ADVERTISEMENT

I think the Miners have a good chance at an NIT bid.

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
With the road sweep, UTEP's RPI is back in the 80s (from their high in the 100s). If they win the games on their schedule that they're supposed to (all but the road game at La. Tech), with a home victory over Old Dominion, I would expect their RPI to drop back to the low 70s or even the upper 60s.

Of course I would prefer that UTEP just win the conference tourney, but I think they're working their way back into NIT consideration, and they deserve credit for that.

I dont know ever since the ncaa legislated that all regular season conference champions who dont win their conference tournament get into the NIT its pretty difficult to crack the field.

There are 32 conferences probably only nine multi bid conferences. Probably half the nit field will be filled with conference champions. That only leaves 16 at large spots i think our rpi needs ro be in the 60's to get serious consideration.

According to RPI Wizard (link below), we'd be in the low 40s if we win the tournament and in the low 50s if we lose in the championship game. This is assuming that we only lose at La Tech and assuming who we'd likely face given the current seeding for the CUSA tournament (ODU then UAB then La Tech).

I have no idea how the site predicts the RPI, no idea how accurate it is, but it's the only site I know where you can play around with the results.

RPI Wizard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT