ADVERTISEMENT

Kelvin Jones

The young man had such major upside and fire in his gut. I don't blame his dad for being how he was because of the violence in Mexico which made many on the "Fronterizo" to cross over and start a new life. There was a communication break down between Jones, his dad and Floyd.

The young man had such major upside and fire in his gut. I don't blame his dad for being how he was because of the violence in Mexico which made many on the "Fronterizo" to cross over and start a new life. There was a communication break down between Jones, his dad and Floyd.
His numbers at Idaho State were pretty good. The reasons given by his pop to leave UTEP ostensibly had to do with playing time. I think he would have had just as much playing time if he'd stuck around at UTEP, maybe more, since he was about to become THE big man.

Then he transferred from Idaho State to a really good Creighton team, where he DID NOT get much playing time. And he didn't get to experience the NCAA Tourney, either, due to COVID.

I really don't understand what he wanted. If it was all about playing time, the Creighton transfer makes no sense.

Kelvin Jones is joining former Coronado HS player, 6’10 center Daniel Amigo on the Mexican National team. Two El Paso connections on that team.

Reactions: Lil_Train
His numbers at Idaho State were pretty good. The reasons given by his pop to leave UTEP ostensibly had to do with playing time. I think he would have had just as much playing time if he'd stuck around at UTEP, maybe more, since he was about to become THE big man.

Then he transferred from Idaho State to a really good Creighton team, where he DID NOT get much playing time. And he didn't get to experience the NCAA Tourney, either, due to COVID.

I really don't understand what he wanted. If it was all about playing time, the Creighton transfer makes no sense.
He contributed quite a bit at Creighton before getting injured. I'm not sure why Floyd didn't play him more. .

He was a perpetual foul machine, I'm sure he would have played more but he seemed to pick up quick fouls in bunches. Hard to play a guy a lot with that. On a side note saw Mexico vs Puerto Rico in Chihuahua. Jones did not play but Amigo is a really deft passer for a big man and can score a bit as well.

He was a perpetual foul machine, I'm sure he would have played more but he seemed to pick up quick fouls in bunches. Hard to play a guy a lot with that. On a side note saw Mexico vs Puerto Rico in Chihuahua. Jones did not play but Amigo is a really deft passer for a big man and can score a bit as well.
Yes he did often foul/foul out. Looking back at his numbers were a bit better than I remembered. His year at Idaho State was pretty good in fact. By the time he got to Creighton he didn't foul as much and provided decent contribution to a good team. Should of stayed.

I "think" it's the mindset of today's youth. His dad "probably" influenced him incorrectly by believing he was a star. He might have developed better if he would have stuck to ONE school instead of 35.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I "think" it's the mindset of today's youth. His dad "probably" influenced him incorrectly by believing he was a star. He might have developed better if he would have stuck to ONE school instead of 35.
Floyd didn’t help dispel that perception. He once said something along the lines of “Kelvin is raw but is a potential NBA guy”. I’m sure dad was like “Hell, if he’s NBA material, why isn’t he on the court more?” Or something like that.

Floyd didn’t help dispel that perception. He once said something along the lines of “Kelvin is raw but is a potential NBA guy”. I’m sure dad was like “Hell, if he’s NBA material, why isn’t he on the court more?” Or something like that.
exactly

Meh — desperation recruit by dick Floyd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT