ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if Mike Price would come back to coach the team mid-year?

NY/NJminer

All Star
Oct 6, 2001
Kugler wouldn't make it to the end of the season if UTEP had an AD that still cared and wasn't just drawing a check. I'm sure Mike Price could coach this team to something more respectable.

Where are the boosters to put pressure on Stull and Kugler? This is completely unacceptable.

Last edited:
The top boosters are happy with Bob Stull that's why you never hear any rumblings of him being on the hot seat.
I don't understand why this would be the case unless it is more good-ole-boy network related and factors outside of actual sports. Basketball, nope. football, nope. Decent conference, nope. Alumni, community outreach and marketing, nope. Chihuahuas are putting UTEP to shame when it comes to marketing. It can be done in El Paso. You just have to really want to.

Rehashing, revisiting previous blunders & adventures won't fix this fecal storm. A complete and thorough enema from top to bottom has to be performed on this Continental Trailways of Clowns. And yet, that won't be enough. This culture of losing should come to an end just as the Sun Bowl comes crashing down. Fill that cavity with a medical or law school or a self-sustaining powerplant - the football team can play at Jones or McKee Stadium for all I care and the Sun Bowl Classic can just go the away. Enough already with the constant b.s. during the off-season only to witness the same drek year in, year out.

Kugler wouldn't make it to the end of the season if UTEP had an AD that still cared and wasn't just drawing a check. I'm sure Mike Price could coach this team to something more respectable.

Where are the boosters to put pressure on Stull and Kugler? This is completely unacceptable.
Price would open up the passing game at least. He would make defenses pay the price for stacking the box to stop Jones. Our OC has no clue how to do that.

Reactions: UTEP05
I'm not Brent Pease's biggest fan by no means. But we're doing the same thing we werected doing under Higgins. At some point we have to accept Kugler wants to play this boring 80s High School style of football and hold him accountable. Price sucked at the end of his career and there's no way I want him back especially after 4 years away from the game.

Rehashing, revisiting previous blunders & adventures won't fix this fecal storm. A complete and thorough enema from top to bottom has to be performed on this Continental Trailways of Clowns. And yet, that won't be enough. This culture of losing should come to an end just as the Sun Bowl comes crashing down. Fill that cavity with a medical or law school or a self-sustaining powerplant - the football team can play at Jones or McKee Stadium for all I care and the Sun Bowl Classic can just go the away. Enough already with the constant b.s. during the off-season only to witness the same drek year in, year out.

Enema huh? That is what Kugler was implying when he got here. Where do you think the "dumpster fire" tag came from? That's what Kugler was saying of the program when he got here. Time for the president to come in and take over when Tim Floyd blows it again by early March.

Price couldn't do anything with Kugler's players or his own. He could only do something with Nord's. So if you want to bring Nord back to recruit, and Price to coach Nord's recruits, then maybe you make a point.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Price would open up the passing game, but then completely forget about Jones. Jones would have 80 yards in the 1st 8 minutes, then Price would say, now that we've established the running game, let's pass the rest of the game. At least he would take Jones off special teams, I think. Anyway, no to Price, that's just dumb.

Really? Like he did with Donald Buckram?
We'll if Buckram is the only example you can name during 8 years of Price runningbacks, you kind of helped make my point. My point is it was silly to suggest Price return.

The guy had 7 straight losing seasons and that is who you want to come back and coach the team. That is absolutely ridiculous and shows your logic.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
The guy had 7 straight losing seasons and that is who you want to come back and coach the team. That is absolutely ridiculous and shows your logic.

He wouldn't do worse than Kugler. I don't remember many game with Price where UTEP got blown out. Even in Price's last year Oklahoma and Ole Miss didn't blow out UTEP.

He wouldn't do worse than Kugler. I don't remember many game with Price where UTEP got blown out. Even in Price's last year Oklahoma and Ole Miss didn't blow out UTEP.

Price got blown out by bad teams. The Price era wasnt any better than this. It makes no sense to relitigate the past. The Price era sucked and was full of embarrassing losses just like the Kugler era.

We'll if Buckram is the only example you can name during 8 years of Price runningbacks, you kind of helped make my point. My point is it was silly to suggest Price return.

Well nobody would accuse me of being a UTEP football Wikepedia, I honestly spent maybe 4-5 seconds max doing a brain Google. Not sure how many examples you were looking for, but DB was the one that immediately came to mind. A Price return is obviously absurd, although UTEP could probably do worse right about now. But if that helped make your point then, well, you're welcome...

Price got blown out by bad teams. The Price era wasnt any better than this. It makes no sense to relitigate the past. The Price era sucked and was full of embarrassing losses just like the Kugler era.

Price never got blown out by bad teams. I remember bad losses, but not being blown out by bad teams. Plus, CUSA had better teams when Price was coaching. The Kugler era is much worse than the Price era.

Even when UTEP was 4-8 in 2009 they beat no. 12 Houston by 17 points.

That's just plain wrong. Four years into this mess, Kugler has repeatedly had his ass handed to him, big game after big game. Look it up, even in Price's last 3-4 years, UTEP was competitive more often than not, usually against much tougher competition, week in and week out. Remember when Stull gave Price body bag games against Oklahoma, at Ole Miss, and at Wisconsin - in the same season?! Look it up, UTEP was MORE than competitive in each of those games.

Look, I understand why you're a little snarky these days, but no use in malpracticing history.

Reactions: UTEP05
That's just plain wrong. Four years into this mess, Kugler has repeatedly had his ass handed to him, big game after big game. Look it up, even in Price's last 3-4 years, UTEP was competitive more often than not, usually against much tougher competition, week in and week out. Remember when Stull gave Price body bag games against Oklahoma, at Ole Miss, and at Wisconsin - in the same season?! Look it up, UTEP was MORE than competitive in each of those games.

Look, I understand why you're a little snarky these days, but no use in malpracticing history.

Go back and look at how many teams with a losing record Price loss to. He lost to bad teams every year. Look at the record book look at the scores.

Price lost by less points to Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Ole Miss in one season than Kugler did to Army in one game.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaserCoog
Go back and look at how many teams with a losing record Price loss to. He lost to bad teams every year. Look at the record book look at the scores.

And Kugler hasn't? Kugler has yet to beat a Division 1 team that has finished with a winning record.

Price didn't throw Gary Nord under the bus. As a matter of fact, he complimented him on his recruiting of some players but others he felt were not D-1A material. I even read two articles months after his hiring by former UTEP players were thanking Price for getting them spots on FCS teams and got way more playing time. Now, with hindsight 20/20, I smell Price salesmanship but he wasn't pulling a Dubya and totally insulting Bubba after Bubba left office.

And Kugler hasn't? Kugler has yet to beat a Division 1 team that has finished with a winning record.

The premise of the post was that Price should be the coach again. Both have failed rplacing sucky with sucky isnt getting you any where. Price has seven losing seasons in a row. This is not like UNM where they fired their all time winningest coach and then he goes on to become the winningest coach at a conference rival.

Price didn't throw Gary Nord under the bus. As a matter of fact, he complimented him on his recruiting of some players but others he felt were not D-1A material. I even read two articles months after his hiring by former UTEP players were thanking Price for getting them spots on FCS teams and got way more playing time. Now, with hindsight 20/20, I smell Price salesmanship but he wasn't pulling a Dubya and totally insulting Bubba after Bubba left office.

What does that have to do with any of this?

The premise of the post was that Price should be the coach again. Both have failed rplacing sucky with sucky isnt getting you any where. Price has seven losing seasons in a row. This is not like UNM where they fired their all time winningest coach and then he goes on to become the winningest coach at a conference rival.

You said Price got blown out by bad teams, but you can't name any.

You said Price got blown out by bad teams, but you can't name any.

Cant recall the exact years off the top of my head but he was beaten soundly twice by 2 win memphis teams. A couple of bad rice teams. A really bad UAB team. Twice by really bad Tulane teams.

The premise of the post was that Price should be the coach again.

Wrong again. Everybody agrees with you, nobody with a football IQ above room temperature is lobbying for a Mike Price return. Go ahead, take yes for an answer...

Look, I understand why you're butt hurt these days, I really do. But after four years into this mess, what I don't understand are the constant and wholly irrelevant references to UTEP football coaches going back into the last century, especially with largely inaccurate allegations about a former COY who was arguably the best ambassador ever for UTEP and El Paso. Mike Price is NOT your problem.

Wrong again. Everybody agrees with you, nobody with a football IQ above room temperature is lobbying for a Mike Price return. Go ahead, take yes for an answer...

Look, I understand why you're butt hurt these days, I really do. But after four years into this mess, what I don't understand are the constant and wholly irrelevant references to UTEP football coaches going back into the last century, especially with largely inaccurate allegations about a former COY who was arguably the best ambassador ever for UTEP and El Paso. Mike Price is NOT your problem.

I have nothing personally against Mike Price. Through the years ive seen him at several functions. He's a likable guy I hope hes enjoying retirement. The point is that is does no good to wax poetically about a coach who had seven straight losing season and alot of other problems in the football program. In the Price days we were having meltdowns just like now.

At this point I dont care who coaches the team. It could be you for all I care i just want the program to move forward. I harbor no ill will toward any former coach. In fact the only coach at UTEP i personally cant stand is Tim Floyd. I think he is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with college athletics. However, I still root for the team. I would never root against a UTEP team.

Cant recall the exact years off the top of my head but he was beaten soundly twice by 2 win memphis teams. A couple of bad rice teams. A really bad UAB team. Twice by really bad Tulane teams.

UTEP lost to a 2 win Memphis team in 2006 (38-19) and a 2 win Memphis team in 2009 (35-20)- not exactly blowouts.

UTEP beat Rice in 2004 (one of the best games in UTEP history), won in 2005, lost 37-31 in 2006, lost 48-56 in 2007, lost 33-34 in 2008, lost 30-29 in 2009, won 44-24 in 2010, lost 41-37 in 2011, lost 33-24 in 2012. No blowouts there.

UTEP lost to UAB in 2005 35-23, won in 2006 36-17, lost 38-33 in 2009, lost 21-6 in 2010. No blowout there.

UTEP beat Tulane 45-21 in 2005, won 34-20 in 2006, lost 34-19 in 2007, won 24-21 in 2008, lost 45-38 in 2009, lost 34-24 in 2010, won 44-7 in 2011 (that's called a blowout), and won 24-20 in Tulane.

So, to prove my point, Price was not blown out by bad teams.

Stop lying. CUSA had much better teams back then and Kugler has yet to beat a Division 1 team that has finished with a better record.

No one is defending Kugler. The oroginal post suggested we should replace Kugler with Price. Most people have just pointed out it would be absurd to replace one bad coach with another.

I was referring to this board. The meltdowns on this board.

And your point is? Price wasn't losing 34-7 and 66-14 on a regular basic. In fact, Price never had a loss as bad as the Army game.

With Price his teams always started well and then had meltdowns. Even losing in November the teams were competitive. Now, the team has started poorly and not competitive at all.

Most people have just pointed out it would be absurd to replace one bad coach with another.

I wouldn't call Price a bad coach. A bad coach (whether with his recruits or not) doesn't go to 2 straight bowl games, beat ranked teams, and have teams ranked in the Top 25 two years in a row.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT