ADVERTISEMENT

I don't agree with Floyd Strategy

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Gillespie turned this program immediately with transfers. I know Floyd is all about high school freshman, and will usually have one JC Transfer, but facts are facts. If you have multiple holes fill them with experience. Not just JC Transfers, but transfers from other D'1 schools. Alot of schools do this like W.Virginia, Kansas St. Etc... and they are always in the NCAA... I understand the downside to this, but after 5 and what will most likely be 6 years without an NCAA, I think Floyd needs to change his strategy if he plans to deliver what he said when he came here!

We made the NIT last year and lost to super power Murray St. Not only that, but we were the #2 seed in the toughest league in America. You should be satisfied that Bob Stull was even able to hang on to coach Floyd. He's rated the best current UTEP basketball coach in the country. Let's see any other coach come here and do better. Juarez hurts recruiting and the fact UTEP does not have a baseball or soccer team hurts too.

Chunks has 117 comments using his new account and they all sound like his very first comment. Change it up Chunks, stop being so unoriginal.

Carlos how is Juarez hurting our recruiting?
According to the stats we are the safest city.
Stop pointing fingers. The only reason we are hurting in recruiting is because we are away
from most cosmopolitan areas, where we are trying to recruit from. Some of those
recruits are trying to stay close to their home. That is just one of the factors.

Go Miners...

Carlos how is Juarez hurting our recruiting?
According to the stats we are the safest city.
Stop pointing fingers. The only reason we are hurting in recruiting is because we are away
from most cosmopolitan areas, where we are trying to recruit from. Some of those
recruits are trying to stay close to their home. That is just one of the factors.

Go Miners...
He was being his normal sarcastic self referring to Juarez, because people on this board make that excuse

Reactions: STCarlosEP
When is everyone on this blog (and just about every blog on earth) finally realize that blogs are populated by Trolls? STFUCarlos and Chunks and Chihuahua are NOT FANS. They're Trolls. They just want someone, anyone, to engage them in something, anything. Poor bastards are not normal. They get off on hijacking threads. Starting dead-end threads and generally getting a rise out of people. Respond and they live. Ignore and they die.

This is an interesting post I think there are several things at play. The first being Floyd's reputation. He is universally reviled outside of El Paso. This hurts him in recruiting. The Hamilton saga just made things worse. The amount of baggage and negative press is killing Floyd in recruiting.

Another issue is our conference affiliation. We play in a one bid conference and have only been to the tournament once in the last ten years and three times in the past twenty years. Being in a one bid league with very little recent success is going to preclude us from getting any high level transfers or jc players.

The last thing is the current state of the program. The amount of turnover annually in the roster is a red flag to recruits and their coaches. Kids want to play in a stable enviornment. The other part is lack of results recruits want to play in the ncaa tournament. We have a coach with no ncaa appearances in five years with tremendous upheaval annually in the roster playing in a one bid league. All of that dooms recruiting.

Reactions: Carlosergio
Exactly. This is why I was warning everybody 2+ years that we needed to leave CUSA. Instead more than half of this board was (and is) willing to stick it out in CUSA because it's an "up and coming" football conference. Our football conference affiliation has murdered our basketball prestige. We need to get out of Dodge stat!

Another issue is our conference affiliation. We play in a one bid conference and have only been to the tournament once in the last ten years and three times in the past twenty years. Being in a one bid league with very little recent success is going to preclude us from getting any high level transfers or jc players... All of that dooms recruiting.

Exactly. This is why I was warning everybody 2+ years that we needed to leave CUSA. Instead more than half of this board was (and is) willing to stick it out in CUSA because it's an "up and coming" football conference. Our football conference affiliation has murdered our basketball prestige. We need to get out of Dodge stat!
I agree, but if Utep and Floyd took care of business out of conference with the opportunities they had, then they would've made the NCAA, ODU proved that by being the 1st team out even though they had a so so conference record. I agree that Floyds rep has been tarnished, which is why I'm not sure him leaving for another job is such a bad thing. I had high hopes this year and we didn't deliver, mainly, because we didn't have a true PG Again! And now we appear to be gearing up for a rebuilding year and can't get a solid player this late signing period, but question is... Will Floyd actually Build anything here at Utep!?

When is everyone on this blog (and just about every blog on earth) finally realize that blogs are populated by Trolls? STFUCarlos and Chunks and Chihuahua are NOT FANS. They're Trolls. They just want someone, anyone, to engage them in something, anything. Poor bastards are not normal. They get off on hijacking threads. Starting dead-end threads and generally getting a rise out of people. Respond and they live. Ignore and they die.
Okay guy. Can't speak for Chunks or EPC, but I prefer posts that have some substance, not rah rah crap. Come with an intelligent take and you won't be "trolled".

Agree with nattybry that what this program needs s a true point guard. Havent had one in my opinion since Julian Stone .

This is an interesting post I think there are several things at play. The first being Floyd's reputation. He is universally reviled outside of El Paso. This hurts him in recruiting. The Hamilton saga just made things worse. The amount of baggage and negative press is killing Floyd in recruiting.

Another issue is our conference affiliation. We play in a one bid conference and have only been to the tournament once in the last ten years and three times in the past twenty years. Being in a one bid league with very little recent success is going to preclude us from getting any high level transfers or jc players.

The last thing is the current state of the program. The amount of turnover annually in the roster is a red flag to recruits and their coaches. Kids want to play in a stable enviornment. The other part is lack of results recruits want to play in the ncaa tournament. We have a coach with no ncaa appearances in five years with tremendous upheaval annually in the roster playing in a one bid league. All of that dooms recruiting.

Honestly, I think you are off target. While the things you mention could hurt us getting all the big names as far as recruits, I really don't think it hurts any mid major as much as you think.

Floyd's resume speaks for itself. MANY tournament appearances with various different schools. (even much smaller than UTEP) Jobs in the NBA. You don't think that weighs favorably with a kid who wants to refine his skills and possibly make it to the NBA in the future? While there "might be" some negative press, even coach Cal gets negative press and kids still go there. You don't think kids think "I can get them there"?
Our conference does have some bearing, but kids want their family to see them back home on tv (which they do) and get a chance to win a conference and go to the big dance and be on tv. If they are good enough, they can do that here just as well as anywhere else.
Turnover happens at every single school in the country. Most schools dont have a Hamilton situation and a gambling situation in back to back years. There are a LOT of schools that have kids transfer out each year because they end up not playing. Or their grades are bad....or they are homesick. Chris Washburn wanted to play near his home after a year here. Is that Floyd's fault? We are no different than most schools. Heck, Kentucky is replacing 7 friggin players this year!! Granted, they are headed to the NBA, but still.....

In order to win, Floyd needs to swing for the fences on occasion by going after a great player that may not make it here. Most kids recruited by us or anyone else are good players in high school. That doesn't mean they will be in college. (I still was never sold on Ragland) If Floyd needs to weed players out each year trying to find the right mix, I'm ok with it.

But for Paydirt Pete's sake, get us in the damn show!

Agree with nattybry that what this program needs s a true point guard. Havent had one in my opinion since Julian Stone .

Now this I totally agree with!

I have a feeling Omega will surprise us this year.

Just food for thought . Since the Jeff Darby incident , all a recruiter has to say to a recruit who has us in their top 5 is "their AD openly criticizes players on social media" , boom ! I know VH leaving probably didn't have much to do with Darby's boner , but if you think new recruits and parents aren't hearing about this by rival recruiters, well you're wrong .

Gillespie turned this program immediately with transfers. I know Floyd is all about high school freshman, and will usually have one JC Transfer, but facts are facts. If you have multiple holes fill them with experience. Not just JC Transfers, but transfers from other D'1 schools. Alot of schools do this like W.Virginia, Kansas St. Etc... and they are always in the NCAA... I understand the downside to this, but after 5 and what will most likely be 6 years without an NCAA, I think Floyd needs to change his strategy if he plans to deliver what he said when he came here!
I totally agree. That is part of the reason I keep posting about players we are recruiting signing with other universities (sometimes in worse conferences). The biggest frustration is that the good players are the ones that usually get kicked off the team while the Vints and Coopers stay on. It is hard not to think that the true problem is that the game has changed and maybe someone hasn't adjusted to it or the players. We play like we are overthinking it instead of it flowing. I do it too at work sometimes, analysis paralysis. Players want to play an uptempo/NBA style game not a methodical tactical slow down game. Not to mention, that is what us fans want to watch. The only thing that will make next year bearable is if they release some AMAZING kick @$$ uniforms because it ain't going to be pretty with only one true PG. I hope I am wrong because I like all of you want to watch our Miners in the Big Dance (even though Bob Stull went on Kappy's show and said that is not how he measures the success of the program).

I support various opinions on this board, but since the introduction of the internet, social media, sports networks, etc., I get the feeling that some of you young bucks think you know more about college hoops than the coaches that have actually toiled for years coaching at the top schools and the NBA! Comparing what Gillespie did several years ago and the current mid-major college market is totally different. Years ago, who the hell had ever heard of Butler, Wichita State, Dayton, San Diego St., SMU, Northern Iowa and the list goes on with too many to mention, including Gonzaga who has become a mid major powerhouse. Years ago, UTEP could go all over the country and achieve better recruiting results because the mid major competition was much smaller at the time, plus we were rolling better because of the successful Haskins reputation at our backs and being affiliated with the WAC. The expansion of the TV market and the internet changed the hoops marketplace. Recruiting for quality recruits has become very competitive in every aspect, simply because players have more choices, plus the opportunity to be playing closer to their home bases. Guys, we are now in a very tough recruiting market place with big brother (NCAA) waiting to pounce on your ass for the slightest infractions.

Natty, you can sling all the arrows you want at Floyd and his strategy, but I personally think he is really striving to bring the best recruits and achieve the best results for UTEP. All the arrows do, is wake up that Carlos clown who has probably never handled a basketball, but can bellow out all kinds of crap that only make sense to the lunatics at the local asylum!

Sweetlou, I respect your opinion. You always state it eloquently. I rarely, if ever, read anything derogatory in your words when you don't agree with someone. But do you really want a board where everyone agrees on everything UTEP all the time? Obviously nobody on this forum knows more about the game than ANY of the coaches court side. But before social media was around there were armchair athletes and couch coaches, etc, who have always shamelessly stated their two cents worth. Social media just provides a forum that makes it more prevalent. There isn't anything new under the sun and nothing has been uttered that we haven't heard before. It is a choice to get on the boards. Part of the fun is talking about the different perspectives from which we all see things. It's not the differences that cause issue, it's the way people cling to their self righteous points of view, and then ridicule those who see things differently that is the real problem. Whereas I could do without the holier-than-thou attitudes that appear here on occasion, I for one welcome the diversity of opinion.

Last edited:
Natty, you can sling all the arrows you want at Floyd and his strategy, but I personally think he is really striving to bring the best recruits and achieve the best results for UTEP. All the arrows do, is wake up that Carlos clown who has probably never handled a basketball, but can bellow out all kinds of crap that only make sense to the lunatics at the local asylum!

I LOVE this!

Reactions: roundsound11
I've handled plenty of balls in my lifetime Sweetie. If you think Floyd is going to land us the best recruits and results, what the hell has he been doing the last 5 years????? You're nothing but a Haskins apologist and anything connected to him is Gold. Billy Gillispie, Doc Sadler, and Tony Barbee all got it done sooner and better than Floyd. Sometimes I think that Dave Bliss would have better luck here than Floyd.

Yeah just tell baylor that....Dave bliss did an amazing job here of breaking every rule and actually one of his players killing another!! Why don't you come up with something original Carlos instead of being an absolute idiot.....and the way it sounds I bet you have handled plenty of balls....a few Aggie ones I'm sure...

^:cool:^ Is it just me hallucinating or are we finally getting some good moderation? This used to be my least favorite Miner forum and now it's becoming my favorite. I like the new layout and lack of troll(s). Great work Admins!

Last edited:
Sweetlou, I respect your opinion. You always state it eloquently. I rarely, if ever, read anything derogatory in your words when you don't agree with someone. But do you really want a board where everyone agrees on everything UTEP all the time? Obviously nobody on this forum knows more about the game than ANY of the coaches court side. But before social media was around there were armchair athletes and couch coaches, etc, who have always shamelessly stated their two cents worth. Social media just provides a forum that makes it more prevalent. There isn't anything new under the sun and nothing has been uttered that we haven't heard before. It is a choice to get on the boards. Part of the fun is talking about the different perspectives from which we all see things. It's not the differences that cause issue, it's the way people cling to their self righteous points of view, and then ridicule those who see things differently that is the real problem. Whereas I could do without the holier-than-thou attitudes that appear here on occasion, I for one welcome the diversity of opinion.
Cici, Sweetlou never stated that he wants "a board where everyone agrees on everything UTEP". That is a classic Fox News "Straw-Man" argument that misdirects and misrepresents the logic and provides a convenient "fact" that allows you to "win" the discussion. Sweetlou and other rabid supporters, me included, have criticized the coaches, program and occasionally players plenty. Difference between "diversity opinion" and Troll BS should be obvious to all by now. That said, I don't believe that you are a Troll.

Cici, Sweetlou never stated that he wants "a board where everyone agrees on everything UTEP". That is a classic Fox News "Straw-Man" argument that misdirects and misrepresents the logic and provides a convenient "fact" that allows you to "win" the discussion. Sweetlou and other rabid supporters, me included, have criticized the coaches, program and occasionally players plenty. Difference between "diversity opinion" and Troll BS should be obvious to all by now. That said, I don't believe that you are a Troll.

Why that's a compliment that can't be topped coming from you Vegas. All kidding aside, I appreciate the clarification. I certainly won't provide excuses for my lack of reading comprehension last night, but I will say that things are rarely fully understood, and points are rarely communicated as intended, when post work-week beer drinking fuels my ramblings. ✌️

Why that's a compliment that can't be topped coming from you Vegas. All kidding aside, I appreciate the clarification. I certainly won't provide excuses for my lack of reading comprehension last night, but I will say that things are rarely fully understood, and points are rarely communicated as intended, when post work-week beer drinking fuels my ramblings. ✌️

I'm about to hit Vegas (live in ELP) in a few days so I'm in training myself! Beer. Shot. Beer, Beer. Shot.

I'm about to hit Vegas (live in ELP) in a few days so I'm in training myself! Beer. Shot. Beer, Beer. Shot.

That could get dangerous! That's about the point of no return for me. It's about the time of evening where I either consciously back off...or dive fully in as awareness of next day consequences quickly recedes from the forefront of my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT