players were outmatched physically and then on top of that outcoached. Only way you go 0-12. Arguably worst season in Miner history.

El Paso geographically is a lil different. We may be better off looking at AZ, CA, hell even Colorado. If we think were gonna outrecruit UNT, SMU, UH, hell even Rice at this point were sadly mistaken. May be better to take our recruiting efforts outside the state of Texas.
But I thought all these games against "the Texas schools" in CUSA were supposed to help us recruit the state of Texas. That was one of the reasons we joined the conference.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Ahhh just recalled josh freeman was under ron prince. Not snyder. Left before he got there. Scratch that .

But I thought all these games against "the Texas schools" in CUSA were supposed to help us recruit the state of Texas. That was one of the reasons we joined the conference.

That was the biggest crock ive ever heard. But they did try and pull that. El Paso , a city closer to AZ, New Mexico then to the other side of Texas. We should be looking at potential recruits from.there. Hell Colorado took a QB from El Paso. In my opinion recruiting Texas is whats hurt us. Werr bringing in 7th 8th pickings of whats left. Most of the players but not all should be playing at a different level. Why not recruit a state with less Univerisities to contend with. Do we even look at AZ, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado. Broaden our horizons a bit. Like I said go find us a quarterback out in Alaska if Dimel and co, can go find a way to sell El Paso.

Is Dimel going to want a specific type of QB coming into his first year? Speed and height? Josh Freeman was a QB i can recall the most from watching Kstate games. I personally can.care less.if we recruit Texas. They need to expand this recruiting effort and find the players most ready and can be developed. If a QB in Alaska exists that will come down and play and Dimel can comvince them to come be apart of something new that is what we need. Dimel needs to recruit and I hope he puts a staff together that can do it. El Paso geographically is a lil different. We may be better off looking at AZ, CA, hell even Colorado. If we think were gonna outrecruit UNT, SMU, UH, hell even Rice at this point were sadly mistaken. May be better to take our recruiting efforts outside the state of Texas.

Every Miner game I watched this year I felt our players were outmatched physically and then on top of that outcoached. Only way you go 0-12. Arguably worst season in Miner history.

Josh Freeman was brought in under Ron Prince's staff. Its funny, because there was talent on that staff but Prince was a full blown disaster. James Franklin at Penn State, Raheem Morris that used to coach the Tampa Bay Bucs,

If I had to guess, what he looks for in a QB isn't all that different than what he worked with at KSU a majority of the time: talent. If you look at Colin Klein (Heisman finalist), he could barely throw his shoulder was so shot...horrible form and we rode him to 11 wins. A few years later we land Jake Waters, talented JC QB. He wasn't a terrible athlete, but was far more of a gunslinger and we did pretty well with him throwing to Tyler Lockett and company.

Reactions: Get2Paydirt
Texas will have 50M people in 20 or so years — UTEP MUST recruit Texas.

Snyder likes tall, big, strong, tough, smart QBs who can tuck it and run right up the gut. Of course, they also have to be good passers.

Hope Fernandez added some weight his redshirt season, 6'3" 200 lb would be nice. I'm eager to see what he can do in the spring.

Reactions: axingfools1
That was the biggest crock ive ever heard. But they did try and pull that. El Paso , a city closer to AZ, New Mexico then to the other side of Texas. We should be looking at potential recruits from.there. Hell Colorado took a QB from El Paso. In my opinion recruiting Texas is whats hurt us. Werr bringing in 7th 8th pickings of whats left. Most of the players but not all should be playing at a different level. Why not recruit a state with less Univerisities to contend with. Do we even look at AZ, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado. Broaden our horizons a bit. Like I said go find us a quarterback out in Alaska if Dimel and co, can go find a way to sell El Paso.

Texas is a big state with great talent and that’s the reason every major college football program recruits the state. While I agree UTEP should go after the best athletes in El Paso, there are not enough good recruits in New Mexico or AZ to build this program. UTEP should continue to recruit Texas and expand more into California. UTEP needs to follow the Boise state model and go after kids who were overlooked by big schools and play with a chip on their shoulders. Coaches should be looking for hidden gems like the Jones brothers, Will Hernandez and Trace Mascorro and develop these players. These were players who were only offered by UTEP and we’ve seen how they’ve developed. Hernandez will be joining Jones in the NFL next year. UTEP may have to go the jc or transfer route go after some immediate impact players. I’d like to see our coaches set up camps like Price did (not sure if this stil allowed by the NCAA) to become more visible. UTEP needs to try some innovative things to go after recruits and focus on player development.

giphy.gif

Reactions: axingfools1
Dimel should go after the QB from Del Valle (Montez) and the RB from Parkland (Hankins). They are the next D1 prospects coming up in 18-19' from EP.

Not sure about New Mexico, but I know local teams that can't get anywhere beyond west Texas in the playoffs can beat the New Mexico state champs.

Reactions: minermx07
Dimel should go after the QB from Del Valle (Montez) and the RB from Parkland (Hankins). They are the next D1 prospects coming up in 18-19' from EP.

Not sure about New Mexico, but I know local teams that can't get anywhere beyond west Texas in the playoffs can beat the New Mexico state champs.

Think bigger.

I think Fernandez gets a shot, but I agree that they will bring in at least one. Interesting that Dimel said he thought we were fine at RB.

Texas is a big state with great talent and that’s the reason every major college football program recruits the state. While I agree UTEP should go after the best athletes in El Paso, there are not enough good recruits in New Mexico or AZ to build this program. UTEP should continue to recruit Texas and expand more into California. UTEP needs to follow the Boise state model and go after kids who were overlooked by big schools and play with a chip on their shoulders. Coaches should be looking for hidden gems like the Jones brothers, Will Hernandez and Trace Mascorro and develop these players. These were players who were only offered by UTEP and we’ve seen how they’ve developed. Hernandez will be joining Jones in the NFL next year. UTEP may have to go the jc or transfer route go after some immediate impact players. I’d like to see our coaches set up camps like Price did (not sure if this stil allowed by the NCAA) to become more visible. UTEP needs to try some innovative things to go after recruits and focus on player development.

No.you guys are absolutely right as far as we do need to recruit Texas. Im more so making an opinion that we are bottom of the barrel when it comes to having any high school recruit with a brain from Texas picking us at this point in time. UTSA, UNT, SMU, Rice, ATM, UT, UH we are getting the players that those schools that wouldnt make it there. Yes we are below every school on this list in recruiting advantages.

Now what I am.saying with El Pasos unique geographic location, why must we limit ourselves to Texas? Maybe we go after the Valley Pipeline in California? Maybe UTAH? Geographically we are in the worst place we could be to sell El Paso to a recruit from the other side of the state. Combiine that with the obstacles we have walking in a living room with an 0-12 record. And saying would you like to send your son 10 hours away to El Paso, TX.

I think its finding the best talent period wherever that is . Finding the biggest players, the fastest, and the most football intelligent players we can get regardless of location. Do we need to go after Texas talent sure, lets just not kid ourselves on what we are getting. Lets expand.

UTEP has 21 seniors and I believe all are scholarship players. Dove has announced he will transfer so that's 22 open schollies. We likely have a few grey shirts in school but Dimel will decide if he wants then on scholarship or not. A few marginal players may not have their scholarships renewed. 25 is the maximum that can be given scholarships each season up to 85 total. I would bet that Dimel will have 25 to offer.

Running backs are about the only position we are ok at. He needs to find kicker fast. We would have not been 0-12, if that great offense mind we had as a coach hadn’t forgot about the kicking game.

Yeah. I would think the staff needs to sit down with Metz in the offseason and evaluate how much/if any football is left in him. I can’t imagine Metz would be a viable no. 1 QB again given his injury history. So worst case scenario we are looking at having 2 quarterbacks on the roster. Fernandez and Torrez.

Agree with those that say Dimel will bring in a JC or transfer QB that fits his scheme and I believer he will take a long look at Kavika, maybe as a backup, because he is tougher physically and can run well too.

Running backs are about the only position we are ok at. He needs to find kicker fast. We would have not been 0-12, if that great offense mind we had as a coach hadn’t forgot about the kicking game.
I think we are ok at CB next year too.

Agree with those that say Dimel will bring in a JC or transfer QB that fits his scheme and I believer he will take a long look at Kavika, maybe as a backup, because he is tougher physically and can run well too.

Right, but he can’t throw, which wrecks the whole scheme.

He's not going to say they suck in public.
He was asked if he has evaluated players yet. He specifically mentioned the RB group as being solid. He didn't have to mention anybody, let alone hide an opinion that the RB group was no good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT