ADVERTISEMENT

It took most of the season, but...

Coach finally noticed what what we fans have been screaming from the stands:

"Because keeping it close to the vest and trying to win by a couple of points hasn't worked the last couple of games."

So, play-calling will now be a lot more open! Halleluiah!
What did I miss?

How about a pass on first down? How about using a tight end or a running back? How about some short routes, crossing patterns, screens? How about a QB option? How about not basing the entire passing game on 40 yard heaves downfield to Cowling? How about doing something unexpected?

Not so fast guys, he may be onto something. Here's video from today's practice.

football-classic.gif

Could we stop with the 5 men in the backfield penalties? I don't know how many of those we've had this season but I hear it often. Can't even blame your OC since you're the one calling the plays.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Coach finally noticed what what we fans have been screaming from the stands:

"Because keeping it close to the vest and trying to win by a couple of points hasn't worked the last couple of games."

So, play-calling will now be a lot more open! Halleluiah!
Yeah he mentioned this right after our 6th win. I guess he changed his mind AND decided to have our corners play the hot routes on opponents last minute desperation plays.

How about not basing the entire passing game on 40 yard heaves downfield to Cowling?
Remember when Metz begged Kugler to pass more? True story as told by himself during a post game. That wasn’t long ago. But if you got a Gavin “Bazooka arm” Hardison and Stick’um hands Cowing, you let that pigskin fly.

The other items I totally agree. His offense uses TE’s that block primarily but I clearly remember Dimel using KSU TE’s on UTEP for two TD’s when a Kugler led Miner squad went to Manhattan. He has only used once and that was at FAU.

Well, if we continue this offensive technique, we had better get someone who can deliver a punt more than 40 yards. Those 3 and outs followed by a 20 yard punt really give me a tummy ache

Interceptions, 3 n outs, and blow out scores like the old UTEP days... or maybe the opposite, but I highly doubt we've been hiding a high potent offense...
Remember when we did that against UTSA? The first series was 3 passes, 3 incompletions, 18 seconds off the clock, and then we found ourselves down 10-0 5 minutes into the game. If you're on the Hardison sucks train, you might want to reconsider opening up the offense.

Remember when we did that against UTSA? The first series was 3 passes, 3 incompletions, 18 seconds off the clock, and then we found ourselves down 10-0 5 minutes into the game. If you're on the Hardison sucks train, you might want to reconsider opening up the offense.
You’re right. This offense is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Run the ball, you don’t produce but you’re bleeding the clock. Pass the ball, you’re stopping the clock and prolonging the agony.

Nope. Not gonna happen. What else you got?
I know calling for Dimel’s is the most popular idea on this board, but realistically he’s going to be extended. His last two seasons have shown improvement and if Cowing doesn’t declare, we have a chance of hitting 8+ wins next season with all the talent set to return.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I know calling for Dimel’s is the most popular idea on this board, but realistically he’s going to be extended. His last two seasons have shown improvement and if Cowing doesn’t declare, we have a chance of hitting 8+ wins next season with all the talent set to return.
And there's still a chance we actually win on Saturday and have our second winning season since 05. Not to mention I like our chances against Wyoming if we end up against them in the NM Bowl.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I don’t believe he deserves an extension. His offense is bad, time management is terrible, half time adjustments are non existent, discipline on the field is yet to be seen. I don’t think he has beaten a winning team yet. I don’t think he will be let go, but I sure as hell don’t want him for the next four or five years.

And there's still a chance we actually win on Saturday and have our second winning season since 05. Not to mention I like our chances against Wyoming if we end up against them in the NM Bowl.
Should be more than a chance Saturday! We should win easily, unfortunately nothing has been easy besides NMSU, La Tech and S. Miss. Hoping this game against Rice isn't close and UAB gives all they have in the UTSA game. 7-5 though is what most of us are expecting. I thought 8-4 would've gotten Dimel an extension, but after N. Texas game I'm not so sure especially if they find a way to lose to Rice! Go 7-5 and win a bowl game and he gets an extension I'm sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT