ADVERTISEMENT

It's not impossible, just difficult

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Everyone is saying it's impossible for CUSA to get auto bid. So it doesn't matter unless Utep wins the conf tourney. I think it's difficult and unlikely, but not impossible. Belmont proved that. The road to do that is not easy though. It will take 25+ D1 victories no more than 6 losses with at least 2-4 quad 1 wins, some good Quad 2 wins and no bad losses and scheduling a top 75 non conference schedule. I remember when Gonzaga had to prove themeselves in the non conference to just make sure they had a shot at an at large. They just kept winning the conf tourney as well. Senter, Terry and the new president need to invest the time and money to get Utep back to the dominance of the 80s and early 90s. We have lost faith, understandably so, but it's not impossible, just going to be difficult unless there's dedication to make this a Basketball School once again!

Last edited:
Everyone is saying it's impossible for CUSA to get auto bid. So it doesn't matter unless Utep wins the conf tourney. I think it's difficult and unlikely, but not impossible. Belmont proved that. The road to do that is not easy though. It will take 25+ D1 victories no more than 6 losses with at least 2-4 quad 1 wins, some good Quad 2 wins and no bad losses and scheduling a top 75 non conference schedule. I remember when Gonzaga had to prove themeselves in the non conference to just make sure they had a shot at an at large. They just kept winning the conf tourney as well. Senter, Terry and the new president need to invest the time and money to get Utep back to the dominance of the 80s and early 90s. We have lost faith, understandably so, but it's not impossible, just going to be difficult unless there's dedication to make this a Basketball School once again!
To "the dominance of the 1980s and early '90s," you might add the 1960s and '70s. Those decades might be outside your personal frame of reference, but not mine. Let the records show the Miners took on all comers. It was a joy to watch those Don Haskins teams. The hallmarks: sharing the ball on offense, staunch team defense with a hand in every passing lane + the intangible -- electric, smoking hot home crowds in El Paso. Let it be once again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT