ADVERTISEMENT

Julyan Stone signs guaranteed contract with Hornets

Fantastic Barbee recruit and lock down defender. Loved watching him. Will never forget when he frustrated the hell out of Fredette in their gym.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27096-1369334913-0.gif

He and JWash were the best lock down defenders to wear a Miner uni in decades, IMO.

Reactions: unihorn
But who does Stone thanks thatbgot him to the NBA?? Doesnt he like Floyd more than Barbee? Barbee bailed on the team and was a traitor.

That Jason Williams was good as well. However, Stone and JWash defense would probably make Haskins buy St. Peter some beer and tacos to sit and watch.

That Jason Williams was good as well. However, Stone and JWash defense would probably make Haskins buy St. Peter some beer and tacos to sit and watch.
The same would be said of Jason Williams, except that Haskins was still alive so he got to enjoy it in real-time.

Jason Williams was Billy G's go-to lock-down defender. If there was a player who needed to be shut down, he'd stick Jason Williams on him. He was instrumental in our victory over the Sweet-16 Nevada team; I don't think UTEP has had a more impressive win since.

Stone has said that with Floyd connections he was able to get on a NBA team. When he went to Denver i forgot the name but one of the coaches were friends with Floyd. I think now he is GM for the raptors.

Congrats to J.Stone! He played his way back onto an NBA team. I hope this time around he sticks for a while. Now if we could just get Vince Hunter to latch on somewhere we can get this thing rolling...NFL and NBA

Where is Barbee? Where is Doc? Where is Gillispie?

What point are you trying to make? I doubt it's a good one. Those coaches won conference titles and all made trips to the NCAAs here. Tim Floyd has been unable to do either and he has coached here 7 years.

If Billy stayed at TAMU and didn't go to Kentucky, he would have won a national title and been a legend.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
You're not a traitor for taking a job that pays a lot more money. It's called a smart choice.

So taking a job while you still coaching and are in the ncaa tourney. Still have a job to finish is not bailing? He couldnt wait after the season to look for a better job?

So taking a job while you still coaching and are in the ncaa tourney. Still have a job to finish is not bailing? He couldnt wait after the season to look for a better job?

He was here four years, brought in exciting talent, and did a damn good job.

Reactions: develman
I bet Barbie wished he stayed at UTEP where he was successful. Look at him now, he is back in the back seat. Billy G had a drinking problem that is what
took him down. Doc was a good recruiter but he wasn't a great coach.

GO Miners..

I bet Barbie wished he stayed at UTEP where he was successful. Look at him now, he is back in the back seat. Billy G had a drinking problem that is what

GO Miners..
Barbee's probably making more as Cal's assistant at Kentucky than he was as the head coach at UTEP. In fact, it's even more than he made at Auburn, at least his base salary of $225,000. His salary now is $375,000; how much did he make at UTEP?

As for Doc, I think you have that backwards; he was a good coach (took Billy G's players to the NCAA) but a lousy recruiter (left the cupboard bare for Barbee).

Last edited:

GO Miners..

Doubt it, but I wish he'd stayed longer.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
That's just how it is in coaching. A coach can be loyal to a school and get fired at anytime by that school. It goes both ways.
Going to Auburn was a win win for Barbee. Put yourselves in his shoes...you get to go coach in the SEC and make millions of dollars. If you aren't successful and get fired, you still make millions from your contract buyout. It doesn't get much better than that.

Reactions: sportsfan5000
Barbee's probably making more as Cal's assistant at Kentucky than he was as the head coach at UTEP. In fact, it's even more than he made at Auburn, at least his base salary of $225,000. His salary now is $375,000; how much did he make at UTEP?

As for Doc, I think you have that backwards; he was a good coach (took Billy G's players to the NCAA) but a lousy recruiter (left the cupboard bare for Barbee).
His base salary in 2008-2009 was $233,600. With incentives he made around $470,000 his last season at UTEP.

Gillespie quote, "I'll be here as long you'll have me." He learned what genuine Mexican food was during his stay in EP, as he picked Kiki's to meet with Aggie's AD Bill Byrne to formulate his departure.

I'm not sure if you have a job or what type of work you do.

I work in the business world. If I was working on an important project for a company and another company offered to double my salary I would bail on that important project and leave in an instant. Anybody would do the same thing.

Reactions: LTMiner61
I'm not sure if you have a job or what type of work you do.

I work in the business world. If I was working on an important project for a company and another company offered to double my salary I would bail on that important project and leave in an instant. Anybody would do the same thing.
Wrong. Speak for yourself and not "anybody". There are other ways to handle a situation like that. If I were in charge of your old and new company, I would know you are not loyal, don't follow through and are easily replaceable..

Last edited:
Is it a coincidence that after the Bear passed, all of his disciples started to suck.

Wrong. Speak for yourself and not "anybody". There are other ways to handle a situation like that. If I were in charge of your old and new company, I would know you are not loyal, don't follow through and are easily replacable.

The new company would be the one making the offer. They wouldn't make an offer to increase my salary if I was easily replaceable. Also, not sure what you mean that that person wouldn't be loyal and and not sure what following through has to do with anything when somebody goes to another company that offers a higher salary.

If I got an offer that would double my salary, increase by salary by 50%, etc. I would take it in an instant. Anybody would do the same thing.

The new company would be the one making the offer. They wouldn't make an offer to increase my salary if I was easily replaceable. Also, not sure what you mean that that person wouldn't be loyal and and not sure what following through has to do with anything when somebody goes to another company that offers a higher salary.

If I got an offer that would double my salary, increase by salary by 50%, etc. I would take it in an instant. Anybody would do the same thing.

Not necessarily true. Those who think money is the key to happiness are most likely the ones who would jump. No judgement either way. However, with that said, there is a growing segment of the population yearning for a more meaningful way of life. Turns out that there is wisdom in the concept that money ain't everything.

Not necessarily true. Those who think money is the key to happiness are most likely the ones who would jump. No judgement either way. However, with that said, there is a growing segment of the population yearning for a more meaningful way of life. Turns out that there is wisdom in the concept that money ain't everything.

Sure, money isn't everything, but anybody would take the same job and switch companies to make more money.

When you make minimum wage, doubling your pay is huge.

Very true.

The difference in happiness when making $5000.00 and $50,000.00 was huge in a landmark study. However the difference in happiness between one who made $50K and 5 mil was non-existent. The study revealed that when basic needs are met, money no longer adds to happiness. All perennial philosophies/religions point to that same understanding.

Reactions: unihorn
So if a company offered to doubled your salary or the several people you know you/they wouldn't take it?

I didn't take it when offered. Nor do I regret it. Without sounding holier than thou, I gave that game up a while ago. I only played it in the first place because society says that's what we should do.

But nor do I think poverty, whether voluntary or involuntary, is any better than spending one's life chasing the almighty dollar.

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT