ADVERTISEMENT

Jones arrested for pot and DUI

I have no clue clue what being impoverished has to do with doing pot.

Jones grew up with the "advantages" and he does pot.

I thought you didn't even know what "most of the advantages" meant. Yet you're saying Jones had them.

Show me where I said Jones didn't grow up with most of the advantages. I specifically referred to most D 1 players not growing up with them.

See why I don't want to play your game?

Next question from 777..."What game? I was just trying to have a conversation."

I thought you didn't even know what "most of the advantages" meant. Yet you're saying Jones had them.

Show me where I said Jones didn't grow up with most of the advantages. I specifically referred to most D 1 players not growing up with them.

See why I don't want to play your game?

Next question from 777..."What game? I was just trying to have a conversation."

My guess is you meant a middle class upbringing? I never thought that was an "advantage".

I never said you said that. I said Jones grew up with the "advantages" and he does pot.

All I'm asking is what is the correlation between being impoverished and doing pot?

Also, I disagree that most college football players come from impoverished families.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
My guess is you meant a middle class upbringing? I never thought that was an "advantage".

I never said you said that. I said Jones grew up with the "advantages" and he does pot.

All I'm asking is what is the correlation between being impoverished and doing pot?

Also, I disagree that most college football players come from impoverished families.

Let's take this a paragraph at a time.

1. So you're telling me that you don't think growing up middle class has its advantages over growing up in a lower socioeconomic status? Really?

2. It was you who brought Jones up as being middle class when that had nothing specifically to do with the conversation. Yes, both class and Jones were being discussed, but not together so your point is really irrelevant...at least in my conversation...which is what you responded to.

3. Lower socioeconomic status appears to correlate with increased marijuana use, although studies are fairly inconclusive and mixed. I base it off my own experience working in a couple different school districts. So you can take that for what it's worth and come up with your own conclusions.

4. And as far as where players come from, this may not be exact but it's a good place to start.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...tes-poverty-paid-scholarships-ncpa-texas-duke

I'll read your response, if you have one, but I've said all I'm going to say about the matter. It is now beyond beating a dead horse.

1.) I never felt that I grew up with advantages because I never felt like I had an advantage over anybody. I knew people who got a lot more than me and a lot less than me. I knew people with trust funds, got to go on many trips, new car at graduation, etc. I knew people who got less who got to go to UTEP for free because their parents didn't make that much. My parents made too much so I got $0 financial aid while going to UTEP and I had to pay out of pocket.

2.) It was just a side comment.

3.) "although studies are fairly inconclusive and mixed"- well that was easy

4.) That link talks about athletes in college, not how they grew up. It even stated: "However, a majority of students in college—those who play sports and those who don’t—fall well below the federal poverty line." Probably true since I didn't work full time while going to school full time so I probably fell below the poverty line as well.

True on #4. But ask yourself who the 14% are that don't fall under the poverty line. Perhaps student athletes whose parents can afford to send them additional money? Perhaps a large portion of that other 86% have families who experience financial hardship. I know we send our son money. We are middle class and not wealthy by any means. A family would have to be pretty strapped to not be able to send their student athlete child additional support. A majority of my son's teammates live upon what the institution provides them with. Even though room and board are paid for, most don't receive a dime of additional support from their families. I can't imagine it's because their parents like to see them struggle. Maybe they don't have too much choice in the matter, financially speaking.

Reactions: develman
True on #4. But ask yourself who the 14% are that don't fall under the poverty line. Perhaps student athletes whose parents can afford to send them additional money? Perhaps a large portion of that other 86% have families who experience financial hardship. I know we send our son money. We are middle class and not wealthy by any means. A family would have to be pretty strapped to not be able to send their student athlete child additional support. A majority of my son's teammates live upon what the institution provides them with. Even though room and board are paid for, most don't receive a dime of additional support from their families. I can't imagine it's because their parents like to see them struggle. Maybe they don't have too much choice in the matter, financially speaking.

The 14% are probably the people who go part-time and work full time and people who get money from their parents.

I lived at home and couldn't afford to go away for college. I got $0 extra money from my parents. They weren't going to pay for my entertainment. I got $5 a week in high school as an allowance. I drove an almost twenty year old car. I worked in college and made my own money.

Like I said, just because I grew up in a middle class household doesn't mean I had advantages.

The 14% are probably the people who go part-time and work full time and people who get money from their parents.

I lived at home and couldn't afford to go away for college. I got $0 extra money from my parents. They weren't going to pay for my entertainment. I got $5 a week in high school as an allowance. I drove an almost twenty year old car. I worked in college and made my own money.

Like I said, just because I grew up in a middle class household doesn't mean I had advantages.

No, the study is talking about college athletes in particular and just happens to mention the typical college student as a cross reference. One cannot be a part time student and a college athlete. A student athlete must amass 12 credit hours per fall/spring to remain eligible. On top of that, cfb players spend an average of 43 hours a week devoted to fb related activity and 38 hours a week devoted to academics. That's an 80 hour work week. Parents know that. Most parents want to help out as much as they can, one would think. Seeing as how 86% of student athletes live in poverty, and considering parents don't have to pay a dime for room and board, you'd think maybe they would float a few bucks their kid's way...since they're working so hard and can't go earn extra money. Unless....they can't really afford to?

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/564508

Pot is legal in many states and less harmful than alcohol. It will be legal Nationwide in the next 10 years. I'm sure lots of you drink. Seems like people here making a bigger deal about it than it should be. His biggest mistake was driving after he did it. Bad judgment there.

No, the study is talking about college athletes in particular and just happens to mention the typical college student as a cross reference. One cannot be a part time student and a college athlete. A student athlete must amass 12 credit hours per fall/spring to remain eligible. On top of that, cfb players spend an average of 43 hours a week devoted to fb related activity and 38 hours a week devoted to academics. That's an 80 hour work week. Parents know that. Most parents want to help out as much as they can, one would think. Seeing as how 86% of student athletes live in poverty, and considering parents don't have to pay a dime for room and board, you'd think maybe they would float a few bucks their kid's way...since they're working so hard and can't go earn extra money. Unless....they can't really afford to?

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/564508

I was talking about students in general regarding being part-time.

I guess if you can afford to do it then why not?

I'm still waiting to hear about the "advantages" I had.

Athletes can't work in the summer to make money or during the offseason?

You think students study 26 hours a week? I don't know anybody that studied 26 hours a week. They should have much higher grades if they really study that much.

I'm surprised they even have time to do smoke pot or do anything else since they work 80 hours a week. :rolleyes:

Pot is legal in many states and less harmful than alcohol. It will be legal Nationwide in the next 10 years. I'm sure lots of you drink. Seems like people here making a bigger deal about it than it should be. His biggest mistake was driving after he did it. Bad judgment there.

I totally agree, but he's still an idiot for doing that.

I was talking about students in general regarding being part-time.

I guess if you can afford to do it then why not?

I'm still waiting to hear about the "advantages" I had.

Athletes can't work in the summer to make money or during the offseason?

You think students study 26 hours a week? I don't know anybody that studied 26 hours a week. They should have much higher grades if they really study that much.

I'm surprised they even have time to do smoke pot or do anything else since they work 80 hours a week. :rolleyes:

You truly operate off of a lot of assumptions, man.

Oh, and about those "advantages", I'm pretty sure you have benefited from the mind set that a middle class upbringing afforded you. Things like a belief in yourself to be able to make it in the world because you were saturated in empirical evidence of it being possible. Or, having the time to study because your mom didn't leave you to raise your 3 brothers and 2 sisters while she worked whatever minimum wage job she could. Or never even having to be concerned about having a roof over your head and not having to hear your parents fight about where the rent money was going to come from. A lot of energy is freed up to pursue a "normal" life when you're not consumed by those kinds of worries. That's not even the half of it for some. Just saying. I'd call not having to worry about those things "advantages". Call them whatever you want, though.

Enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving.

You truly operate off of a lot of assumptions, man.

Oh, and about those "advantages", I'm pretty sure you have benefited from the mind set that a middle class upbringing afforded you. Things like a belief in yourself to be able to make it in the world because you were saturated in empirical evidence of it being possible. Or, having the time to study because your mom didn't leave you to raise your 3 brothers and 2 sisters while she worked whatever minimum wage job she could. Or never even having to be concerned about having a roof over your head and not having to hear your parents fight about where the rent money was going to come from. A lot of energy is freed up to pursue a "normal" life when you're not consumed by those kinds of worries. That's not even the half of it for some. Just saying. I'd call not having to worry about those things "advantages". Call them whatever you want, though.

Enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving.

I'm not assuming that athletes work in the summer because I know they do.

Um, you're going for the extremes. Most people don't grow up like that, so I guess most of us had "advantages".

Parents fight in all classes. Bad things happen in all classes. Nobody is immune to anything.

I worked my way through college while others got to go for free and didn't work.

Like I said, I'm still waiting for all my "advantages", but I know I will never get them.

I'm happy with all the things I accomplished and what I have, but please don't tell me I had is easier than most people because that is 100% false. You can be poor and have a great family, but no money and be rich and have an awful family with all the money in the world. Money doesn't solve everything.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if it's legal in 100% of the states, if your job says you can't partake, then you flipping stop doing it. Especially when that job will help you live comfortably the rest of your life. He got caught because it's still illegal where he is AND he was well over the speed limit.. BOTH are bad decisions.

Stats show there is a rise in accidents caused by people that are high on pot. In fact, many studies say it is now higher (no pun intended) than drunk drivers.
I have many friends that get high daily. I just don't care. But if you choose to do it, then lose your job and/or get arrested, don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you.

Hey Fanati.....we all seem to get suckered into an endless back and forth with our resident debate club troll. I see you are the latest victim. o_O

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Hey Fanati.....we all seem to get suckered into an endless back and forth with our resident debate club troll. I see you are the latest victim. o_O

It's not the first time. Whiskey gets me going from time to time. Lol.

What makes me laugh looking back at the convo is that I said I was done early in the back and forth...not once but twice.:)

Reactions: EPTUTEP

I see your point. But prostitution is legal in places as is gambling. Age of consent in some parts of the world is 14. Doesn't make it ok to break the law everywhere.

Also, your employer has rules that supersede or can be more strict than local law.

It's not the first time. Whiskey gets me going from time to time. Lol.

What makes me laugh looking back at the convo is that I said I was done early in the back and forth...not once but twice.:)

Now that cracks me up....now you see how I roll, but with hornitos or fireball...I've done same thing numerous times with this clown.....

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Anyone who has lost a loved one or been hurt physically or financially by an impaired driver can tell you it's not something to be taken lightly... and though booze is legal throughout the country DWI/DUI is not.

No troll here. I was told I had so many "advantages" growing up, but not one was even stated. If people backed up what they state I wouldn't have to keep responding.

DUI's are a BIG deal!

No troll here. I was told I had so many "advantages" growing up, but not one was even stated. If people backed up what they state I wouldn't have to keep responding.

So you not liking the answers I gave you equates to "not one was even stated"?

You're just like a little kid. Don't even reply because I won't see it......until you come back as somebody else...which I give it a month. Adios cabron!

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
So you not liking the answers I gave you equates to "not one was even stated"?

You're just like a little kid. Don't even reply because I won't see it......until you come back as somebody else...which I give it a month. Adios cabron!

You never gave any, that's why I kept asking. What "advantages" did I have?

Hilarious that some people who have nothing to add say "you're a troll" or say "don't even reply because I won't see it".

I wonder why you keep responding to a clown like me. lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT