ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP at The Rock? Can the Miners, bring it? Game day thread?

shyminer81

MI Hall of Famer
May 22, 2006
Vancouver Washington
Do the Miners really have a shot at going 5-1? Southern Miss at one point was winning games left and right. They were the cream of the crop, in CUSA. Then Bower resigned, the coach that led the Golden Eagles to many bowl games. The man named coach of the decade in CUSA. Some say, he was forced out. If so, USM has never truly recovered. Now there are talks of the Nasty bunch heading to the Sun Belt. You’d have to think, “oh how have the mighty fallen” and yet here we are. Southern Miss, hoping for a victory over an improved Miner team. Or are they? Can this UTEP team, with Cowing, Hardison, and Hankins, win? I don’t know folks, but if they do. It may just be the spark UTEP needs. A loss, might bring out the “I told ya so, same ol UTEP.” I’m personally torn, I think they can win, but a part of me can see Boise St, all over again… Scary.

USM is bad. We should take care of them. The game is going to be closer than we want it to be but this team will come home to a showdown vs LT for bowl eligibility.

That QB came in and threw for over 300 yards. He also had some interceptions too. Hope the defense can pressure him into some mistakes. This will be his first official start, means more practice with the 1st team offense. Won’t be easy, never is. Hope this is a different UTEP team, and continues to find ways to win.

Do the Miners really have a shot at going 5-1? Southern Miss at one point was winning games left and right. They were the cream of the crop, in CUSA. Then Bower resigned, the coach that led the Golden Eagles to many bowl games. The man named coach of the decade in CUSA. Some say, he was forced out. If so, USM has never truly recovered. Now there are talks of the Nasty bunch heading to the Sun Belt. You’d have to think, “oh how have the mighty fallen” and yet here we are. Southern Miss, hoping for a victory over an improved Miner team. Or are they? Can this UTEP team, with Cowing, Hardison, and Hankins, win? I don’t know folks, but if they do. It may just be the spark UTEP needs. A loss, might bring out the “I told ya so, same ol UTEP.” I’m personally torn, I think they can win, but a part of me can see Boise St, all over again… Scary.
The part of you that can see Boise St all over again isn't paying attention to Utep, S. Miss or College Football this year. While of course it's possible they could lose, the chances of this year's S. Miss doing what Boise did to Utep is about as likely as you winning the Power Ball!

I expect rather than hope the Miners to win. That hasn't happened the last several years. But I have to remember that Marshall expected to beat Middle Tennessee too and that didn't happen so a loss now would be something to bounce back from not give up because of it.

The part of you that can see Boise St all over again isn't paying attention to Utep, S. Miss or College Football this year. While of course it's possible they could lose, the chances of this year's S. Miss doing what Boise did to Utep is about as likely as you winning the Power Ball!
Sure hope so. I’m not sure what paying attention to college football has to do with this game. UTEP historically struggles, on the road. Let’s see if Dimel has them up for the challenge. Southern Miss won’t be NMSU, UNM or ODU. That Boise team is also not a typical Boise St team, perhaps you would have known that, had you “paid attention” lol.

Throw out the Boise game, it appears this a team has something the Miners haven’t had in a long time. The will to overcome their own mistakes and find away to win.
We will see if that holds true on Saturday.

This USM team is bad, as was their team last year. UTEP got the start they should have and now if they're really bowl contenders they need to beat teams that aren't doing well

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
Sure hope so. I’m not sure what paying attention to college football has to do with this game. UTEP historically struggles, on the road. Let’s see if Dimel has them up for the challenge. Southern Miss won’t be NMSU, UNM or ODU. That Boise team is also not a typical Boise St team, perhaps you would have known that, had you “paid attention” lol.
Utep turned it over 6 times gave up a punt return missed 3 TDs inside the red zone and played in front of the loudest crowd they'll ever face. Not to mention Boise St this year would beat S. Miss this year by 35+. Now who's not paying attention? I understand not having faith in UTEP, I'm just saying no way S. Miss beats Utep anywhere close to what you even suggested as a possibility. In all likelihood it'll be close and UTEP should win, should...

Reactions: shyminer81
I think UTEP has an excellent chance to win Saturday. These guys aren’t going to win style points with their play but if they can make the game ugly, get some stops on defense they’re going to be in it. My only concern is whether the Miners are going to beat themselves. We all know about the penalties, but when does overconfidence start creeping in? Will this team stay level headed and focused at 4-1 knowing the job is not done?

Reactions: Rot and Cube Jack

What the Miners can't do is give USM hope at the start of the game. If the Miners give up a quick score or can't move the ball early, it may be a long night. We have been on the other end of this equation too many times and when a team is down you can't let them in the game by giving them chances. Unfortunately, we have not developed a killer instinct as of yet but we did display some of it at NMSU and at UL Monroe last year. Hopefully we can show it for this game.

Throw out the Boise game, it appears this a team has something the Miners haven’t had in a long time. The will to overcome their own mistakes and find away to win.
We will see if that holds true on Saturday.
*if playing at home or a 45 minute radius of El Paso*

What the Miners can't do is give USM hope at the start of the game. If the Miners give up a quick score or can't move the ball early, it may be a long night. We have been on the other end of this equation too many times and when a team is down you can't let them in the game by giving them chances. Unfortunately, we have not developed a killer instinct as of yet but we did display some of it at NMSU and at UL Monroe last year. Hopefully we can show it for this game.

UTEP does not have a killer instinct, but they have shown a level of resiliency that past Miner teams haven’t shown. They have shown they can stay close with teams on their level, and they’ve shown an ability to make key plays at key times on offense and defense. BUT they’ve also shown an affinity for conservative play calling when trying to close out a game as well as a propensity for giving up dumb penalties at the worst times.

Curious to see what Dimel does with Brownholtz. USM will be prepared for him, when he comes in, it’s probably a QB run… Will it be as effective, as last week? Does it hurt the team chemistry Hardison has built? Personally I hope he sticks with Hardison, pending an injury, leaves Brownholtz on the bench.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Curious to see what Dimel does with Brownholtz. USM will be prepared for him, when he comes in, it’s probably a QB run… Will it be as effective, as last week? Does it hurt the team chemistry Hardison has built? Personally I hope he sticks with Hardison, pending an injury, leaves Brownholtz on the bench.
Last week is the only time in Dimmel’s tenure that UTEP brought in a 2nd QB to run the ball and it worked.

I hope they leave for the Sun Belt. I want UAB to stay in CUSA, but USM can go F off. They've always been nasty towards UTEP on the field and hardwood for years and they fight UTEP on everything. I would always throw up in my mouth when Teich would french kiss Doc every year. For the life of me I don't understand the love affair between UTEP big boosters and Doc? Can someone explain it to me?

gag-gross.gif

Does Dimel go with blank helmets again? That should be the questions on everyone’s mind! I rewatched the UTEP game last night (ODU) and the defense can really perform at times. Other than the NMSU game, they (whole team) haven’t had a break out game. Would be nice to see them do this at USM. BrownHoltz as a lead blocker, looked fantastic. This has got to the bigggest game of the Dimel era, a win and people will truly take notice.

Reactions: JCorona
Those helmets were ugly. I like the big pick axe. Every game they win becomes bigger. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I'm excited for the next home game.

Reactions: shyminer81
Haven’t really thought much of Frank Gore Jr, but he is averaging 72 yards a game. Curious to see if USM buckles down on the passing, and runs Gore “more.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT