ADVERTISEMENT

Keeler of SHSU is a candidate

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
1st time I've seen someone come out and say coach "x" is a candidate rather than UTEP should look at this candidate. I hope it's correct as Keeler would be a solid hire for UTEP.

Bradley Mason‏@bradthetruth 1h1 hour ago

Sam Houston State (FCS – TX) head coach K.C. Keeler is a candidate for the head coaching opening at UTEP. Keeler is 44-11 leading the Bearkats since 2014, and prior to that was the head coach at Delaware, where he went 85-52 with a national title in 2003

That’s great news. Hope we find out about other good candidates.

A follow up tweet by a Miner fan received this response:

David Ramos‏@spyder312000 1h1 hour ago

Replying to @bradthetruth

How serious of a candidate is he? Has he expressed interest?

9:03 AM - 30 Nov 2017

1 reply 2 retweets 1 like

Replying to
3fc32230e8a3b0eb3bf465f6d02e7a51_normal.jpeg
Tweet text

Bradley Mason‏@bradthetruth 22m22 minutes ago

• Replying to @spyder312000
    Very serious . Alone with Mack Brown.

2 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

Very serious. Alone with Mack Brown.

Funny!

Do you think he meant "along" with Mack Brown? I wouldn't want Mack Brown. We need somebody young and hungry. An up an comer IMO.

Reactions: Prospero915
Very serious. Alone with Mack Brown.

Funny!

Do you think he meant "along" with Mack Brown? I wouldn't want Mack Brown. We need somebody young and hungry. An up an comer IMO.

There is no way Mack has put his name in the running. He is probably going to be UT's next AD.

Interesting comment that I do not get. He has been in Texas a while now, recruits very well and runs a high octane offense and wins a lot. What is it that you don't like?

He's coached at two fcs powerhouses, Deleware and SHSU. He's always been the big fish in a small pond. Both are very successful programs in fertile recruiting areas. Delaware gets a lot of Pennsylvania kids. When he got to SHSU he inherited a great program and tradition. What I don't like is that he's never been at out the way school where you have to have a national recruiting strategy. He's never had to build a program from scratch. He's always had the advantage of being at solidified fcs power. That's very different than UTEP. You need a coach who has dealt with some of the same issues UTEP has. UTEP has more unique issues than most other schools. There are experiences that can help you with a job like UTEP I don't think keeler has those. Hes a very good coach just not a great fit for UTEP.

What I like about Houston is that he won at the Citadel which is a very tough place to win like UTEP. If his resume was only James Madison I would have the same issue with him. James Madison has the best facilities and most money in the fcs. What he did at the Citadel is very impressive.

Last edited:
He's coached at two fcs powerhouses, Deleware and SHSU. He's always been the big fish in a small pond. Both are very successful programs in fertile recruiting areas. Delaware gets a lot of Pennsylvania kids. When he got to SHSU he inherited a great program and tradition. What I don't like is that he's never been at out the way school where you have to have a national recruiting strategy. He's never had to build a program from scratch. He's always had the advantage of being at solidified fcs power. That's very different than UTEP. You need a coach who has dealt with some of the same issues UTEP has. UTEP has more unique issues than most other schools. There are experiences that can help you with a job like UTEP I don't think keeler has those. Hes a very good coach just not a great fit for UTEP.

What I like about Houston is that he won at the Citadel which is a very tough place to win like UTEP. If his resume was only James Madison I would have the same issue with him. James Madison has the best facilities and most money in the fcs. What he did at the Citadel is very impressive.
Sounds like Kugler mentality... We need a winner. period.

Another source.

UTEP: Sources tell FootballScoop that Sam Houston State (FCS – TX) head coach K.C. Keeler is a candidate for the head coaching opening at UTEP. Keeler is 44-11 leading the Bearkats since 2014, and prior to that was the head coach at Delaware, where he went 85-52 with a national title in 2003, and two more appearances in the FCS national title game with the Blue Hens (2007 and 2010). Keeler currently has the program in the FCS playoffs and is 10-1. If Keeler is the choice for UTEP, this could be a real life Nuclear Winter scenario; however we would not expect Keeler to formally interview or make any decisions before Sam Houston’s playoff run is over.

I like Keeler as candidate. He's older, but if we can attract solid assistants, I think we have a chance to begin to turn this around. Time is ticking, so the sooner the better.

Reactions: Prospero915

I agree that Mike Houston would also be a great hire but he only had 2 seasons at the Citadel, one losing and one winning. He did very well prior to the Citadel in Div ll as did Keeler prior to Delaware. I think either of these 2 would be great hires for UTEP with Houston being younger but Keeler having Texas recruiting ties.

Mike Houston’s teams play some great defense but can also put up a ton of points. He completely shut down Keelers offense last season in the playoffs, JMU won 65-7. Yes Houston had one losing at the Citadel but that was his first season there. He turned it around the following season and beat South Carolina as well. UTEP football needs a young hungry coach trying to make a name for himself. Not a coach who is about to reach his 60’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPDefense
Mike Houston’s teams play some great defense but can also put up a ton of points. He completely shut down Keelers offense last season in the playoffs, JMU won 65-7. Yes Houston had one losing at the Citadel but that was his first season there. He turned it around the following season and beat South Carolina as well.
Yes, a dominant performance by JMU but the SHSU QB was banged up and had a bad day partially because of that. It happens. Still both very good coaches.

Mike Houston is my #1 choice by far. His record is outstanding and can do more with less. Close the deal Senter, time to bring Houston to ELP.

A winner knows how to win at any level.

That's the dumbest most over simplistic statement ever. Plenty of winning coaches lose because they go to schools who are bad fits. Just look at every winning coach the last twenty who left Montana. They sucked at the fbs level. They were still good coaches just didn't find a fit. There are hundreds of examples of coaches who won at every level but had a terrible record at one particular spot because it wasn't a fit.

Reactions: LaserCoog
Hey guys. SHSU alum and fan here. Here's what you would get with Keeler. He is a guy that is extremely confident in his own abilities. He talks a big game and usually backs it up. To some, he comes off as some sort of used car salesman but he is a successful coach and recruiter. He is a "CEO" type coach, not necessarily an Xs and Os guy. He hires coordinators and lets them do the job. Even though he is in his upper 50s, he doesn't act like it and he will bring energy to your program. He has proven he can recruit in the Northeast U.S. and East Texas so he should be able to recruit to El Paso. His age might be a benefit if you do hire him. He likely would not be looking for the next big job. He might stick around for 8-10 years if he is successful. Personally, I don't want to lose him but most of us feel it is inevitable that he moves on...

That's the dumbest most over simplistic statement ever. Plenty of winning coaches lose because they go to schools who are bad fits. Just look at every winning coach the last twenty who left Montana. They sucked at the fbs level. They were still good coaches just didn't find a fit. There are hundreds of examples of coaches who won at every level but had a terrible record at one particular spot because it wasn't a fit.

So true. Exhibit A: Lou Holtz is one of my favorite human beings. Killer record in college (Arkansas, Notre Dame, Minnesota), but complete bomb with the Jets.

Last edited:
Hey guys. SHSU alum and fan here. Here's what you would get with Keeler. He is a guy that is extremely confident in his own abilities. He talks a big game and usually backs it up. To some, he comes off as some sort of used car salesman but he is a successful coach and recruiter. He is a "CEO" type coach, not necessarily an Xs and Os guy. He hires coordinators and lets them do the job. Even though he is in his upper 50s, he doesn't act like it and he will bring energy to your program. He has proven he can recruit in the Northeast U.S. and East Texas so he should be able to recruit to El Paso. His age might be a benefit if you do hire him. He likely would not be looking for the next big job. He might stick around for 8-10 years if he is successful. Personally, I don't want to lose him but most of us feel it is inevitable that he moves on...
Thanks Daytripper6364.

PJ Hall is a senior. He has been a 4-year starter for us and during that time was the best d-lineman in FCS. He will likely get drafted this year. He's a good guy too.

PJ. Out of ole Seguin, TX. My son played against him all of HS. Pretty sure they still chat on occasion.

Reactions: LTMiner61
A follow up tweet by a Miner fan received this response:

David Ramos‏@spyder312000 1h1 hour ago

Replying to @bradthetruth

How serious of a candidate is he? Has he expressed interest?

9:03 AM - 30 Nov 2017

1 reply 2 retweets 1 like

Replying to
3fc32230e8a3b0eb3bf465f6d02e7a51_normal.jpeg
Tweet text

Bradley Mason‏@bradthetruth 22m22 minutes ago

• Replying to @spyder312000
    Very serious . Alone with Mack Brown.

2 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

LOL Mack Brown. I hope he has the next Vince Young in his pocket, because he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. He used to be able to recruit though. IMO Mike Price is the opposite of Brown, where Price is a better coach than recruiter. The one positive of Mack is that you get the scenes of his life unraveling before your eyes while he's on the sideline.

mack-brown-and-a-texas-girl-react-to-case-mccoy-pick-six.gif

I think PJ originally showed up on campus as a tight end. The d-coordinator saw his athleticism and stole him from the offense, I guess.

I remember hearing that. I was baffled by it because he was a helluva d-end in HS. SHSU coaching staff ended up making a good decision.

LOL Mack Brown. I hope he has the next Vince Young in his pocket, because he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. He used to be able to recruit though. IMO Mike Price is the opposite of Brown, where Price is a better coach than recruiter. The one positive of Mack is that you get the scenes of his life unraveling before your eyes while he's on the sideline.

mack-brown-and-a-texas-girl-react-to-case-mccoy-pick-six.gif

Mack Brown has accomplished more in his career than your sorry ass could even imagine.

Keeler is a good coach — he’s had the Bearkats in the playoffs each year he’s been there. Good eye for talent, and for spotting good assistant coaches.

He won a national championship at Delaware. Delaware then went Nebraska on him and let him go. He jumps up to next level and goes to SHSU and gets them winning. How's that simplistic? I mean that sincerely. You know some booster people with money in upper level of Texas FBS football. Do you know something about the guy that should be shared? Are his recruiting ties not that strong? Does he have baggage? Would he not fit in El Paso?

He won a national championship at Delaware. Delaware then went Nebraska on him and let him go. He jumps up to next level and goes to SHSU and gets them winning. How's that simplistic? I mean that sincerely. You know some booster people with money in upper level of Texas FBS football. Do you know something about the guy that should be shared? Are his recruiting ties not that strong? Does he have baggage? Would he not fit in El Paso?

Well said. And your original comment, which totally reminds me of a Yogi Berraism, is so true. I got what you were saying.

KC Keeler stayed at Delaware for 9 more seasons after he won the national championship. Out of those 9 seasons: 3 of those seasons were very good, 3 seasons were average, and 3 seasons were losing seasons.

It looks like he had a rather consistent formula: He made the national championship game and quarterfinals......followed by 2 subpar seasons. Then he made the national championship game.....followed by 2 subpar seasons. Then he made the national championship game.....followed by 2 subpar seasons and then fired.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._C._Keeler

Reactions: MineroFanatico
KC Keeler stayed at Delaware for 9 more seasons after he won the national championship. Out of those 9 seasons: 3 of those seasons were very good, 3 seasons were average, and 3 seasons were losing seasons.

It looks like he had a rather consistent formula: He made the national championship game and quarterfinals......followed by 2 subpar seasons. Then he made the national championship game.....followed by 2 subpar seasons. Then he made the national championship game.....followed by 2 subpar seasons and then fired.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._C._Keeler

I'd take that any day. Since it's unrealistic that UTEP will ever even sniff at a natty, imagine replacing those trips to the national championship with trips to the conference championship, which isnt out of the realm of possibility. We as fans would be in utopia or UTEPIA.:cool:If it truly is formulaic and he thinks he could even come close to continuing that consistent formula here, bring the guy on.

Reactions: axingfools1
Getting a little rude in your old age? Truth is, Stull resurrected UMass and then UTEP, moved on to Missouri which is much easier to recruit to than UTEP, and failed. No matter who UTEP hires, big name (won't happen) or up and comer that checks all of your boxes or mine, it will be a crap shoot to a certain extent. Houston, Keeler or Fobbs from Grambling are all good coaches and I would be happy with any of them or with a number of others also. As long as we don't hire some random position coach that once played at UTEP then we are better off than we have been for the past 5 seasons.

Just for the heck of it here is an article on fcs coaches that this writer thinks are ready for fbs jobs. Houston is #1 and Keeler #4 on the list. UTEP would be fortunate to have either.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/6-fcs-head-coaches-who-could-become-fbs-candidates#1

Makes sense for Keeler to leave now since majority of his key players are seniors.

I hope Senter is also talking to Chris Thomsen. He would be a very good hire, too — good coach, solid recruiter, and a program builder.

Getting a little rude in your old age? Truth is, Stull resurrected UMass and then UTEP, moved on to Missouri which is much easier to recruit to than UTEP, and failed. No matter who UTEP hires, big name (won't happen) or up and comer that checks all of your boxes or mine, it will be a crap shoot to a certain extent. Houston, Keeler or Fobbs from Grambling are all good coaches and I would be happy with any of them or with a number of others also. As long as we don't hire some random position coach that once played at UTEP then we are better off than we have been for the past 5 seasons.

Just for the heck of it here is an article on fcs coaches that this writer thinks are ready for fbs jobs. Houston is #1 and Keeler #4 on the list. UTEP would be fortunate to have either.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/6-fcs-head-coaches-who-could-become-fbs-candidates#1

It's a message board sometimes I get a little carried away. I like 2step I was just trying to make a point. The big issue like I've stated before with keeler are his experiences. At Delaware he took over an fcs power from a legendary hall of fame coach Tubby Raymond who won 300 games at Deleware. At SHSU he took over for Willie Fritz who at been to back to back national championship games. Both schools were fcs powers and he stepped into turn key jobs. To his credit he did great, I take nothing away from him.

My concern is that this situation is so much different from anything he's dealt with. This is not a turn key it's a complete rebuild. We are not an established name with established recruiting pipelines. To win at UTEP you have to recruit nationally, there are very few d1 prospects within a 300 mile radius.You have to sell an isolated city far away from home. You have to sell a commuter school, and unfortunately you have to overcome alot of negative recruiting about the city. In addition you really have to get out and sale the program to a community and program to the city. In reality no school is like UTEP. Saying all that I know we can build a consistent winner at UTEP. It just takes the right coach to do it. I think there are experiences that help a coach be successful. You mentioned Stull. UMASS football was a great stop to help him prepare him for UTEP. It's still hard to sell UMASS football. Not a lot of recruits, the campus isn't a lively place. It's kind of isolated in rural Massachusetts. He had to build it. It prepared him well for UTEP. The only thing that scares me about Keeler is that this job is so much different that anything he's done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT