ADVERTISEMENT

jalen johnson

USAFminersfan

MI Regular
Nov 8, 2008
Small forward/SG listed at 6'6 has apparently been offered a scholarship by Floyd. Originally signed with Tennessee.

I'm hoping Buddah and Paul Thomas make leaps n bounds after coming in so highly rated and flopping! Sometimes it takes a year or two to adjust to D1

That's a different Jalen Johnson. The one who signed with Tennessee is from High Point, NC and is still signed. This Johnson is from New Orleans. Both are 6'6 and rated as 3-stars by Rivals. ESPN has the other Jalen rated higher.

This is our Jalen Johnson. Interestingly enough, both are left handed, but ours is what I would call a pure shooter. Has a stroke as sweet as yoohoo. Needs more time to develop though. Not ready to contribute immediately IMO.

Reactions: mikesarabia
I was there. Should have won that game. Came from double digits down to get within 2 or 3. Called a charge on Marlon Maxey disallowed the bucket. In reality Maxey got fouled.

Amen. That's exactly how I remember it. So close. Definitely my favorite Miner team of all time.

I was with a couple friends the night before the game and we were at a bar called Lynn Dickey's. Around closing time we noticed Johnny Melvin, Prince Stewart, and another player (can't remember who) walking around. I was a smart ass 21 year old who was half mangled by that point in the night, and went up to Melvin and asked him if Haskins would approve that they were out so late. He just looked at me with that Johnny "Smoove" Melvin smile and said, "I won't say nothin' if you don't". Didn't seem to affect their play one bit the next night. Good times.

Reactions: Rot
I was there. Should have won that game. Came from double digits down to get within 2 or 3. Called a charge on Marlon Maxey disallowed the bucket. In reality Maxey got fouled.
We lost by 2, and IIRC, we missed 2 or 3 dunks in the first few minutes. I know things might have played, but it would have been nice to have those points.

I remember Stewart getting a BS charge in the first half, then getting t'd up for protesting it. Valuable points right there.

Amen. That's exactly how I remember it. So close. Definitely my favorite Miner team of all time.

I was with a couple friends the night before the game and we were at a bar called Lynn Dickey's. Around closing time we noticed Johnny Melvin, Prince Stewart, and another player (can't remember who) walking around. I was a smart ass 21 year old who was half mangled by that point in the night, and went up to Melvin and asked him if Haskins would approve that they were out so late. He just looked at me with that Johnny "Smoove" Melvin smile and said, "I won't say nothin' if you don't". Didn't seem to affect their play one bit the next night. Good times.

Earlier that year the Miners had played a home game and won a nail biter. Can't remember who we beat, but Melvin had played a great game. I was surprised to see Melvin after the game at the 7-11 store on University Ave. stocking up on malt liquor. I didn't say anything to him, but wondered what Haskins would have done if he had seen him buying boos. I was a also a young college kid buying beer.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Earlier that year the Miners had played a home game and won a nail biter. Can't remember who we beat, but Melvin had played a great game. I was surprised to see Melvin after the game at the 7-11 store on University Ave. stocking up on malt liquor. I didn't say anything to him, but wondered what Haskins would have done if he had seen him buying boos. I was a also a young college kid buying beer.
He used to come into San Francisco Grill where I bartended. Nice young man and sure liked his Gin and Tonics. He was easy to talk to and had a great smile. He loved Haskins and loved giving Haskins a hard time, but loved in return!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Vastly underrated team. I was lucky enough to follow them the entire season and remember vividly the 3/4 heave by BYU to beat us in the WAC tourney. Also against Cinci in THE tourney, Prince Stewart rimmed out a 3 at the buzzer.

Vastly underrated team. I was lucky enough to follow them the entire season and remember vividly the 3/4 heave by BYU to beat us in the WAC tourney. Also against Cinci in THE tourney, Prince Stewart rimmed out a 3 at the buzzer.

Wholeheartedly agree. Thought we were an all around better team than Cinci, who ended up making the Final 4. "IF" we had gotten by Cinci then an overrated Memphis State team, with our veteran squad I think we could've handled the Fab 5 from Michigan. That team was so close to making a huge run. Definitely a top 10 team nationally that year.

I too liked that team, but my favorite team was the one that beat Arizona on their home court in the NCAA tournament. That team had Jeep Jackson, Quintan Gates, Chris Sandle, Chris Blocker, Mike Richmond, Soup Campbell, Tim Hardaway, Antonio Davis, Terry Stallworth, and others (hope I'm not leaving any key players out). Talk about talent and depth!

I too liked that team, but my favorite team was the one that beat Arizona on their home court in the NCAA tournament. That team had Jeep Jackson, Quintan Gates, Chris Sandle, Chris Blocker, Mike Richmond, Soup Campbell, Tim Hardaway, Antonio Davis, Terry Stallworth, and others (hope I'm not leaving any key players out). Talk about talent and depth!

Yes sir. Another outstanding team. Had Iowa against the ropes all game long in the 2nd round. Had we gotten by them, who knows what could've been. I think Iowa was the 1 seed in the region if I'm not mistaken. Those were the days...

Reactions: CoSpgsMinerfan
He used to come into San Francisco Grill where I bartended. Nice young man and sure liked his Gin and Tonics. He was easy to talk to and had a great smile. He loved Haskins and loved giving Haskins a hard time, but loved in return!

Johnny "smooth" was a joy to watch play. He hustled and played D. I had him for a class at UTEP and he always walked in late and had that "smooth" walk lol

I'll never forget the time that he stole the ball and was all alone headed to the basket for what looked like a sure highlight reel dunk! Right in front of Haskins and the Miner bench he did just that!!! o_O He slowed down and bounced the ball off the floor so high that he caught it and slammed it home for a super highlight reel gem!!! Haskins slapped his program on his thigh and turned around with that famous snarl of his!!! We were just laughing our heads off and whooping and cheering!!! He looked up at us and briefly let out a little smile (and I do mean briefly)!!! :cool:

Houston just picked up a 6' 6" JUCO All American with a similar skill set to Clyburn. Hoping that by waiting to commit he missed the bus to HTown and that we somehow pick him up.

Edit: Above I mentioned the similar skill sets between Clyburn and the All-American guy. Never mind, the AA is more of an inside presence and doesn't shoot the ball from behind the arc like Clyburn does. Houston and Coach Sampson will be hard for Clyburn to pass up is my guess.

Well, we have until May 18th to lock up signees. I don't remember a signing period going that long before but maybe I'm wrong. Also, recruits are getting more savvy. They're taking more trips and not committing as early as before. Most high majors are still offering and taking in visits. When they settle, everything settles. Also, there is the late period in the summer. That's when we got Moore last year. So plenty of time.

We now have an offer out to a 6-4 Guard/Small Foward out of Little Rock named Adrian Moore.

He is 6-8 215 averaged 16.1 ppg and 2.1 rpg (though I think the stats are wrong as he had many games with 12 + rebounds. A lot of double doubles)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT