ADVERTISEMENT

Jones arrested for pot and DUI

978.jpg

Reactions: axingfools1
What the hell is going with everything associated with UTEP athletics. AJ, you are better than that. It’s not worth throwing away a great career over drugs and alcohol.

Marijuana use is really high with college and pro players to deal with pain. I'm not making excuses, but it's reality. Kug's reference to the "dumpster fire" administration was because that was allegedly part of the problem.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
He is so talented, and it’s unfortunate that this is his second arrest. I hope a pattern isn’t emerging with him.

Marijuana use is really high with college and pro players to deal with pain. I'm not making excuses, but it's reality. Kug's reference to the "dumpster fire" administration was because that was allegedly part of the problem.

Truth. I'd add that it is just as equally used for pleasure, though.

Reactions: utep2step
Even if you want to excuse the recreational use of it, there is no excuse for speeding and driving under any influence.

UTEP has already lost one great in Thomas Howard due to a traffic death, this is now AJ's second time for being arrested due to a substance related traffic stop. Let's hope this is the final time that we hear about something like this with him.

I smoke Marijuana after breakfast to take away my 'pain', then I speed with no driver's license. NOT!

At least AJ has manners. I bet he was real polite with the cops. I mean he admitted to smoking weed when he didn't even have it on him. I bet he said yes sir when asked to stand in one leg. Sigh. This is how it started with Jon Jones.

So sad that anything connected to UTEP just seems to implode. A promising career and he self sabotages it. All he has to do when he goes in front of the judge is give them Tim Floyd's record and the judge will understand and throw the case out as he cannot be held accountable if no one at UTEP or their athletic department can either.

This has to be a huge disappointment to his family back in El Paso. Will be interesting to see if Green Bay will give him another chance once he is healthy again.

My guess would be no since they didn't invest much for him. I hope he saved his money!

Green Bay coach said they will make a decision when legal part plays out. Based on precedent, he will get suspended for some games. Bad side, Green Bay can afford to let him go. Upside, he learns from it. Deals with his suspension and GB gives him (only) one get out of jail free card because he has potential growth and promising future.

The league will suspend him even if the charges are dropped. I'm guessing he loses the momentum he had and will have to earn his way back. Guess we'll see

Hope he sees what a dumb ass move that was. Unless it medical marijuana no sense in ruining your future just to get high.
Thought he was smarter than this.
Hope his parents ream his ass.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Sorry, not a lot of sympathy from this corner. Jones was largely spared the rod for a similar transgression less than two years ago. His fines/suspension this time will likely far exceed what most of us make in a year. And he's not a kid anymore, he's a grown man. He's learning that some lessons are better not learned the hard way.

No lesson learned from the second kick of a mule. And apparently there wasn't one learned after the first...

I think that video pretty much guarantees his NFL days are over. GB will release him for sure.

Last edited:
Man, maybe I'm a bit naive, but I just don't see him being let go. NFLers get popped all the time. He'll be offered the opportunity to go through substance abuse counseling and then get at least one more chance with the Pack, is my guess.

Stage One of the NFL's Intervention Program. Stage One is simple, the medical director evaluates a player and then comes up with a treatment plan for him at a facility or through a clinician. The player is subject to substance abuse testing, but it is not yet at surprise at this point. Stage One can last up to 90 days. Violations of Stage One only result in a penalty of a fine. If a player successfully completes Stage One, they are free, but they enter Stage Two if they fail.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
This isn't a first infraction. Remember the NFL takes into consideration college incidents as well. I don't think he'll be released, but definitely suspended. It's also for more than one offense.

Not going to kick him off for weed. Will be suspended for six games per nfl protocol.

NFL = Not For Long

That is not the NFL protocol for marijuana and remember, Jones was also arrested for DUI. Those two issues plus domestic abuse are REAL hot buttons with the league. Players at or near #56 on the active roster or the practice squad need not get too comfortable, they need the NFL more than it needs them.

Somebody better get Jones' attention in a hurry...

This isn't a first infraction. Remember the NFL takes into consideration college incidents as well. I don't think he'll be released, but definitely suspended. It's also for more than one offense.
Are you sure about that? Joe Mixon wasn't suspended. Dak got a DUI like a week before the draft and didn't suffer any consequences that we know of.

Regardless, getting suspended and fined are the lowest priority. He probably built up just enough equity with his performance that he'll get a semi-pass on this one. The bigger issues are one, he needs to get some help. Two, the first one would have been brought up in the predraft process. Aaron told them, "I'm young. I made a mistake. I learned from it, and it'll never happen again." And all the people that vouched for him told them, "He's young. He made a mistake. He learned from it, and it'll never happen again." Now, not even 6 months into his pro career, it's happened again. It makes Aaron look like a liar and totally unreliable. And it makes whomever vouched for him look like a liar. He'll probably have to sit for a game or two next year and be lighter in the pocketbook. But, he better mind his P&Qs for the rest of his career, because this probably going to be his last second chance.

I've been thinking this recently. Does anyone want to draft Will this year? It just seems like everything that has been touched by UTEP football this year has turned to crap.

I wonder if Joe Mixon's incident being 3 years ago is why he wasn't punished by the NFL. Either that or because he was suspended by Oklahoma already. He also got fined with a deferred sentence so I can only guess this is why he didn't get six games like Ezekiel Elliott.

I think the bigger issue is the DUI. He'll get suspended for that and I imagine Roger Goodell has power over any increase in the punishment.

I wonder if Joe Mixon's incident being 3 years ago is why he wasn't punished by the NFL. Either that or because he was suspended by Oklahoma already. He also got fined with a deferred sentence so I can only guess this is why he didn't get six games like Ezekiel Elliott.

I think the bigger issue is the DUI. He'll get suspended for that and I imagine Roger Goodell has power over any increase in the punishment.

That. Maybe a combo of both.

I think that video pretty much guarantees his NFL days are over. GB will release him for sure.
No way he is released. He needs to get stop acting a fool though. He comes across as a good kid that just can't control himself.

No way he is released. He needs to get stop acting a fool though. He comes across as a good kid that just can't control himself.

While I agree, and I'm not minimizing the severity of his actions, AJ is absolutely a good kid, especially in comparison to so many of his peers. He just happens to be getting caught doing what, anywhere between, 60-75% of his peers are doing. Again, not excusing his actions, but this is so common place. I don't think he's out of control. Just making a few really bad choices. Just my take, though.

The severity comes in when he gets behind the wheel.

I'm a fan of aaron. I follow him on twitter. I cheer for him on Sundays.
BUT....

Let's not be naive. You don't just wake up one morning and have weed in your house and think "Hey, I think I'll get high this morning". He just HAPPENED to have it at home? I would bet he has indulged on more than one occasion in the past. I'm not judging, but let's not put him on a pedestal either.

I don't think he will be suspended or fined. I think he will get a slap on the wrist. If he is dumb enough to do it again, I wouldn't blame them if they released him.

I'm a fan of aaron. I follow him on twitter. I cheer for him on Sundays.
BUT....

Let's not be naive. You don't just wake up one morning and have weed in your house and think "Hey, I think I'll get high this morning". He just HAPPENED to have it at home? I would bet he has indulged on more than one occasion in the past. I'm not judging, but let's not put him on a pedestal either.

I don't think he will be suspended or fined. I think he will get a slap on the wrist. If he is dumb enough to do it again, I wouldn't blame them if they released him.

Who put him on a pedestal?

Of course he has a stash at home. Of course he's done it more than the one time. Again, it's part of the culture and is accepted as such by almost everyone in the NFL, yet not by the actual organization itself.

While I agree, and I'm not minimizing the severity of his actions, AJ is absolutely a good kid, especially in comparison to so many of his peers. He just happens to be getting caught doing what, anywhere between, 60-75% of his peers are doing.

A good kid doesn't break the law.

I don't think 60-75% of 23 year olds are doing pot.

I hope he finally learned his lesson this time.

Reactions: Cube Jack
A good kid doesn't break the law.

I don't think 60-75% of 23 year olds are doing pot.

I hope he finally learned his lesson this time.

I'm no expert, but my son has been with two different D1 fb programs. I can assure you that 60% is on the low end in that culture. I'm not talking about the general public. No where did I compare to the general public. In fact I said in "that culture".

And I'm sure you grew up with most of the advantages, so don't be so judgmental. It's not exactly a level playing field. Most of the kids playing college football come from inner city, or come from an impoverished situation, in one sense or another.

One thing we agree on, I hope he's learned his lesson too.

Reactions: develman
I'm no expert, but my son has been with two different D1 fb programs. I can assure you that 60% is on the low end in that culture. I'm not talking about the general public. No where did I compare to the general public. In fact I said in "that culture".

And I'm sure you grew up with most of the advantages, so don't be so judgmental. It's not exactly a level playing field. Most of the kids playing college football come from inner city, or come from an impoverished situation, in one sense or another.

One thing we agree on, I hope he's learned his lesson too.

What does people impoverished have to do with doing pot?

Where are the kids getting the money for the pot? You say these kids are impoverished right? I have to disagree that most kids playing college football come from impoverished areas. Sure, it's some, but not most.

I grew up with most of the advantages? Not sure what that even means.

What does people impoverished have to do with doing pot?

Where are the kids getting the money for the pot? You say these kids are impoverished right? I have to disagree that most kids playing college football come from impoverished areas. Sure, it's some, but not most.

I grew up with most of the advantages? Not sure what that even means.

A lot, actually.

Never mind. This would go round and round with you. No thanks.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT