ADVERTISEMENT

Golding Buy Out?

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure Goldings buy out at the end of the year. I figure UTEP would be on the hook for the remainder of his contract. With that said, I think he'll get brought back for at least another year. I wish we could let him go at the end of this year that is not going as well as we all hoped. If he stays and he probably will another year and loses again it'll be 3 straight losing seasons, and I don't think Senter will have a choice. We also didn't think he'd fire Dimel and he did, so maybe Senter is more inclined than we think to try and get a winner at a cost, but doubt it. I for one will say it appears I was wrong about Golding. I preferred him over Tang when hired, but that clearly was wrong. Golding has not sold UTEP basketball in a way to bring quality talent here. It's ridiculously embarrassing to lose to LMU by 20, Abilene Christian and Texas A&M CC (Who's in a down year) and Seattle at home. He's a nice guy, but he has grossly underachieved and I'm out on him as HC until he proves otherwise. Ra Ra, nice guy or whatever he's failed here, miserably!

I think at this point it is safe to say he stinks at recruiting and is a mediocre coach. I'd be ready to get rid of him now, but I agree that he will most likely get next season as well. I'm okay with keeping him another season as long as he shakes up his coaching staff. Unless Beard needs an assistant coach.

I've noticed that Jeremy Cox does some in game coaching, in some of the huddles. He does it in critical points of the games, like in late game situations. I thought that was kinda strange. I don't think Golding has full control. Isn't Cox a friend of Doc Sadler?

The loss to SU was disgusting, downright disgusting. He can still right this ship. UTEP plays and undermanned upstart NMSU and you bet your britches they have had this game circled in red for a few weeks at least. That still is no excuse for Golding to lose this one. He has a full bench and experience. I expect a close win.

The loss to SU was disgusting, downright disgusting. He can still right this ship. UTEP plays and undermanned upstart NMSU and you bet your britches they have had this game circled in red for a few weeks at least. That still is no excuse for Golding to lose this one. He has a full bench and experience. I expect a close win.
He has had many disgusting losses over the last two seasons.

Seattle is on the fringe of a top 100 NET ranking. That’s all I’ve asked of UTEP basketball. Y’all can say it’s a disgusting loss but the truth is losing to us would have been a disgusting loss for them. We’ve lost to much worse teams than those around the top 100.

I have been a Golding supporter until fairly recently. I have watched every game from start to finish this year, minus two. In my opinion, in order for him to right the ship, some of the guys CJG has assembled over the last few years would have to start knocking some outside shots down. However it is quite an anomaly when they do so, not the other way around. Most are shooting at, or near, their career percentages aside from Hardy. If it hasn’t clicked for them over a lifetime, it’s safe to say it just ain’t gonna click.

Will we win some games that perhaps we will be expected to lose? Probably. Again, every now and then we have enough guys knock some shots down on the same night that we actually look decent. As I said, it’s an anomaly when it happens though. They say you can polish a turd, but in order to do so it would have to be something more solid than the diarrhea we see most nights. Ain’t gonna happen. And that sux.

I have been a Golding supporter until fairly recently. I have watched every game from start to finish this year, minus two. In my opinion, in order for him to right the ship, some of the guys CJG has assembled over the last few years would have to start knocking some outside shots down. However it is quite an anomaly when they do so, not the other way around. Most are shooting at, or near, their career percentages aside from Hardy. If it hasn’t clicked for them over a lifetime, it’s safe to say it just ain’t gonna click.

Will we win some games that perhaps we will be expected to lose? Probably. Again, every now and then we have enough guys knock some shots down on the same night that we actually look decent. As I said, it’s an anomaly when it happens though. They say you can polish a turd, but in order to do so it would have to be something more solid than the diarrhea we see most nights. Ain’t gonna happen. And that sux.
I agree 100%. I will add that a team without any offensive inside presence is easy to defend. When that same team can't make an outside shot, you get the results we have seen. Golding mentioned point blank last year that his recruiting was focused on getting better shooters. If you look at the guys added (Powell, Camper, Horton, Jones, Terrell and now Hebb), we can see Golding fell short. On top of that, he was unable to bring in a serviceable big who could contribute. Did he really think the combination of Kalu and Hamilton would be able to fill that role? He is now looking at working through Solomon and Powell/Hardy/Frazier in the post. I guess trying anything different is at this point is worth a shot. I just don't see it making much difference, unfortunately.

We’re just in year three, but UTEP needs to grow a pair and hold coaches accountable. Sean Kugler should have been shit canned by year 4. Dimmel should have never gotten a 6th given how hideous that offense looked. If Golding is going to play .500 ball, why reward that by letting him stick around? I’m sick of watching these teams die these long protracted deaths. After year 3 you sure as hell should know what you have in your coach.

We’re just in year three, but UTEP needs to grow a pair and hold coaches accountable. Sean Kugler should have been shit canned by year 4. Dimmel should have never gotten a 6th given how hideous that offense looked. If Golding is going to play .500 ball, why reward that by letting him stick around? I’m sick of watching these teams die these long protracted deaths. After year 3 you sure as hell should know what you have in your coach.
Yep and especially in the current setting of college athletics. 3 years is more than enough.

Golding can't recruit top players or coach offense. Defense is meh. The price to pay is too much for that nonsense.

Ok question

We have always been considered a basketball school for stuff we did 20 years ago … so on that note do you think Golding has as much time as dimel or because of that perception of being a basketball school he could actually not make it past next season

Don’t tell me what you want to happen
I’m asking what do you think Senters view of this is

Ok question

We have always been considered a basketball school for stuff we did 20 years ago … so on that note do you think Golding has as much time as dimel or because of that perception of being a basketball school he could actually not make it past next season

For stuff we did 20 years ago? Think you meant stuff we did nearly 60 years ago? UTEP is stuck living in their past. Today’s student athletes GRANDPARENTS weren’t even born yet. 🤡

• Wow
Reactions: nattybry
Ok question

Senter view is probably getting as much cash saved for a buyout with the two money games next season in football

For stuff we did 20 years ago? Think you meant stuff we did nearly 60 years ago? UTEP is stuck living in their past. Today’s student athletes GRANDPARENTS weren’t even born yet. 🤡
60 years ago? You must not have been around in the early 90s and 80s. There were some great teams within that time span. Now, if you say, "OK, but even 30 and 40 years is too long ago", I'd completely agree with you.

Ok question

Dana Dimel’s 3rd season was the Covid year and El Paso was the nations hot spot in the middle of the season. Year 4 he made a bowl. In Senter’s defense, things were really look up in Football at that point.

In Basketball, because you only need 5 guys, it’s more obvious.

I think Golding is in the hot seat and I think Senter would pull the trigger

60 years ago? You must not have been around in the early 90s and 80s. There were some great teams within that time span. Now, if you say, "OK, but even 30 and 40 years is too long ago", I'd completely agree with you.
I was very much around for the 80s and 90s. But what is it UTEP always highly promotes with their basketball program, at least before Baylor ruined it a few years ago? You can show potential recruits that banner hanging in the Haskins Center, and they’ll likely reply, “Meh, what have you’ve done lately?”

Ok when I said 20 years ago — wow I was talking about the 80s but that’s more 33-37 years ago …. I just realized and felt how old I am …. I used to go to all those games as a kid…

• Haha
Reactions: Lil_Train
I was very much around for the 80s and 90s. But what is it UTEP always highly promotes with their basketball program, at least before Baylor ruined it a few years ago? You can show potential recruits that banner hanging in the Haskins Center, and they’ll likely reply, “Meh, what have you’ve done lately?”
Agree with that. Also think that was the case even before Baylor became the 2nd school in the state to win a natty. That achievement is still special to some fans, however I agree that recruits could care less about it, and it isn't anything to hang your hat on as a program.

Ok when I said 20 years ago — wow I was talking about the 80s but that’s more 33-37 years ago …. I just realized and felt how old I am …. I used to go to all those games as a kid…

Me too, feel the same way. Those teams and players were amazing and my heroes as a middle and high school player. Played against McCall in HS. Had some classes w/ him and VanDyke at UTEP. Damn those guys are old now.

Dana Dimel’s 3rd season was the Covid year and El Paso was the nations hot spot in the middle of the season. Year 4 he made a bowl. In Senter’s defense, things were really look up in Football at that point.

In Basketball, because you only need 5 guys, it’s more obvious.

I think Golding is in the hot seat and I think Senter would pull the trigger
UTEP Athletics is always crying poverty. Do you think they can fire Dimel, Hire Walden, expand his staff AND buy out Golding and his staff?

UTEP Athletics is always crying poverty. Do you think they can fire Dimel, Hire Walden, expand his staff AND buy out Golding and his staff?

UTEP is poverty in the fact that they don’t have a new Arena (DHC almost 50), no indoor practice facility, no student performance center, etc….

They are facility poor and salary frugal, but they have a healthy budget. They dont have millions to invest in that stuff but they’ve got money to buy out a Coach.

Yes

UTEP leads in football and basketball attendance. They will receive money from Liberty’s Fiest Bowl appearance. They have money coming from FAUs Final 4 appearance. They have money from the 9 schools that left recently. Exit fees and forfeiture of other monies.

UTEP isn’t Liberty, but they’re not about to shut down the department either.

My only hope is that since Senter appears to be on the hot seat, hopefully he won't be complacent and he'll make a move like he did in football.

It's sad because I like Golding, but the results speak for themselves. Golding is also keeping me from ENTIRELY drinking the Walden koolaid. I loved Golding's passion and fire, too, when he first arrived. But at least Walden appears to be building a strong infrastructure for the football program.

My only hope is that since Senter appears to be on the hot seat, hopefully he won't be complacent and he'll make a move like he did in football.

It's sad because I like Golding, but the results speak for themselves. Golding is also keeping me from ENTIRELY drinking the Walden koolaid. I loved Golding's passion and fire, too, when he first arrived. But at least Walden appears to be building a strong infrastructure for the football program.
Senter had enthusiasm when he first arrived. He had town halls and had a slogan. Where is he now? Hiding in his office probably

Bronzeing met fans at Lucy’s and picked up your check if you bought season tickets. Where has he been since?

What fan interaction or opportunities has UTEP given to fans since then? Can’t use Covid as an excuse anymore.

As soon as the going gets rough, they’re never seen, except at the radio shows because they get paid to do so.

It’s not a money issue. Senter wants his hires to succeed and will give them every chance to do so. As long as Golding finishes around .500 he’ll be back next season for redemption. Idk if .500 will be enough after year 4.

Yes

UTEP leads in football and basketball attendance. They will receive money from Liberty’s Fiest Bowl appearance. They have money coming from FAUs Final 4 appearance. They have money from the 9 schools that left recently. Exit fees and forfeiture of other monies.

UTEP isn’t Liberty, but they’re not about to shut down the department either.
I agree, if the guy isn’t winning it’s time to move on. And like you said, I agree 100% that keeping on to losing coaches does more harm than good. But Senter was so slow to fire Dimel I’m going to stay skeptical until I see it happen.

He has had many disgusting losses over the last two seasons.
I could swallow a loss to SU. They were starving for a road win, according to announcers they were in EP for a while and practiced (got acclimated) and they do have a legit future NBA’er. This was a trap game, sort of, and tune up.

Anyways, I don’t disagree with you but I am a fan who supports T&D: Time & Development. The memories of Miner legends struggling initially and causing despair and disgust are all to vivid. But this is year three for CG.

Moccia pulled off a heist in Hooten hire the day the news broke. He turned SHSU into a solid mid major. He will have them contending for the CUSA crown next year along with McKay at Liberty & Lutz at WKU.

Hooten and Golding maybe buds, but expect him to be the proverbial “thorn in the side” of UTEP.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT