ADVERTISEMENT

If Kugler is a man of his word he will resign at the end of THIS season!

orangepiggy

New guy
Aug 29, 2007
This performance is on par with the 70s and 80s UTEP football teams. This coaching staff is an embarrasment to this university and this city. Zero game adjustments, zero creativity, zero willingness to throw the ball down the friggin field unless we are down by twenty points and zero player development. I can't believe Kugler actually thought his offense could succeed with a 5'5'' starting quarterback. Kugler is way in over his head. This team has no pride and it has obviously quit on him. Enough is enough. There is no doubt in my mind that this football team is the worst division I football team in the country. Pretty pathetic after three years, huh Coach??

Last edited:
Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
So one year removed from going to a bowl game he should be fired? I am not defending kugler but let him make some changes ...first would be saying bye bye to the OC

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
So one year removed from going to a bowl game he should be fired? I am not defending kugler but let him make some changes ...first would be saying bye bye to the OC

I am only holding Kugler to his word. It is Kugler who said he would resign if he didnt turn the football program in three years. UTEP will not win another game this season.

Kugler is not going anywhere. UTEP doesn't have the capital or boosters to buy out his contract. He would have to quit.

Reactions: Prospero915
Has he ever explained if his offense coordinator can call anything besides up the middle, left tackle, right tackle for a yard? Pass for five yards?

Buying out his contract wouldnt be a problem. The problem is Stull. He doesnt fire anyone he likes the staus quo. He let Price go seven seasons, he payed too much for Floyd and could of fired him with cause. The whole athletic department needs to be burnt to the ground and rebuilt.

f0
Kugler is not going anywhere. UTEP doesn't have the capital or boosters to buy out his contract. He would have to quit.
Stull is a puss and would never even try to do it. I doubt he has even confronted Kugler to find out what is going on. Stull's "Aww Shucks everything will be ok" attitude is sinking UTEP to Sun Belt level.

We are getting our ass handed to us and we keep on running the same failed plays.

It is who we are, we a running team. Control the ball, pound the other team. Make them submit to our will!!

BULLSH*T!!!!

Learn something! Adapt!! Anyone can see what we are going to do before we do it.

Buying out his contract wouldnt be a problem. The problem is Stull. He doesnt fire anyone he likes the staus quo. He let Price go seven seasons, he payed too much for Floyd and could of fired him with cause. The whole athletic department needs to be burnt to the ground and rebuilt.
Brilliant solution. What a great idea, I'm sure that would inspire coaches, players, boosters, fans immensely and UTEP would turn into West Texas Alabama. Moron.

Brilliant solution. What a great idea, I'm sure that would inspire coaches, players, boosters, fans immensely and UTEP would turn into West Texas Alabama. Moron.

What would you suggest we do. We have already been passed by Houston and SMU. If things dont get better soon we will get passed by UTSA and Texas State. Football is the only sport that matters. Basketball is irrelevant we cant spend the money we are on basketball. If we dont get football fixed our place in college athletics will continue to fall. We dont have the luxery of being patient. We have to make drastic changes now.

Last edited:
What would you suggest we do. We have already been passed by Houston and SMU. If things dont thing we will get passed by UTSA and Texas State. Football is the only sport that matters. Basketball is irrelevant we cant spend the money we are on basketball. If we dont get football fixed our place in college athletics will continue to fall. We dont have the luxery of being patient. We have to make drastic changes now.

We were never ahead of Houston, and only were we ahead of smu for a while while they recovered from the death penalty......and that one horrible year they had last season. I do believe you are correct in that if things don't change drastically, we can expect to be passed up by UTSA and Texas State....and sooner rather than later.

We were never ahead of Houston, and only were we ahead of smu for a while while they recovered from the death penalty......and that one horrible year they had last season. I do believe you are correct in that if things don't change drastically, we can expect to be passed up by UTSA and Texas State....and sooner rather than later.

Houston almost dropped their program in 2003. It was Art Briles who saved it.

Houston almost dropped their program in 2003. It was Art Briles who saved it.

True. After having their schollies reduced to 20 in the mid 90s, they did suffer their worst stretch of fb that lasted close to a decade. But even during that span, they had a couple winning seasons, a conference title and a bowl game or two. The program was close to folding but I still question whether a case could be made that UTEP had surpassed UH during that era. UTEP was in a bowl drought of their own during that stretch. I guess it really just depends on the criteria you are using to make the argument.

True. After having their schollies reduced to 20 in the mid 90s, they did suffer their worst stretch of fb that lasted close to a decade. But even during that span, they had a couple winning seasons, a conference title and a bowl game or two. The program was close to folding but I still question whether a case could be made that UTEP had surpassed UH during that era. UTEP was in a bowl drought of their own during that stretch. I guess it really just depends on the criteria you are using to make the argument.

Production wise we were never ahead of Houston. However, we were at the same level conference wise. I think in 2005 our future looked brighter than Houston or SMU. Then we fell off the map and they both improved and moved ahead of us conference wise.

Production wise we were never ahead of Houston. However, we were at the same level conference wise. I think in 2005 our future looked brighter than Houston or SMU. Then we fell off the map and they both improved and moved ahead of us conference wise.

I can agree with that. My how things can change, tho.

Let's get one thing perfectly clear. Stull is in no waythe good 'ol boy, keep status quo AD. He is to UTEP athletics what Briles is to Houston and Baylor football. Prior to Stull's arrival at UTEP, UTEP did actually have a bona fide, Texas certified, good 'ol boy network that had absolutely no interest in enhancing, and making UTEP athletics better. They had Don Haskins and all they thought was to keep Don happy and if Don is happy, El Paso is happy....this couldn't have been further from the truth! This posse of pathetic directors even used to take up their own coolers of beer to the press box and get drunk for football games and at the same time enforced that no drinking will be allowed on Sun Bowl premises. The EP Times or Herald Post got wind and caught them red handed in their hypocrisy.

Don't mix Kugler's self inflicted coaching decisions and plain old injury bug bad luck confuse what Stull has developed at UTEP. The athletic capital improvements are staggering for a university with a limited budget. Bob Stull is, as the prog band RUSH sings, today's "Tom Sawyer": "A modern day warrior, mean, mean stride, Today's Tom Sawyer, mean, mean pride". He is cunning, and knows how to make a dollar holler. Does he just go with what the big boosters say, yes he does. All AD's do. No need to burn anything down. There are many, many UTEP athletes, other than football, that are succeeding on the playing field and in the classroom.

What I do agree with is a total assessment of football players development and why there was such a massive, massive drop off in player performance after the injuries started to happen. Why was there a massive, cavern wide drop in talent in rb position when Jones went down (clue lies in Hamm departure)? The O-line was supposed to be Kugler's signature master piece, what in heaven's name happened this year? What type of communication does Kugler have with the offensive coordinator during the game and during preparation during game week? The play calling was even bad when Jones was healthy. Why a major drop off in strength and endurance from last year to this year? UTEP even got man handled at certain position by IW for pete sake! Why did it take "THE SHIPS ON FIRE!!" approach until this staff decided to get serious about a passing game to supplement Kugler's run, run and run again offensive strategy? Are some staff recruits that are brought in and developed making positive gains to play such a demanding high level FBS schedule? Just because they're from 5A or 6A programs in Texas, doesn't mean they can play FBS level football.

Just too many questions....

Last edited:
This performance is on par with the 70s and 80s UTEP football teams. This coaching staff is an embarrasment to this university and this city. Zero game adjustments, zero creativity, zero willingness to throw the ball down the friggin field unless we are down by twenty points and zero player development. I can't believe Kugler actually thought his offense could succeed with a 5'5'' starting quarterback. Kugler is way in over his head. This team has no pride and it has obviously quit on him. Enough is enough. There is no doubt in my mind that this football team is the worst division I football team in the country. Pretty pathetic after three years, huh Coach??
Well I have tried to not respond to PIGGYBACK but
Not happening. First of all where were you UTSA
Game? You want throwing in games, Metz threw 48 or 50 times. Worked out real well in that game, ha
And until these boards know exactly why some players are not played or why they supposedly left
UTEP stop posting. One more thought, how has a 6'4" and a 6'1" QB done compared to the 5'5" as you call him.

Kug hasn't recruited well and the players that are playing well were Price kids. He needs the revamp his recruiting strategy and treat these players he has with respect if he wants them to respect what he's trying to teach. Kids get tired of a mouth talking to damn much coach. He has lost the team.

Game? You want throwing in games, Metz threw 48 or 50 times. Worked out real well in that game, ha
And until these boards know exactly why some players are not played or why they supposedly left
UTEP stop posting. One more thought, how has a 6'4" and a 6'1" QB done compared to the 5'5" as you call him.

go have another beer with minerdear, aka lefty's mama and papa

A passing game isn't something like a faucet in your home. I've explained this before. You don't turn it off, then turn it on and expect it to be flawless and one week trying to kick start it again isn't going to work. A passing game is born from timing and rehearsal. So
Metz could've thrown it 100 times, that doesn't mean it's going to work, much less be effective.

Second thing, you talked about players quitting. Several people hyped up one WR who's still on the team as being the best one the team had. I didn't want to be disrespectful to anyone posting here because everyone is passionate about the success of the program. But I did lmao when I read that. I won't out the kid here, but if you're a tall kid and getting mugged off the line by a DB half your height; how does that make you good? It makes you ineffective. Not just by one DB but by most you come up against. Kids know who the best players are at any given position. Even if you ask them In private. Playing politics sends the wrong message on a team and Kugler and his staff did just that.

What's the difference between a 6'4 and 6'1 QB vs the one 5.5? No one with any amount of football knowledge would ask that question. But you don't have to listen to me, just google the number of passes the 5.5 one had swatted. Then review the average height of the OL. While you're at it calculate the number of check downs the 5.5 completed.

The 6'4 one out performed the 5.5 one in camp and should've been the starter as soon as he was healthy or worst case, wrap that ankle super snug and send him out there.

Lastly, a one dimensional offense has never succeeded. That's why teams throw the ball.

Kug hasn't recruited well and the players that are playing well were Price kids. He needs the revamp his recruiting strategy and treat these players he has with respect if he wants them to respect what he's trying to teach. Kids get tired of a mouth talking to damn much coach. He has lost the team.

This has been a terrible season, but I dont think many Price recruits are still around. The only notable ones I can think of are Golden and robertson harris.

This has been a terrible season, but I dont think many Price recruits are still around. The only notable ones I can think of are Golden and robertson harris.

Cole Freytag, Ishmael Harrison are also the last of Price recruits. They came in same time when former UTEP qb Lamaison came to UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT