ADVERTISEMENT

It stinks that UTEP never gets anyone Drafted

Kelvin Fisher signed with the Steelers and Cedric Lang signed with the Giants as well.

Well I didn't think he would and if he did, he'd go late. I think we all have several reasons why, but UTEP, at least not recently, does not do a good job of developing their players.

Whether Harris never reached his full potential because of himself or his coaching is hard to figure. Obviously, the coaching staff in place at the time thought enough of him to offer him. But when you don't put up competitive numbers in CUSA from his position, it makes it hard to justify a draft pick. However, I will say a lot of puzzling picks are made from mid 4th to the 7th round. He'll get his shot in Chicago, so we'll see how it goes.

Just for the record, the majority of players in the NFL were/are free agents. Which is just a reminder that as much as they try to make it a science, it isn't. And scouts are wrong on players more often than not.

I think problem with Utep is they don't promote their players.

I think problem with Utep is they don't promote their players.

If we're basing it on the last few years, probably not. Certainly the promotion of Aaron Jones is obvious. However, feeding him the ball almost 30+ times a game doesn't help promote nothing but injuries.

I'm talking about media and selling their best players to the pros. I'm talking about football and basketball.Vince Hunter ,Randy Culpeper didn't have a college mix tape on YouTube. Idk it just seems none of the players getting good pub. Who ever is working for Aaron Jones is doing a good job. At least he has some video mixes on YouTube.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I'm talking about media and selling their best players to the pros. I'm talking about football and basketball.Vince Hunter ,Randy Culpeper didn't have a college mix tape on YouTube. Idk it just seems none of the players getting good pub. Who ever is working for Aaron Jones is doing a good job. At least he has some video mixes on YouTube.

That has nothing to do with if a player is drafted. During the season all 32 teams send scouts to UTEP. If you are good enough the scouts will find you. Roy didnt get drafted because he had a disapointing season. His production didnt merit a draft pick.

In the next three years I think we will have players drafted every year.

Next year: Plinke
2018: Hernandez, Logan and Alvin Jones
2019: Beverly

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
That has nothing to do with if a player is drafted. During the season all 32 teams send scouts to UTEP. If you are good enough the scouts will find you. Roy didnt get drafted because he had a disapointing season. His production didnt merit a draft pick.

In the next three years I think we will have players drafted every year.

Next year: Plinke
2018: Hernandez, Logan and Alvin Jones
2019: Beverly

i know its no the main reason that but i think it does help.

If Aaron Jones can prove that he's not MR. Glass and avoid injuries the next two years he will get drafted. He's not a small back n e more at least weight wise.

Most of Kugler's very first Recruiting Class(Aaron Jones, Alvin Jones, Devin Cockrell, Will Hernandez, etc.) are still 2 years away from graduating. It will be interesting to see what happens as Kugler's players are just now becoming Upperclassmen.

Reactions: liebestraum
If Aaron Jones can prove that he's not MR. Glass and avoid injuries the next two years he will get drafted. He's not a small back n e more at least weight wise.

Aaron Jones is not a 30+ carry RB. Kugs can feed him the ball that many times as he's done in the past, but all it does is wear Jones down and open the door for injuries. That 30+ carry mark doesn't include RB dump offs. Once you factor that into the mix, you're talking almost 40+ touches a game. That may work in HS, but in college and definitely not the League will that work. The better mix isn't slamming Jones into the LOS every play. It's getting him in space and not making him your first through third down option, every single series.

Jones is a very capable RB. I just don't think they've played him smartly.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
University of Colorado hasn't had a draft pick in over 2 years. If you're good they'll find you. Just ask Carson Wentz.

University of Colorado hasn't had a draft pick in over 2 years. If you're good they'll find you. Just ask Carson Wentz.

Carson Wentz increased the number of championships the Bison have won in during his time there. He was on the League's radar in 1080 HD. lol

UTEP had 13 players get drafted by the NFL from 2000-2008. The NFL has no problem finding prospects at UTEP when they are here.

Let me guess the players

Paul Smith
Brian Young
Lief Larson
Jordan Palmer
Higgins
Demps
Thomas Howard
Lee Mays?
Cousins

I only remember 9 on top of my head.

Yes, the other 3 were Darilek, Ward, and Halloway. Here are the details:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UTEP_Miners_in_the_NFL_Draft

Of the 13 NFL Draft Picks that UTEP has had since 2000, here is the breakdown of how many were signed by each UTEP Coach:

Charlie Bailey: 5 (he signed 6 total NFL Draft Picks during his 7 years at UTEP).
Gary Nord: 7
Mike Price: 1
Sean Kugler: TBD - his first Recruiting Class will barely be Juniors/Seniors this upcoming season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT