ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Weeks Transfering

UTEPMiners8106

MI Hall of Famer
Jul 15, 2013

This isn’t exactly Gronk leaving The Patriots, but I am suprised he is leaving. I wonder what his motives are for transferring since he was 1 of 2 returning TEs (the other being Trent Thompson). Weeks had a 19.3 YPC which lead the team and you would think he would be the favorite to take over the starting spot since Lucero graduated. Well I wish him nothing but the best, but I hope Dimmel and co have a couple of TEs they’re looking at because that is now a priority.

I think other players will be leaving. Dimel needs to clean up kuglers mess.

He's probably transferring because he is tired of losing and wants to go to a team that can go to a bowl game.

Could be. But his wife/girlfriend is tagging coaches from San Jose St., Texas St., NAU, Troy, Toledo to name a few. So I don’t know if it’s that much of a step up.

Could be. But his wife/girlfriend is tagging coaches from San Jose St., Texas St., NAU, Troy, Toledo to name a few. So I don’t know if it’s that much of a step up.

Toledo won a conference championship last year and are appearing in their 5th straight bowl game.

Troy won a conference championship last year. Troy has been to 3 straight bowl games and won their previous 2 bowl games.

So yes, that would be a HUGE step up from UTEP.

UTEP is the worst team in college football, so any team would be a step up from playing at UTEP. Sad, but true.

It's a blow to this team to lose him, but who can blame him? It is in his interest to transfer to a team who has a quarterback that is capable of throwing the ball around the yard. If he has any interest in playing beyond college it is imperative that he shows what he can do, and so being on a club without a decent passing attack certainly doesn't help his cause. Best of luck to him though, he'll be missed!

Grad transfers do so to see the field more. NFL will see players no matter what school and no matter what conference. UTEP is bringing in a very good JUCO TE and there is a likelihood that Weeks may be 2nd team once again. He will transfer to wherever he has the best shot at being the starter.

And players don't transfer so they might have a shot at playing in a minor bowl with Troy. If he ends up a Troy or NAU it's because he will see the field more there.

MinerinWisconsin, who is the JUCO tight end they are bringing in? I haven't been keeping up with the recruits very closely.

It's not a loss. Tight end is our biggest area of need on offense outside of QB. I dont think we had a d1 tight end on the roster. Good news for UTEP as it opens up a scholarship.

It's a blow to this team to lose him, but who can blame him? It is in his interest to transfer to a team who has a quarterback that is capable of throwing the ball around the yard. If he has any interest in playing beyond college it is imperative that he shows what he can do, and so being on a club without a decent passing attack certainly doesn't help his cause. Best of luck to him though, he'll be missed!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he transfer TO UTEP while under Kugler with a run first, second and third based offense? Either way I wish him luck too.

It's not a loss. Tight end is our biggest area of need on offense outside of QB. I dont think we had a d1 tight end on the roster. Good news for UTEP as it opens up a scholarship.
I agree. TE are critical for Dimel's offense. If Dimel gets this offense running like it's supposed to, the TE is a nice relief valve and/or short to mid threat because (in a nice perfect world) it peels away one of the LB's and if the TE has good hands they can get that third down and 6 plus yardage plays. UTEP did not have such a threat. KSU always had reliable TE's for this type of offense.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I know Trent Thompson is the only TE left on the roster. He played a little as a true freshman, but what do you guys think of him? Worse come to worse he’s next man up. I know he’s a big body but if I remember correctly he was used mostly as a blocker no?

He graduated on Saturday. I bet the staff pulled his scholarship. He graduated and couldn't help us on the field I have no problem with the decision.

I hate to say it, but I think that we could use many more transfers out. I would like to see 2 of the 3 young QB's move on as well, freeing up a couple of more scholarships.

Weeks was a quality receiver, but always struggled with run blocking, which made him more of a flex player than a true TE.

I think that Weeks could find a nice role somewhere where they will utilize him differently and he might put up some some decent numbers as a Senior, but UTEP needs a couple of true TE's who can both block and catch. He just didn't fit that.

Thompson played mostly as a FB this past year. He did well in that role and I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed there.

I hate to say it, but I think that we could use many more transfers out. I would like to see 2 of the 3 young QB's move on as well, freeing up a couple of more scholarships.

Weeks was a quality receiver, but always struggled with run blocking, which made him more of a flex player than a true TE.

I think that Weeks could find a nice role somewhere where they will utilize him differently and he might put up some some decent numbers as a Senior, but UTEP needs a couple of true TE's who can both block and catch. He just didn't fit that.

Thompson played mostly as a FB this past year. He did well in that role and I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed there.

That would leave us with 0 Tight Ends and 4 FBs. I can’t image that would be ideal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT